HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Corporativo Torre Zapopan in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Zapopan (Jalisco) Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 11:07 PM

GUADALAJARA | Zapopan Tower | 328 FT / 100 M | 21 FLOORS

ZAPOPAN TOWER

Project : GRUPO ANIMA
Floors : 21 floors
Height : ~100.0 mts.
Purpose : OFFICES
Investment : GRUPO ANIMA
Construction : 2007
Developer : FRAVA
End : ~2009

UPDATES

from SSC forumer 'Ramxes'

some others mine from 24th nov 07...

some others from 'Ramxes'...

from Petush from SSC

by Arnoldous...

from PiscoSour from SSC... DEC 30. 2007.

By PiscoSour...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 12:09 AM
them bones

While I find the form of the tower pretty interesting, I'm disappointed to see that the curtain wall reads more as deconstructivist cake decoration than an actual structural statement (read: Beijing CCTV HQ by Rem).

Still...nice tower. How tall is the other topped out condo tower nearby? 150m?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 2:16 AM

This looks like an outlying area. How close is this to the central business district?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 2:52 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Cool tower and awesome city!!

Love this:

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
This looks like an outlying area. How close is this to the central business district?
This is all far from downtown, in a wealthy suburb on the western fringes of Guadalajara.

Basically all of Guadalajara's wealth and highrises are west of downtown, with 60's and 70's-era highrises in the neighborhoods just west of downtown (sorta urban inner suburbs in an area called Minerva) and this very new impressive cluster of highrises on the furthest western urban fringe. In fact, there is no development further to the west, because there is an almost Grand Canyon-like trench separating the sprawl from the countryside.

I was shocked when I first saw this area. You drive down a highway past Burger Kings and 7-11s and suddenly these sliver towers rise out of nowhere like a mirage. In addition to the highrises, they are building a very high-end shopping center and some cool modernist lowrise apartments. I have heard the claim that Guadalajara's per capita income is second highest in Latin America (I think Monterrey is first), so, if true, we are talking a city with a higher per capita income than Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Santiago, or Mexico City.

The problem with this area is that there's no context. It's just highrises in the middle of nowhere, kinda like a mini-Dubai. There's some upscale country clubs, a park, a zoo, and some wealthy suburban neighborhoods and highways that look like Southern California, but there's no urban context.

If you know Mexico City, this neighborhood is the equivalent of Santa Fe, a bigger version on the western edge of the capital. Like Santa Fe, the advantage of this edge city is that it has the cleanest air in the city. Neighborhoods in the East and South of Guadalajara have bad winter smog, and Mexico City is much worse.

When I visit Guadalajara for work, I stay next to the Plaza del Sol, which is an older shopping center and "Edge City" closer to downtown. It's semi-walkable and has some urban context.

Downtown Guadalajara is quite historic and beautiful (and is IMO much more interesting), but it has little wealth and no highrises.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 2:45 PM

^^^ Thanks. I only know Monterrey, which is pretty compact and centralized.

I'll probably be going to Guad this year on business, I'll have to check this out.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 3:33 PM
Urban Explorer

This building looks fantastic. It's news to me - and very interesting - that Guadalajara is building high-rises. Hopefully they start to fill more in at street level and create some urbanity in these high-wealth areas.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
^^^ Thanks. I only know Monterrey, which is pretty compact and centralized.

I'll probably be going to Guad this year on business, I'll have to check this out.
Guadalajara feels a lot different from Monterrey. Personally I like it a lot more.

Monterrey is very Americanized and Guadalajara has more of a European feel. It's city center is much more historic and scenic.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
While I find the form of the tower pretty interesting, I'm disappointed to see that the curtain wall reads more as deconstructivist cake decoration than an actual structural statement (read: Beijing CCTV HQ by Rem).

Still...nice tower. How tall is the other topped out condo tower nearby? 150m?
i think there is no comparison with the CCTV, but to me, its still a great designed tower... we will see how its finished...
the height of the taller building you say, is not official yet, while in the web page the developer says one thing, people involved on the project has said another... it goes from 173m to 182m...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
This is all far from downtown, in a wealthy suburb on the western fringes of Guadalajara.

Basically all of Guadalajara's wealth and highrises are west of downtown, with 60's and 70's-era highrises in the neighborhoods just west of downtown (sorta urban inner suburbs in an area called Minerva) and this very new impressive cluster of highrises on the furthest western urban fringe. In fact, there is no development further to the west, because there is an almost Grand Canyon-like trench separating the sprawl from the countryside.

I was shocked when I first saw this area. You drive down a highway past Burger Kings and 7-11s and suddenly these sliver towers rise out of nowhere like a mirage. In addition to the highrises, they are building a very high-end shopping center and some cool modernist lowrise apartments. I have heard the claim that Guadalajara's per capita income is second highest in Latin America (I think Monterrey is first), so, if true, we are talking a city with a higher per capita income than Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Santiago, or Mexico City.

The problem with this area is that there's no context. It's just highrises in the middle of nowhere, kinda like a mini-Dubai. There's some upscale country clubs, a park, a zoo, and some wealthy suburban neighborhoods and highways that look like Southern California, but there's no urban context.

If you know Mexico City, this neighborhood is the equivalent of Santa Fe, a bigger version on the western edge of the capital. Like Santa Fe, the advantage of this edge city is that it has the cleanest air in the city. Neighborhoods in the East and South of Guadalajara have bad winter smog, and Mexico City is much worse.

When I visit Guadalajara for work, I stay next to the Plaza del Sol, which is an older shopping center and "Edge City" closer to downtown. It's semi-walkable and has some urban context.

Downtown Guadalajara is quite historic and beautiful (and is IMO much more interesting), but it has little wealth and no highrises.
good description... i'd like to add, that there is development near this area, the thing is that you have some wealthy areas with big houses and i think there is too much space between them, and like you say too much available space too... it is in one part the edge of the city, but at the same time there are many neighborhoods, in fact, to the right side of the pictures, you have the begining of the city with more wealthy neighborhoods, and not far from there you have Zapopan downtown, wich is an old town... you have a big park, Colomos Park... so its not that lonely place...
Guadalajara has some buildings but not very tall, these are the tallest, but the older ones are all sprawl in the city... so this is the newest cluster... along with the Country Club area, with smaller residentials, but a nice area, probably getting a residential twin towers project around 45 floors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
This building looks fantastic. It's news to me - and very interesting - that Guadalajara is building high-rises. Hopefully they start to fill more in at street level and create some urbanity in these high-wealth areas.

Guadalajara is living a boom since 4 years ago, as well as some other cities in Mexico, mostly Mexico City...
there are many projects coming, planning, etc...
ill be posting some of them, and some of them as you see, are finished, and you can find them in the mexican forum, unfortnally for some of you its oonly in spanish, thats why i want to bring here some of the best projects...
and as i was saying, this area is in some way new, with all these buildings and projects..

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 7:53 PM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by chex View Post
i think there is no comparison with the CCTV, but to me, its still a great designed tower... we will see how its finished...
Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to compare it to CCTV...NOT AT ALL. My point was simply that the curtain wall design for this building isn't very indicative of the structure beneath.

But I do think it's interesting looking (especially given the variation in forms).

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 8:51 PM

oh, ok! i get your point! you are right!
and yes, i think the same it has very interesting forms...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 3:23 PM

UPDATES

by ultranet11 from SSC...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 6:22 AM

WOW! I hope no one takes this the wrong way but the amazing high rises that I am seeing are not what I thought I would see when I hear Guadalajara! I will never be close minded again, way to go!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 6:23 AM
Look at me!

What a beautiful skyline! Guadalajara looks very prosperous!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 3:21 PM

i know many people can think like that, and thats what im trying to beat with posting photos here... apart from the main point of showing the new skyscrapers overhere...
there are a lot of wealthy people in guadalajara, and as you can see in the pics, this is one of those parts of the city...
as a fact, in the last pic, on the tower at the left corner, in the comercial area, there a Ferrari-Maserati dealer...

glad you like the growing skyline...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 3:57 PM
Registered Abuser

Where are the safety skirts on all the floors? (just kidding)

On my last trip to Puerto Vallarta, I saw a "four" story building under construction. The first floor was finished and open for business, the second floor was almost completed, the third floor was framed and ready for plumbing/wiring, and the fourth floor was rebar and bare concrete - no windows, no fixtures, no roof. I couldn't believe that businesses on the bottom floor were open while the fourth floor was still drying.

ô¿ô

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 4:02 PM
Registered Abuser

Scare-way to heaven...

Quote:
I would definately point the temporary stairs the other way, so that if you trip, you fall toward the center of the building, not toward the open side.

ô¿ô

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandahalf View Post
Where are the safety skirts on all the floors? (just kidding)

On my last trip to Puerto Vallarta, I saw a "four" story building under construction. The first floor was finished and open for business, the second floor was almost completed, the third floor was framed and ready for plumbing/wiring, and the fourth floor was rebar and bare concrete - no windows, no fixtures, no roof. I couldn't believe that businesses on the bottom floor were open while the fourth floor was still drying.

ô¿ô
Yeah, I see this stuff all the time in GDL, and in Mexico in general. Compared to the U.S., construction rules are practically nonexistent.

The really interesting (or scary) stuff can be seen in the working class neighborhoods and the mostly illegal (but unenforced) "do it yourself" homes and building additions.

The upside of the lack of regulation is the architectural diversity and the ability of poorer folks to substantially improve their housing situation.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 7:20 PM

thats right crawford... unfortunally nonexistent rules.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
thats right crawford... unfortunally nonexistent rules.
Yeah, I toured a retail building site near the WalMart on the Periferico Sur (near the Jesuit University) that seemed extremely unsafe.

I think Mexico has an ok code, it's just that (like many things) nothing is ever enforced until there's an accident.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive