HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 4:27 AM

In my opinion, this is welcome news (if it does go through). For that price, the Riders will get an excellent outdoor stadium. The location is central enough, but doesn't waste prime real estate, which is a win-win. This is exactly what I had argued for all along (an outdoor stadium on land outside of the rail lands).

I'm also glad to see that many Reginans and forumers also support this idea now - even those who ridiculed the idea a short time ago. Where are those who were saying "an outdoor stadium is useless, as it won't be used for 7 months a year"? Where are those who said "the feasibility study ruled out an outdoor stadium"? And even though the stadium is no longer on the CP lands and is no longer retractable roof, the revitalization will still move forward (more welcome news) - it's funny how quickly some forget that they were saying "the Stadium is the CATALYST for the revitalization - it's the centrepiece".

Anyway, I'll eagerly follow the next steps, and see if the Province is willing to step up to the plate.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 4:41 AM
Hmm....

I still think building an open air stadium is a waste of money (although not as much of a waste of money as reno-ing Mosaic), but if this is the only option other than staying in the junkheap that is mosaic until it collapses and we lose our team, I'm not going to b*tch and moan about it since that's just a waste of time. So don't worry, we are still here, we just tend to move on and make the best of situations available.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 7:48 AM

In time you'll warm to the outdoor proposal. In reality the retractable-roof was a waste of money, this stadium gets used 10 days the dome would of seen use of maybe 20-25 days of revenue generating events. We can get a quality stadium for the price proposed versus the.. Let's be honest.. Dumpy dome that was originally proposed (Fargo was used as a test example, the Fargodome is crap.. We deserve better). We should get a design that trumps Winnipeg, Hamilton, and Ottawa - a truly world class mid-sized outdoor facility.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 1:36 PM

Well, nothing is final; however, it is sure remarkable as to how things shifted all at once. (Covered design downtown to open-air at the Exhibition Grounds.) But if that's what it will be, then we'll run with it. If it is built on the Exhibition Grounds - can you imagine the parking issues that will result?

I have to agree with Nathan; a new outdoor stadium will sit just as unused as Mosaic does. Moreover, to construct an open-air stadium is MOST short-sighted and hasty. (Compared to that of a domed facility.) It would be real missed opportunity at that.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 2:14 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Well, nothing is final; however, it is sure remarkable as to how things shifted all at once. (Covered design downtown to open-air at the Exhibition Grounds.) But if that's what it will be, then we'll run with it. If it is built on the Exhibition Grounds - can you imagine the parking issues that will result?

I have to agree with Nathan; a new outdoor stadium will sit just as unused as Mosaic does. Moreover, to construct an open-air stadium is MOST short-sighted and hasty. (Compared to that of a domed facility.) It would be real missed opportunity at that.
There was 0 parking proposed at CP - so there will undoubtedly be more parking at Evraz.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 4:07 PM

JOHNSTONE: Regina's new stadium plan sensible, doable

BY BRUCE JOHNSTONE, LEADER-POST MAY 4, 2012

Read more: http://www.leaderpost.com/business/J...#ixzz1u0q7vzdB

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
There was 0 parking proposed at CP - so there will undoubtedly be more parking at Evraz.
Except that now there will be zero utilization of downtown parking. I'm a bit bummed about that. Now, I (and thousands others) park downtown and walk to the stadium. Very few will do that with the location of the new stadium.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 6:37 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
Except that now there will be zero utilization of downtown parking. I'm a bit bummed about that. Now, I (and thousands others) park downtown and walk to the stadium. Very few will do that with the location of the new stadium.
The proposed location is a block further than its current - I don't think that extra block will change where people park or how they get to the game.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 7:05 PM

Yeah i dont think walking there is going to be a big issue, if you have too. I just cant wait for this to happen and yes i would love to see a stadium that trumps winnipeg, hamilton and ottawa. Someone said in the stadium form about how winnipegs satdium cost 190mil well are's will cost 280mil. That just means are stadium will be balling on 20's(no spinners) haha , well winnipeg sits on 16's. In any case both satdiums will make thier provinces look good. Since this is no longer a multipurpose entertainement facility, i hope we can call it the regina stadium now or something??

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 8:11 PM

so on the CP yards, are they just gonna put offices and stores, etc? instead of the stadium.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 8:16 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le-TanK- View Post
so on the CP yards, are they just gonna put offices and stores, etc? instead of the stadium.
The city can get 17.5 acres out of the 33 that is on the site, and they say the plan is to have commercial, residential, and possibly some entertainment type developments. I'm assuming that also means higher density stuff, like minimum 4-5 storeys, but time will tell I guess.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 8:18 PM

Regina already has an open air stadium...its called Mosaic Stadium at Taylor Field. there is nothing wrong with Mosaic Stadium...nothing!...
WASTE WASTE WASTE.

i can understand the reasoning behind a dome stadium but not an open air stadium

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 8:36 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpaul View Post
Regina already has an open air stadium...its called Mosaic Stadium at Taylor Field. there is nothing wrong with Mosaic Stadium...nothing!...
WASTE WASTE WASTE.

i can understand the reasoning behind a dome stadium but not an open air stadium
Methinks you have never been in the east stands? During the lightning/hail storm in 2007 against Edmonton, it took upwards of 30 mins for everyone in the east side to be able to get under the stands for protection. Also... many thought there was nothing wrong with Ottawa's stadium... that worked out well right? A short while after they had a packed stadium, they noticed cracks and had to condemn it. Mosaic was built at about the same time... and I doubt construction standards were higher here...

It's old, obsolete, and there is no point in redeveloping it (portions would defiinitely have to be torn down and rebuilt) on its current site as there is not enough space to expand it due to streets and surrounding houses.

That is why something new somewhere else is the answer.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 8:44 PM

It's a bit of a bummer for you folks that you're not building a retractable roof stadium. I was all for it but I have to say I've completely changed my mind and think an open roof stadium at Evraz is the way to go. Evraz Place is a huge asset for your city and now you can add a stadium to that asset. It's still very close to downtown, parking is there,the city owns the land, all these facilities in one complex and now maybe you'll also get another reno to Brandt Centre. I don't know why some are against putting it at Evraz. The downtown yards can be used for more worthy projects and you'll also still be getting a connection to the warehouse district with a pedestrian bridge. I also don't understand the reasoning that it's a waste of money to build another open air facility because you already have an open air stadium. You're getting a NEW stadium.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 8:49 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
It's a bit of a bummer for you folks that you're not building a retractable roof stadium. I was all for it but I have to say I've completely changed my mind and think an open roof stadium at Evraz is the way to go. Evraz Place is a huge asset for your city and now you can add a stadium to that asset. It's still very close to downtown, parking is there,the city owns the land, all these facilities in one complex and now maybe you'll also get another reno to Brandt Centre. I don't know why some are against putting it at Evraz. The downtown yards can be used for more worthy projects and you'll also still be getting a connection to the warehouse district with a pedestrian bridge. I also don't understand the reasoning that it's a waste of money to build another open air facility because you already have an open air stadium. You're getting a NEW stadium.
As long as the city invests some money into the exhibition grounds for beautification... because as it stands now, that place is kind of a dump...

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
As long as the city invests some money into the exhibition grounds for beautification... because as it stands now, that place is kind of a dump...
It's still a lot better than the neighbourhood Mosaic is in right now.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 11:02 PM

This is good news and exactly what several of us have been calling for since the whole stadium debate started. The entertainment/sports dome was an interesting concept but was not based in economic reality. It was fine as long as someone else was going to pay for the whole thing. It is interesting that this new outdoor stadium is being paid for by public money (city,province) and not by all of the private companies that were supposed to be standing in line to pay for the stadium. They found out that private companies do not pay to build public stadiums. Now that the basic plan has been decided, I do expect private companies to step forward to pay for naming rights, purchasing suites, etc. which will help raise funds for the stadium. Overall a good, sensible day for the city of Regina. I can't wait for the new renderings.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 11:07 PM
Canadian Urbanite

I would say that Mosaic is one of the worst sports facilities in this country - so I don't see a new stadium as redundant. And I'm one of the rare people who isn't a diehard Rider fan.

Mosaic right now is in the middle of a residential neighbourhood that generates nothing for North Central. That site in itself is worth moving the stadium for - the neighbourhood is better served by affordable housing and local commercial services that are severely lacking in the area.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Methinks you have never been in the east stands? During the lightning/hail storm in 2007 against Edmonton, it took upwards of 30 mins for everyone in the east side to be able to get under the stands for protection. Also... many thought there was nothing wrong with Ottawa's stadium... that worked out well right? A short while after they had a packed stadium, they noticed cracks and had to condemn it. Mosaic was built at about the same time... and I doubt construction standards were higher here...

It's old, obsolete, and there is no point in redeveloping it (portions would defiinitely have to be torn down and rebuilt) on its current site as there is not enough space to expand it due to streets and surrounding houses.

That is why something new somewhere else is the answer.

I had season tickets on the east side for 3 years and the first time I sat on the east side was in 1974. Moving 12000 people is not instant in any stadium. to me, instead of spending 278 million for an open air facility, spend the extra and build a dome stadium..thats my thoughts on this.

Last edited by mjpaul; May 6, 2012 at 2:36 AM.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 2:30 AM

so we can afford $278 million but NOT $431 million.

what ever happened to our progressive thinkers? epically huge mistake being made here,,,,

they could have built the dome at Evraz place if they needed to save on land costs. hopefully the dome debate will rersurface

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan