HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 1, 2013, 9:27 PM

Anyone ever noticed how dirty One Woodward has gotten over the years?

Photo credit; Detroit Regional News Hub

Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 8:05 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Can't say that I ever did, but I love the reaction of the guy that got caught looking at the camera. lol So Detroit.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 1:59 PM
Honored Member

That would make for a great meme.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 7:32 PM

Construction has started on the old Federal Reserve Bank.

Photo credit; Detroit Regional News Hub

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Demolition begins for historic Brewster-Douglass homes
DARREN A. NICHOLS - THE DETROIT NEWS - SEPTEMBER 4, 2013

Detroit — The city began the long-awaited demolition of the historic Brewster-Douglass homes Wednesday, tearing down a chronic symbol of blight in Detroit.

Detroit Mayor Dave Bing and U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan were on hand to commemorate the occasion. The Detroit Housing Commission has been awarded $6.5 million from HUD’s Capital Fund Emergency Grant Program to pay for the demolition.

[....]

Demolition will be done in two phases. In the first phase, the row houses will be torn down. During the second phase, which is expected to begin early next year, the mid-rise houses will be demolished and next year the four high-rise towers will follow.

Mayor Dave Bing said it marked a major achievement in the effort to tear down abandoned buildings in Detroit. So far, the city has torn down 8,000 abandoned buildings and is on target to reach his goal of 10,000 by the end of the year.

“The beginning of demolition today is another great example of what can be done through partnerships. It takes everyone working together to transform our city,” Bing said. “This is not the end of the Brewster projects. This is a new beginning.”

City officials said the Brewster-Wheeler Recreation Center will not be demolished. The city will look for ways to reopen the facility for young people and senior citizens.

[...]

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2dwk1Ycf0

Last edited by animatedmartian; Sep 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM. Reason: more detailed article

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 7:18 AM

I'm glad they are saving the Brewster-Wheeler Recreation Center. This demolition is absolutely necessary, but it's also a bit bitter sweet. I kind of wish they'd kept the towers and did infill around them like they did with the Jeffries Homes-turned-Woodbridge Estates, but I'm not going to cry about it either way. I also hope that whatever replaces this site, that they reconnect the street grid in the area.

So much opportunity, here. Bye, bye, Brewster.

Florence Ballard and the Supremes in the Brewster Projects, their old neighborhood on Detroit's east side. by Pan-African News Wire File Photos, on Flickr

Last edited by LMich; Sep 5, 2013 at 8:04 AM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 11:40 AM

Personally, I don't think they're all that attractive of buildings and I'd rather have some thing a little more updated and dense in it's place. A restored grid doesn't seem exactly necessarily since the area forms a wedge shape from Wilkins to Brush, but I imagine there's a lot of potential for creativity given the size and location.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Detroit Meijer store stalled
MICHAEL MARTINEZ THE DETROIT NEWS

Grand Rapids-based grocer Meijer Inc.’s plans for a second Detroit store have been stalled by the city’s bankruptcy case.

Meijer filed a motion Friday asking U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Steven Rhodes to lift an automatic stay on lawsuits against the city triggered by the bankruptcy filing. The company cannot move forward on developing a lot in northwest Detroit for a superstore because of “private use restrictions” that limit the site’s use to residential purposes.

Meijer argued those restrictions are inconsistent with the current zoning of several lots as a retail district. The company said it can only change those restrictions by suing the city, something prohibited by the bankruptcy judge.

According to the filing, the development site was rezoned by the city in November 2011 as a planned development district consisting of a large retail center, gas station and multiple-tenant retail building.

But the site still contains “private building and use restrictions” that have halted development.

Meijer, in its filing, said it “believes the city has no objection to the relief sought in this motion.” The grocer is not seeking any money by suing the city, and is only doing so because a law says a city must be named as a party in any complaint to vacate, correct or revise the use of a site.
From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2eG8E4yvV

I feel kinda ignorant on how zoning works, but how is it zoned for retail but limited to residential use? Wouldn't that mean it's zoned for residential? Wouldn't the restrictions be voided by the rezoning? And how would a bankruptcy or non-bankruptcy effect that?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 7:15 AM

This is bizarre, and I think the News probably should have done a bit more research before sending this to print, because I'm sure that's a very simple question to answer. I'm also surprised by this, but Detroit government has all kinds of little obstacles that many of the bureacrats probably don't even know about. You'd think a rezoning would obviously wipe clean these "private building and use restrictions", or at least the ones that don't conform to the new zoning classification of the site.

What's crazy is that the city is actually for this project, and the bankruptcy unknowingly stalled this.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 6:41 AM

This flew completely under the radar, but one of the high rise hotels in Southfield was demo'd a couple of weeks ago. The only article that I found about it basically says Southfield has plans for redevelopment but doesn't specific what type.

Video Link

Among other news these past few weeks.

Quote:
LINK DETROIT CONSTRUCTION BEGINS, LET'S CELEBRATE!

By David Sands | September 6, 2013

DETROIT—On your mark, get set, go! Detroit's next big biking and walking project is about to rush past the starting line.

Construction on Link Detroit, a multi-modal enhancement plan put forth by the city to enhance and connect existing greenways projects is now underway. When completed in November 2014, it will create an accessible network of routes for cyclists and pedestrians between major destinations like Eastern Market, Hamtramck, the RiverWalk, downtown Detroit and Midtown.

The city of Detroit and other partner organizations believe the multimodal enhancement plan will spur the regional economy while providing cost-effective non-motorized travel options to local workers and residents.

To start with, Eastern Market will be getting a major upgrade. The street curbs on Russell Street will be lined up in a consistent manner, and the area will be spruced up with trees and greenery. In addition, new bike parking structures will be installed at the district's main parking lot and at the corner of Russell and Wilkins.

The market will also feature easy access to the Dequindre Cut, a below-street level biking and walking path built on an old railroad line in downtown Detroit, which will be extended as part of the project. Currently, it runs from Woodbridge Street near the Milliken State Park at the riverfront to Gratiot Avenue. The extension will take it a mile north to Mack Avenue. Three bridges spanning the Cut will also be repaired and another taken down.

"You will be able to get up to Wilkins Street, where there will be an exit and entrance ramp... and you will be also able to continue to go further up to Mack Avenue," said Ellefson. "You will be able to continue biking on Dequindre Cut without having to cross the crazy seven-lane freeways at Gratiot at that point."

Another connection will link Eastern Market with Detroit's Midtown neighborhood, home to cultural attractions like the Michigan Science Center and the Detroit Institute of Arts. A new phase of the 1.8 mile Midtown Loop greenway will allow cyclists and pedestrians easy access to the market along a route that stretches across Mack, Brush and Wilkins.

A final component of Link Detroit, called the Hamtramck Connector, will join the Dequindre Cut with trails in Hamtramck via a striped bike lane running east on Mack and then north on St. Aubin.
http://wearemodeshift.org/link-detro...lets-celebrate

Connecting Detroit TIGER IV Grant by wearemodeshift, on Flickr

Dequindre Cut Before by wearemodeshift, on Flickr

Dequindre Cut After by wearemodeshift, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 7:50 AM

I really want someone to get construction shots of this. I had to do some aerial research to picture this to get oriented (not an eastsider, lol). It appears that apart from Wilkins being where the cut begins to end and the railway brought to grade, which would make sense for why they chose it as the location of the entrance and exit ramps, that Wilkins will also be the road they use to get the trail coming from the other way (Midtown Loop Phase 4) over the Chrysler. This is all good news, because there is currently no direct crosswalk to the market once the cut takes you up on the monster that is Graitot.

Which bridge is being brought down, though? Between Wilkins and Gratiot you have Alfred, Division and Adelaide.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
I really want someone to get construction shots of this. I had to do some aerial research to picture this to get oriented (not an eastsider, lol). It appears that apart from Wilkins being where the cut begins to end and the railway brought to grade, which would make sense for why they chose it as the location of the entrance and exit ramps, that Wilkins will also be the road they use to get the trail coming from the other way (Midtown Loop Phase 4) over the Chrysler. This is all good news, because there is currently no direct crosswalk to the market once the cut takes you up on the monster that is Graitot.

Which bridge is being brought down, though? Between Wilkins and Gratiot you have Alfred, Division and Adelaide.
Apparently Alfred.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...ction-soon.php

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 12:42 PM

You know, I was just thinking about how awesome it'd be if they could ultimately connect this to Highland Park's unused east-west railway, completely forgetting that we'd discussed this some months back, I believe. So, I was going around ModeShift, and he's the map, again, that shows a seperate, but connected, long-term project: The Detroit Inner Circle Greenway.

Quote:
Known as the Detroit Inner Circle Greenway, the route is being put together by the City of Detroit with the assistance of a coalition that includes the Michigan Trails and Greenways Alliance and the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan. The cities of Dearborn, Hamtramck and Highland Park are also helping handle parts of the greenway that pass through their jurisdictions.

The 26-mile route would fall roughly between Wyoming and Mt. Elliot to the west and east, and McNichols and the Detroit River to the north and south. It would join together the Dequindre Cut, Detroit RiverWalk and Southwest Detroit greenways with a number of others now on the verge of being built.

They are saying that half of the loop will be completed by the end of next year with the big challenge remaining purchasing an 8.3 mile section of Conrail railway (Detroit Terminal Railroad) you can see running through the northwestern part of the inner-city into Highland Park:

MichiganRailroads

Last edited by LMich; Sep 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 3:29 PM

You know what'd be cool? If they managed to make a path connecting to Palmer Park either on McNichols or Woodward or maybe even both.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 3:51 PM

I love the inner circle greenway concept and I hope they can attract some big grants to make this possible. The Dequindre section IMO is a model for what the US can do in an ultimate situation of pedestrian and bicycle access across the city. To me, it's the non-motorized answer to riders who don't want to drive and may opt out of taking the LRT. Hey, you gotta satisfy everyone.

I agree with animatedmartian though. Palmer Park is a nice pocket of high density and would be nice if it was somehow connected.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Schostak Bros. plans $111 million, 16-story Detroit office tower
September 16, 2013

By Kirk Pinho

Livonia-based Schostak Bros. & Co. plans to build a $111-million, 16-story office building on Monroe Street downtown, the first new major office building construction in Detroit’s central business district since construction on One Kennedy Square began in 2005.

The Detroit Brownfield Redevelopment Authority’s nine-member board has reviewed a $27-million brownfield tax incentive plan for site preparation and infrastructure improvements for the building, which is expected to include first-floor retail space and a parking deck wrapping around Cadillac Tower facing Campus Martius.

Questions about the proposed building’s size were not immediately answered late Monday. Its parking deck would house 1,000 cars.

The two-parcel development site at 32 Monroe and 825 Bates St. is bounded by Monroe, Farmer Street, Bates, Woodward Avenue and Cadillac Square.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...t-office-tower

Aerial reference.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
This is a shame. I think that is one of the best locations for a 50-60 floor skyscraper. Not mid level filler. I guess we have to take what we can get.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
This is a shame. I think that is one of the best locations for a 50-60 floor skyscraper. Not mid level filler. I guess we have to take what we can get.
Why is it a shame? Downtown already has a nearly 50 floor office tower (One Detroit Center a.k.a Comerica Tower) that is probably over half vacant! Why would anyone build another one?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind field View Post
Why is it a shame? Downtown already has a nearly 50 floor office tower (One Detroit Center a.k.a Comerica Tower) that is probably over half vacant! Why would anyone build another one?
Wow this forum is adversarial. No one would build another. But if for some reason demand in the future increase then this would be the prime location. Now it is getting filled up. That is all I was saying.

The last significant skyscraper in this town was built 20 years ago. It's sad.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 3:19 AM

There's plenty of room for taller structures in other locations. I personally never really imagined anything taller than 1001 Woodward going there. As long as there's a complete streetwall and first floor retail along Cadillac Square, Campus Martius, and Monroe street, I'm satisfied.

That'd be a real shame if it was just a wall to a parking garage. But we shall see in the coming weeks whenever they hopefully come up with renderings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations