HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog0212 View Post
What Wellington buildings are you talking about?
Bottom left hand corner of the photo above (southeast corner of Bank and Wellington). The building with the big hole on the right hand side of the roof and a crane in the middle. The entire inside of the building was gutted, only the outside walls preserved.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog0212 View Post
What Wellington buildings are you talking about?
Lower left side of the picture; hollow building with the crane and scaffolding. Former SunLife building, now called the "Wellington Building".

UPDATE; sorry, I didn't see the second page

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I will fully admit that I don't know everything. I don't know what sort of events are held in the old Union Station or what sort of events will be held in the old BMO branch (or the difference between the two venues in terms of usage, but I would be interested to find out). I also don't know the exact dimensions of any of these buildings or the commons/senate.

But I still think we could use an existing building, be it government owned or rented space in a CBD office tower instead of spending millions on a west block bubble.

I also still think that it's a shame that we close so many architectural gems to the public to have a bunch fancy meeting place for diplomats and politicians.

The government has done a fine job killing city streets thru expropriation, security measures and exclusive usage of some historic buildings
The Conference Center (Union Station) is just a bunch of meeting rooms big & small. I've had a few meetings / conferences in there. The main hall is quite nice and it's a shame it's restricted to federal government use.

I'm pretty sure the House of Commons could fit in the Conference Center's main hall. Since the building is already their's it would likely be cheaper to temporarily fit it then trying to add a roof over the West Block.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Shaun View Post
The Conference Center (Union Station) is just a bunch of meeting rooms big & small. I've had a few meetings / conferences in there. The main hall is quite nice and it's a shame it's restricted to federal government use.

I'm pretty sure the House of Commons could fit in the Conference Center's main hall. Since the building is already their's it would likely be cheaper to temporarily fit it then trying to add a roof over the West Block.
Thanks for the info!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 12:37 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Tender spells out two-phase process for restoration of East Block

By Don Butler, OTTAWA CITIZEN February 14, 2014

A recent tender spells out details of the planned restoration of the East Block, Parliament Hill’s most intact building and one of the world’s best examples of High Victorian Gothic architecture.

The tender, posted by Public Works and Government Services Canada, invites proposals for the job of prime consultant for the first phase of the East Block project, part of a 25-year program to preserve and restore Canada’s crumbling Parliament Buildings.

Here’s what the tender reveals about the rehabilitation of the East Block:

Timetable

The work will be done in two phases. The first, focusing on the restoration and seismic upgrade of the building’s 1867 wing, will start in 2017 with completion in 2022.

The second will involve a major renovation of the entire exterior and exterior work and seismic reinforcement for the newer 1910 wing. It won’t begin until the restoration of the Centre Block is finished, likely about 2028.

Cost

The current estimate for the first phase of the project is $187 million, with construction costs representing about $64 million of that amount. There is no cost estimate yet for the second phase.

Scope of the work

The first phase of the project involves replacement of the copper roof, ironwork conservation, rehabilitation of masonry and the exterior envelope, seismic upgrades, window repair or replacement, restoration of stained glass and leaded windows, exterior door repairs, excavation and landscaping, and some minor interior work.

Other work includes the introduction of new lightning protection and “pigeon proofing” the building envelope.

Building condition

There are extensive problems with the exterior masonry, including cracks, erosion and flaking, failed mortar joints, twisted or displaced stones and heavy staining. The stained- and leaded-glass windows are in poor condition, as are many of the dormers and ironwork in the older wing.

All exterior doors are showing signs of weathering and deterioration of finish, and there are leaks in the foundation.

Heritage value

The East Block is designated as a “classified” heritage building, says the tender, “because of its exceptional importance in terms of historical associations, architectural quality and environmental impact.” The stonework and ironwork represent “some of the most remarkable examples of craftsmanship on the Hill and in the country.”

Open for business

The East Block will remain occupied during the first phase of the project, so work must be done in such a manner as to ensure the continuous operation of the building. But it will have to be vacant during the second phase of the work.

Party pooper

It is a high priority of the Senate, the tender advises, to avoid construction on the East Block’s west and south elevations during Canada’s 150th birthday celebrations in 2017.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...732/story.html

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 12:44 AM

2028 will be an exciting year! They'll probably start again on the building repairs, though...

I am excited for 2015-2016, because the Rideau Centre and several construction projects should hopefully be done by then and several more will have started.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 9:10 PM

**sigh**. They're ALWAYS doing renos at Parliament hill. Will there EVER be a time when there isn't a bunch of scaffolding there?

I had an idea the other day, about possibly rebuilding the Peace Tower to something that would look almost identical to the one we have today, except much taller. That way we wouldn't have to worry about downtown heights anymore.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
**sigh**. They're ALWAYS doing renos at Parliament hill. Will there EVER be a time when there isn't a bunch of scaffolding there?

I had an idea the other day, about possibly rebuilding the Peace Tower to something that would look almost identical to the one we have today, except much taller. That way we wouldn't have to worry about downtown heights anymore.
Part of the beauty of the Parliament buildings are their proportions.

I can't imagine doing this to other famous buildings such as the Eifel Tower or Big Ben in London.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post

I agree with your sentiments with all the scaffolding.

I like the tower we have now. But isn't the height limit not the height of the Peace Tower, but whether one can see building popping up behind the main building section?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
I agree with your sentiments with all the scaffolding.

I like the tower we have now. But isn't the height limit not the height of the Peace Tower, but whether one can see building popping up behind the main building section?
Yes, the height limits are to ensure that ALL of Parliament Hill dominates the skyline. The images below, originally from an NCC website, used in a piece on Vancouver height limits gives us a better idea of what those limits are protecting; no new building can pierce the skyline as to compete with even the shortest of the buildings on Parliament Hill. It's not about the Peace Tower, but the main, occupiable body of each building.

Theoretically, if any buildings rising over the view plane gets demolished, as seen on image below, a new building will not be allowed to match the height of its predecessor.

Last two images from this website and were taken from report at the bottom; http://cityhallwatch.wordpress.com/s...ohus-dec-2010/

Or, you can check out page 101-103, showing the current skyline view and the NCC's "vision" where all existing buildings are lobed off as to not overshadow any of the Parliament Buildings.

http://www.ncc-ccn.gc.ca/sites/defau...ction-2007.pdf

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 1:03 AM

Macleans doesn't like 1812 memorial on hill

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/w...rliament-hill/

Personally, I think the questionable memorials on the hill ship has sailed (half the monuments on the hill should be somewhere else).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 3:01 AM

Parliament in scaffolds

Here's Parliament taken June 19th, lots of work being done.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 3:02 AM

The Tories picked that spot for the War of 1812 monument for one reason, and one reason only: to make sure it will never be occupied by a statue of PET.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 6:28 PM

Parliament Hill should be reserved for great political leaders, Fathers of Confederation, people who did something for Canadian democracy. Anything war related, international aid crap or world stage political should be erected else ware or not at all (victims of communism monument anyone).

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 12:43 AM

The war of 1812 Monument was "inaugurated" today:

[Source]

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 1:56 AM

I'm so outraged I could just about stab my neighbour!

Actually...
Don't care. Meh. Statue on corner of lawn no one goes to.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 3:57 AM

Is the West Block interior court conversion still part of the current renos? I just stumbled on these renders and didn't see them in the thread already. According to some of the links below, the interior court was/is to be a temporary House of Commons. Though, I thought that was moving to the Government Conference Centre...or was that the Senate?

[Source]

[Source]
*Also notice the bottom right corner of the render that includes a redesigned "plaza" and a (new?/old?) statue. This portion seems to coincide with gmarshall's aerial from back in July.

Other Sources:
- Samara Canada (2013)
- Wander Woman [blog post: Dewar questions the transparency of West Block Reno] (2011)
- Public Works and Government Services Canada

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 2:38 AM

House of Commons -> Middle of the West Block
Senate -> Government Conference Centre

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 2:42 AM

I like how the now-demolished "Temporary" north of Justice Building has come back from the dead.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 3:50 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

$66M earthquake-proof upgrades urged for Parliament Hill's East Block
Building is 'unlikely to meet 60 per cent of the seismic design requirement,' report says

By Dean Beeby, CBC News Posted: Nov 16, 2014 9:00 PM ET Last Updated: Nov 16, 2014 9:00 PM ET

Parliament Hill's oldest building, an architectural gem known as the East Block, is vulnerable to the frequent earthquakes of the Ottawa area and needs at least $66 million in upgrades to make it more tremor-resistant.

Even with that minimum hardening of the walls and towers, the East Block will still be only 60 per cent as resistant to quakes as Canada's national building code requires for all modern buildings.

Those are the findings of a series of reports commissioned by Public Works in the wake of three major earthquakes that rattled the capital in 2010 and 2012 and set the Peace Tower and a main tower on the East Block swaying back and forth. CBC News obtained copies of the internal reports under the Access to Information Act.

"The advanced deterioration of the exterior masonry walls has been a concern for many years," says one report.

"The East Block building is unlikely to meet 60 per cent of the seismic design requirement of the (National Building Code of Canada) and will need to be upgraded."

"The review of the building envelop investigation and screening reports has revealed significant and serious deterioration of the exterior masonry walls. Low strength lime mortar or totally degraded lime mortar was observed in numerous locations …"

Public Works is in the midst of a multibillion-dollar refurbishment of the three main structures on Parliament Hill, with the West Block well under way and the East Block next in line before workers begin a massive renovation of the Centre Block, home to the House of Commons and Senate.

Seismographs placed in the towers of these three buildings recorded the impact of relatively large earthquakes in recent years; that is, the magnitude 5.0 "Val-des-Bois" earthquake of June 23, 2010, the 4.5 magnitude "Saint-Hyacinthe" quake on Oct.10, 2012; and the 4.2 magnitude "Buckingham" quake of Nov. 6 that same year.

Towers swayed during recent earthquakes

The Peace Tower showed "strong motion" for all the events, while the southwest tower of the East Block swayed in an east-west direction during two of the quakes.

Other reports for Public Works between 2011 and 2013 investigated the crumbling masonry of the East Block walls, some of which date back to 1859 when construction began.

Public Works’ policy on heritage buildings such as the East Block is to bring them up to between 60 per cent and 100 per cent of the national building code’s standards for seismic resistance, while preserving their character. Experts have recommended the 60 per cent mark for the Gothic Revival structure, which appears to be the most vulnerable of the Parliament Hill buildings to earthquakes because of its much greater age.

Steel cable held tower together

Public Works has already undertaken a $14.1-million pilot project on one of the East Block's towers, at the northwest, which included seismic upgrading to develop possible solutions for the rest of the building. The two-year upgrade was finished in the fall of 2013. Until then, the tower had been held together with steel-cable strapping to prevent collapse.

A 2012 estimate provided by the consultant firm Hanscomb Ltd. says upgrading the rest of the East Block to at least 60 per cent of the national building code requirements for quake-resistance will cost $65.8 million.

Hanscomb also estimated the cost for making the East Block resistant to a blast, such as produced by a bomb, but all references are blacked out in the document under security exemptions in the Access to Information Act.

Public Works, meanwhile, hired the Montreal firm Arcop Architecture Inc. in July to make its own determination of the seismic upgrades needed, as well as other improvements.

"The prime consultant is reviewing the preliminary findings contained in the (Hanscomb) report, and must then conduct further analysis and on-site investigations to finalize the seismic rehabilitation of the building," said Public Works spokeswoman Annie Joannette.

The exterior of the oldest part of the East Block is scheduled for $167 million in upgrades between 2016 and 2022, but interior seismic hardening is still in the planning stages, as are upgrades to a 1910 addition to the building.

Seismic standards in Canada's building code are intended to allow the safe evacuation of people inside older buildings in the event of a major earthquake.

Buildings safe: Public Works

Joannette said that "all reports to date have determined that the buildings are safe to be occupied. The East Block is safe and was not damaged during recent earthquakes."

Barry Padolsky, an architect who recently worked on upgrading Ottawa's historic Museum of Nature to modern seismic standards, said similar challenges await the team that will upgrade the East Block.
"They will face a similar challenge, as do all heritage buildings, and the challenge not just technically how to do it but to make sure that you don't harm the building while you are installing it," he said in an interview.

"There is no question that these things have to be done because the Museum of Nature, Parliament Hill and other historic buildings in the capital are part of our heritage and we would never be forgiven if we didn't protect them."

The Centre Block's seismic upgrades, including to the Peace Tower, are scheduled as part of the major rehabilitation set to begin in 2018, after the Commons and Senate chambers have been temporarily moved to new locations.

Canada has two major earthquake zones, southwestern British Columbia and the Ottawa and St. Lawrence River valleys, including Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City.

An October 2013 study commissioned by the Insurance Bureau of Canada estimated there is at least a five-to-15 per cent chance that an earthquake capable of significant damage will strike the southern Quebec and southeastern Ontario area in the next 50 years.

The study said unreinforced masonry buildings, such as that of the East Block and many historic buildings in Quebec City, are particularly at risk. A large quake could cost $60 billion in damage, mostly to shattered buildings.

Follow @DeanBeeby on Twitter
With files from Julie Van Dusen

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/66m-...lock-1.2834334

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa