HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 10:57 PM

DOWNTOWN | Talbot @ Fullarton / 108 M / 29 & 38 Floors (APPROVED)

Quote:
Plans are afoot for a 33-storey tower in downtown London city planner John Fleming hails as a show of confidence in the core.

The highrise will change the city skyline, now dominated by the 107-metre, 24-storey One London Place and the 95-metre, 28-storey Renaissance apartment towers. The new tower would reach 108 metres.

33 storeys, 108 metres

northwest corner of Talbot and Fullarton streets

ground floor would have nearly 800 square metres of commercial/retail space

nearly 800 square metres of office space on the seventh floor

parking on floors two to six

248 residential apartments on floors eight to 33.

application submitted to city hall at the end of October. Expected to be considered by planning committee and council early in 2014.

Would be 1m taller than One London Place

Last edited by go_leafs_go02; Sep 16, 2016 at 1:06 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 11:19 PM
User Registered

According to this site, One London Place is 113.4m so if this is correct it would still remain the tallest in the city.

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=61

Still, it's an intriguing proposal.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 11:42 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Awesome news!

That lot would be perfect for redevelopment, it's one of the biggest and ugliest parking lots downtown. Need to see some better renderings before I can pass judgement on the design though.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 3:39 AM
Sanity merchant

Great news! I see more promise in this than anything Farlie says about his crap

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 5:09 AM

Well, I think we all want a tower on this site and hopefully it is a better design. Let's not get our hopes up though. Do a google search for this company and you will find nothing whatsoever. No project history, not even a website.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 6:20 PM

Hopefully it goes through! Would be perfect, exactly what London needs. However Seems like every big and promising project in London these days has been criticized, condemned and stalled by some NIMBYs or busybodies that don't like change...

On a side note I wonder what, if any plans will come for King and Clarence where London Mews was. Lots been vacant for nearly 15 years, think a developer would do something with that huge amount of space to develop downtown.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 9:38 PM

I'm not sure it's always nimbys. It's more that the developers are a bit dodgy and don't really have any money or real plans. Hope these guys are different.

Last edited by GreatTallNorth2; Nov 25, 2013 at 12:17 AM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 10:15 PM
Sanity merchant

http://www.pattoncormier.ca/

the only thing I could find about the vulture

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 5:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

wow this will completely change the skyline. freshen it up, and give 1LP a run for its money. I won't be holding my breath, however....

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 4:54 AM

I hope it goes ahead and do we dare dream that it will NOT be made of solid concrete?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 3:30 PM

Interesting, that location would be perfect for a tower so that is welcome news.

Now lets see if it actually goes through...or just another proposed building we never hear about again.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 4:01 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Good on London!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 4:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

yeah, please no more monstrosities like this one:

London Buildig Fugliness Scale:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
1=commie block (extremely ugly and absolutely soul sucking) see corner of Oxfart & Wonderbread (or Irkutsk) for examples.
2=London Court House (very, very ugly)
3=Harriston (rather ugly)
4=...
5=...
6=Renaissance towers (meh)
7=...
8=...
9=...
10=Chrysler building (fabulous)

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 8:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

https://www.london.ca/city-hall/publ...-21,-2013.aspx

Quote:
475 Talbot Street and 100 Fullarton Street – The purpose and effect of the requested zoning change is to allow for the development of a 33-storey (108m tall) mixed use apartment building with approximately 781m2 of commercial/retail space on the ground floor, 769m2 of office space on the 7th floor, structured parking from floors 2-6 and a total of 248 residential apartment units on floors 8 to 33. Possible change to Zoning By-law Z.-1 FROM a Downtown Area (DA2) Zone which permits a wide range of office, commercial, retail, residential and institutional uses and Holding Downtown Area (h-3•DA2•D350) Zone which permits a wide range of office, commercial, retail and institutional uses and a range of residential uses up to a maximum density of 350 units per hectare with a requirement for the completion of a wind impact assessment to ensure development over 15m will not have an adverse impact on pedestrian level wind conditions in the Downtown prior to the removal of the holding provision TO a Downtown Area Bonus (DA1•D1090•H110•B-*) Zone which would permit a wide range of office, commercial, retail and institutional uses and a range of residential uses including apartment buildings with a bonus zone which would allow for a density of 1,090 units per hectare and a maximum height of 110m and require the inclusion of features such as underground parking, public realm improvements, enhanced accessibility features, recreational facilities, high design standards, architectural continuity and consistency with the Downtown Design Guidelines. Holding provisions may be identified to be required prior to Staff’s final recommendation to Council. File: Z-8285. Planner: M. Davis (Dundas)

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 8:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

here is the notice of application: http://www.london.ca/business/Planni...8285notice.pdf

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 2:41 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

Well I think that the renderings in the application look fairly promising. It appears to deal with the 6 levels of parking better than the Harriston or the Renaissance Towers. Also looks like it meets the street in a much more welcoming fashion than either of the two.

That being said I know we shouldn't get too excited. In the last couple of years I can think of at least two major downtown condo highrise proposals (Farhi's one on Queen St., and the one next to Victoria Park) that we haven't heard anything from. Not to mention the extensive "cheapening" that'll likely happen even if the proposal goes through.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 4:44 AM

Ok, I'm going out on a limb and saying this has a much better chance of being built than the other proposals we've seen. That medical proposal is so "pie in the sky" where the company doesn't even own the land. Farhi has put other proposals (old library, Queens) and his rendering looked like it was done on sim city 2000. This proposal looks like it has real renderings and the person that submitted the proposal is a respected lawyer in the development community. So I'm hoping this is real because the rendering on the city of London application look pretty good.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 1:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Just to get you excited...and for old times' sake:
Video Link

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 1:44 AM
Sanity merchant

From the guy who wrote the article.

Hi *****:
The deputy chief building official for London, Peter Kokkoros, has dug up the blueprints for One London and says the height of the "high roof" is 110 metres with another two metres to the top of a "screen" on top.
I am inclined to want to go with 110 metres from now on, based on his information, I think I will go with 110m as the building height from now on.
Thanks for contacting me on this. I am trying to remember where I got the other height, but when I wrote about this issue a number of months ago I did do some research into it.
Best,
Chip

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 2:31 AM
User Registered

Interesting... Should we get SSP staff to change OLP's height? Maybe 110 to roof and 112 spire, 113.4m antenna?

My Simcity Stuff

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates