HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 3:54 PM

Need advice: upcoming trip to Texas

My girlfriend is in the Army Reserves, and she gets four days of leave before her deployment to Afghanistan in April. Rather than fly back to Michigan and spend one or two days with her family, she's decided to fly me down there. She's "ready to see some shit" before she leaves, but with limited time I'm not sure where to go. As such, I have a few questions:

1.) How old do you have to be to rent a car in Texas? She'll be on a base near El Paso, if that makes any difference. I'm only 22, so if I can't rent a car I guess I'll have to drive down or we'll have to stay in El Paso.

2.) My current plan is to leave El Paso early in the morning on the first day and head to San Antonio. After spending one night in San Antonio, I want to see some more of Texas's urban centers. With the time we have it seems like I'll be able to hit Austin or Houston, but probably not both. Which would you recommend? Also, if we went to Austin the second day, would it be feasible to head to Dallas, or would we be better off just kicking it in Austin or San Antonio until we have to drive back?

3.) The other possibility is driving to Albuquerque on the first day and heading to Phoenix after that. San Antonio/Austin/Houston seem more appealing to me, but with our time constraints would New Mexico and Arizona be a better choice?

4.) You guys might have no idea what I'm talking about, but do you know if you can get into (or more importantly, back from) Mexico on an Enhanced Drivers License? I live in Detroit and with an EDL (a special drivers license containing an RFID chip) I can go to and from Canada without a passport.

I'd really appreciate any advice, tips, or suggestions that you might have for me.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 8:24 PM

tough choices!

If you're based out of El Paso, look into Big Bend and Marfa too, although not urban. You're looking at a lot of driving, better check driving distances on google. A lot of people don't realize how big Texas is......

If your going to San Antonio, then the landscape there sort of looks like Austin, but the cities are definitely different. Its easier to get to Houston from Austin, than it is to Dallas.

IMO, if your not from Texas, all the big urban cities sort of look and feel the same, but if you are from Texas, then you notice a very distinct difference. Soooo.... it depends on what you want to see. Houston is nice because you can go down to Galveston and see the coast as a side trip and as an added bonus, you could be one of the few people who could say have driven from one side of Texas to the other. It will also likely be warmer than Dallas.

I think car rental age is 24 these days, but not sure, you better call around.

Good luck! hope you have a great time.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
tough choices!

If you're based out of El Paso, look into Big Bend and Marfa too, although not urban. You're looking at a lot of driving, better check driving distances on google. A lot of people don't realize how big Texas is......

If your going to San Antonio, then the landscape there sort of looks like Austin, but the cities are definitely different. Its easier to get to Houston from Austin, than it is to Dallas.

IMO, if your not from Texas, all the big urban cities sort of look and feel the same, but if you are from Texas, then you notice a very distinct difference. Soooo.... it depends on what you want to see. Houston is nice because you can go down to Galveston and see the coast as a side trip and as an added bonus, you could be one of the few people who could say have driven from one side of Texas to the other. It will also likely be warmer than Dallas.

I think car rental age is 24 these days, but not sure, you better call around.

Good luck! hope you have a great time.
It's a little under 9 hours driving from El Paso to San Antonio according to Google Maps. It's a quick 1.5 hour trip from SA to Austin, and then another 3 hours to Houston or 3.5 hours to Dallas.

Based on that information, it seems like two days each in SA and Austin is the best plan. Maybe I can fly into Houston or Dallas a day or two early and drive to El Paso, and that would let me see a bit more.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 1:43 AM

Lightbulb

With just four days together, I think you'll be better off spending your time in West Texas. You may not think so, but driving all day one day to Central Texas, whether it's North or South, and another driving back only leaves you two days for sightseeing.

Within the El Paso area, there's several vacation locations locations in southern New Mexico and western Texas I would like to recommend.

To the north east, there's White Sands National Monument 15 miles southwest of Alamogordo NM on US 70, and Carlsbad Caverns National Park 18 miles southwest of Carlsbad, NM on US 180
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_S...ional_Monument
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlsbad_Caverns
On the way, don't forget to stop at Guadalupe Mountains National Park on US 180.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guadalu..._National_Park

To the southeast in Texas, there's the McDonald Observatory near Ft. Davis, TX in the Davis Mountains on SH 118. Take I 10 east, exit #176.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald_observatory

To the west, again in New Mexico, there's the El Chico copper mine near Santa Rita, NM 15 miles east of Silver City, NM. This one might be hard to find. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Chino_Mine
Find out why UTEP names their athletic teams "Miners".

And there's always Ciudad Juarez across the border.

Have a great trip.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
With just four days together, I think you'll be better off spending your time in West Texas. You may not think so, but driving all day one day to Central Texas, whether it's North or South, and another driving back only leaves you two days for sightseeing.

Within the El Paso area, there's several vacation locations locations in southern New Mexico and western Texas I would like to recommend.

To the north east, there's White Sands National Monument 15 miles southwest of Alamogordo NM on US 70, and Carlsbad Caverns National Park 18 miles southwest of Carlsbad, NM on US 180
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_S...ional_Monument
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlsbad_Caverns
On the way, don't forget to stop at Guadalupe Mountains National Park on US 180.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guadalu..._National_Park

To the southeast in Texas, there's the McDonald Observatory near Ft. Davis, TX in the Davis Mountains on SH 118. Take I 10 east, exit #176.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald_observatory

To the west, again in New Mexico, there's the El Chico copper mine near Santa Rita, NM 15 miles east of Silver City, NM. This one might be hard to find. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Chino_Mine
Find out why UTEP names their athletic teams "Miners".

And there's always Ciudad Juarez across the border.

Have a great trip.
I think you forgot to add this after Ciudad Juarez:

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 3:57 PM

Man you'll be spending all your limited time together driving... really it will kill 2days trying to get to SA/Austin, etc. Not sure how safe it is to go across the boarder in Juarez.

For your age, Austin would be the most fun place for sure.

The nicest, most romantic place and a much shorter drive would be Santa Fe, NM. Really cool place... great food, terrain... and bars but its a bit expensive. Santa Fe is about the same drive to places like Marfa... its about 90 minutes north of Albuquerque.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Man you'll be spending all your limited time together driving... really it will kill 2days trying to get to SA/Austin, etc. Not sure how safe it is to go across the boarder in Juarez.

For your age, Austin would be the most fun place for sure.

The nicest, most romantic place and a much shorter drive would be Santa Fe, NM. Really cool place... great food, terrain... and bars but its a bit expensive. Santa Fe is about the same drive to places like Marfa... its about 90 minutes north of Albuquerque.
I think the current plan is we leave early in the morning to drive to San Antonio on the first day and then just kick it for the evening. I've always wanted to see the Riverwalk, and a Friday night sounds like as good a time to experience it as any. Stay the night in a hotel and see the tourist stuff, my girlfriend wants to go to the Alamo. Stay another night and leave early-ish for Austin. It's only about an hour and a half to Austin, so we should get there early enough to explore most of the day. We'd stay in Austin and drive back the next morning and take our time to stop and see stuff on the way.

Do you think we'll be able to fit in a few key tourist attractions in San Antonio and see some cool spots in Austin in the days we're there?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 1:52 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishrose View Post
I think the current plan is we leave early in the morning to drive to San Antonio on the first day and then just kick it for the evening. I've always wanted to see the Riverwalk, and a Friday night sounds like as good a time to experience it as any. Stay the night in a hotel and see the tourist stuff, my girlfriend wants to go to the Alamo. Stay another night and leave early-ish for Austin. It's only about an hour and a half to Austin, so we should get there early enough to explore most of the day. We'd stay in Austin and drive back the next morning and take our time to stop and see stuff on the way.

Do you think we'll be able to fit in a few key tourist attractions in San Antonio and see some cool spots in Austin in the days we're there?
Yes, if you're committed to this tour.
On the way east to San Antonio, or back west from Austin, I suggest a rest stop in Fredericksburg. The Nimitz Museum is located there, and worth a stop.
http://www.pacificwarmuseum.org/index.asp
And the LBJ Ranch is also located just off US 290 between Austin and Fredericksburg.
http://www.nps.gov/lyjo/index.htm

If you're going to spend Friday night on the River Walk in San Antonio, you could squeeze in the Alamo on Friday night as well. You could spend most of Saturday at SeaWorld or Fiesta Texas.
http://www.seaworld.com/sanantonio/
http://www.sixflags.com/fiestaTexas/index.aspx

Travel up to Austin on Saturday night. Downtown Austin is where most party. The State Capital is located just north of downtown, and the visitor's center will will be open on Sunday from noon to 5 pm, although maybe not the Capital itself. And UT is located just north of the Capital.
http://www.tspb.state.tx.us/spb/plan/Hours.htm
You can drive back to El Paso on Monday.

I'm assuming you're planning on taking I-10 most of the way in both directions, but I would like to suggest taking US-90 in one direction. You'll see different scenery, and could make a stop at Langtry to visit Judge Roy Bean's saloon and courthouse. Although it is a little out of the way.
http://www.texasbob.com/travel/tbt_jrbean.html

Some will say Langtry was a tourist trap, I felt the same about the Alamo.
Enjoy your trip!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishrose View Post

If your already at the Riverwalk, then seeing the Alamo is cake - just don't expect much and you'll be ok. Make sure not to drive around SA and Austin during rush hour or it will take you twice as long. There is an AMTrak that runs between SA and Austin, but its operating hours are not very good - you might check into that, because it drops you off downtown Austin. But it would be nice to have a car in Austin, so you can get out to the hills and see some of the sights out there too. Austins has more hills than SA.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 11:22 PM
Closed account

If you go to Austin, make sure you don't miss the drive along highway 2222 to Lake Travis. It's spectacular hill country scenery, much of which is in the city limits. And stop off at the Oasis restaurant that is 450 feet above Lake Travis. Expat had a thread recently that showed the views from the Oasis.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 5:38 PM

1. DO NOT go to Juarez... too dangerous. Please stay in the US on this trip no matter what!!

2. As a Houston resident, I can definitely say that Houston's a great town. But it's not quite as visitor-friendly as Austin or San Antonio. For a first-time visitor, Houston is just a big mess of stuff. Austin and San Antonio have a some real touristy destinations, and lots of stuff to do that's all in one place. Dallas and Houston are just spread out, so they're not as suited to short term visitors (hopefully that will change in the future though). Plus you're 22... the perfect stereotypical age for Austin and SA. Great nightlife in both.

If you do settle on Austin, go up to Mount Bonnell. Spectacular view of the city!!

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 6:34 PM
3rd Coast King

i would kick it out in west texas. that drive is estimated at 9 hours which means that it would take longer. so you talking a whole days drive. marfa is tight. you can see some donald judd art in its natural environment. big bend is nice too. there is always mexico.

if you really wanted to go central texas i would say fly there and have her meet you there instead of you both driving from elpaso.

My Book

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
i would kick it out in west texas. that drive is estimated at 9 hours which means that it would take longer. so you talking a whole days drive. marfa is tight. you can see some donald judd art in its natural environment. big bend is nice too. there is always mexico.

if you really wanted to go central texas i would say fly there and have her meet you there instead of you both driving from elpaso.
Having her meet me there would be counter to the entire point of the vacation. After this trip, she'll be in Afghanistan for over a year. Whatever we do, the entire four days will be spent together.

Hanging out in West Texas is still on the table, but we both prefer to spend our time in urban areas. Am I honestly the only person on here who doesn't think 9 hours is a terribly long drive? I'm from Michigan; it takes me 9 hours to get to my grandparents' house in the UP and honestly it isn't that taxing if you have company.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 8:42 PM

I love West Texas but it might not be the ideal trip before going to Afghanistan. Hang out in Austin and S.A. and then go to Houston or DFW for a few days. They are spread out, but each has some great spots to relax. For example, the wife and I spent last weekend in Dallas's Bishop Arts district and we had a great time and GOOD food! Personally, I like Galveston in the winter because you can walk forever on the beach with no people and find interesting things. Or just relax in the Hill Country.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 9:17 AM
De Lurk Squad

The speed limit is 80 west of Junction so you should make good time pushing 90. But beware cars can roll many times if your preoccupied. So don't worry there are plenty of rest stops with sturdily built tables to make memories on. Enjoy your trip and bring some condoms. I've heard morning sickness in Afghanistan is a bitch!!!!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelplate View Post
The speed limit is 80 west of Junction so you should make good time pushing 90. But beware cars can roll many times if your preoccupied. So don't worry there are plenty of rest stops with sturdily built tables to make memories on. Enjoy your trip and bring some condoms. I've heard morning sickness in Afghanistan is a bitch!!!!
Best response yet

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 6:44 PM
~Hook'em~

If you go to Austin from SA make sure to take 281 to 290 through the beautiful Hill Country. You and your girl will enjoy it much more than I-35. It is a short drive from SA to Austin and whatever you do just avoid I-35 at ALL COST! It is the worst road in the country, IMO. Only thing that comes close is the 405 in LA.

That is if you decide to come to central Texas. I've got to be honest that if you two only have 4 days you might enjoy staying in West Texas rather than 2 of the 4 days just in your car. Texas is really damn big, and you will have to cross half of it to get to SA and Austin, and same thing back. That is a lot of driving. Put it this way, when I lived in San Diego and would drive back to Texas, San Diego to El Paso was quicker than El Paso to Austin. As the bird flies El Paso is closer to the Pacific Ocean than it is the Gulf of Mexico.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 10:29 PM
giggity giggity goo

Since New Mexico is so close to El Paso I would just say drive up to Albuquerque since it's an interesting city in it's own right (not to mention that it's only four hours away from El Paso compared with the nine hour drive to San Antonio) plus you have Santa Fe just up the I-25.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 4:31 AM

So, what happened? As a Michigander myself, I'm fascinated by west Texas. My g/f and I made it out to Del Rio/Acuna last summer and as far west as Langtry, a teeny map dot near the Pecos River. We initially wanted to make it to Marfa, but that just goes to show how ginormous Texas is. We wanted to take our time, so we visited all the little things to do in the Val Verde County Region. On the way home, we went to the Caverns of Sonora and of course, back through San Antonio.

I just can't imagine you having enough time to enjoy the cities if you start off in El Paso. If you DID make it to San Antonio, hopefully, you took the quick jog up to Austin and followed the others' comments, especially the Route 2222 up to Lake Travis & the Oasis...my g/f and my favorite place in Texas. We've made it tradition to go to Oasis on every trip to Austin! It's Hill Country at its finest! If you ever make it to Houston, I can give you another Michigander's perspective on things I think you would appreciate!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral