HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 5:32 AM

^^^^^
Any idea what the 'The Grande' is/was supposed to be on the northwest corner of the map?

Also - has anyone seen the plans for the Onyx on their website and then look at the tiny piece of land and wonder how the heck it would fit in there?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciweiss View Post
^^^^^
Any idea what the 'The Grande' is/was supposed to be on the northwest corner of the map?

Also - has anyone seen the plans for the Onyx on their website and then look at the tiny piece of land and wonder how the heck it would fit in there?
I've never noticed it on a map, but the last few times I've went to In-n-Out or Jersey Mike's, that lot has struck me as being tiny and I recall the website showed the parking garage only occupying one floor, which sounds impossible for a tower with about 200 units. However, now that you mention it and I have a computer handy, I looked at the website again, it looks like there's a ramp going to one or more basement levels that they chose not to include on the website. But yeah, however they fit it in, it's going to be tight.

I'll take unit 2203 though if I hit the Powerball. That balcony has about the same sq footage as my house.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 5:14 PM

The CVS at the corner of Mill and University opened today. I think it looks ok, and at least built up to the street. Still kinda sucks to see that corner used for something so boring.

I don't remember if this has already been discussed, but a Chipotle is going into the place where Brugers Bagles used to be, across from Gammage.

Also, this was in the paper today about the arts village on the south side of the lake. I'm glad to see the original idea is still in the works.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...ments0813.html

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 11:39 PM

Le Meridien pulled out of Heyden Ferry

Well it looks like Le Meridien did pull out but it looks like another hotel with 100 more rooms then originally planned will replace. Would the building be taller for the additional 100 rooms or?

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoen...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

Tod Decker, president of Valhalla Development Group, which had worked out the deal to put the European-style hotel on the south shore of Tempe Town Lake, confirmed Monday that Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, parent of the Le Meridien brand, pulled out last summer. But plans to put a luxury boutique hotel on the small site -- less than an acre -- were never pulled off the drawing board, he said.

The Le Meridien hotel was designed with 143 rooms and 45 condominiums, but with the local real estate market oversaturated with condos, the plan no longer made sense for the Starwood group.

Decker said he has been working for the last year on a new deal that he expects to be signed within the next 30 days. The configuration on the new plan calls for 240 hotel rooms and 24 condos. He said folks who were hoping for the Le Meridian will not be disappointed.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethAZ View Post

I don't remember if this has already been discussed, but a Chipotle is going into the place where Brugers Bagles used to be, across from Gammage.
I used to rent a house with a friend literally feet from that brugers bagels (just down the alley to the south) when I went to ASU. Why couldn't there be a chipotle there back then????????????????????? I would have been in there all the time, rather than the one time I went to Brugers bagels.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 1:58 AM

Quote:
I used to rent a house with a friend literally feet from that brugers bagels (just down the alley to the south) when I went to ASU. Why couldn't there be a chipotle there back then????????????????????? I would have been in there all the time, rather than the one time I went to Brugers bagels.
I know what you mean. I only went to Brugers a few times when I was at ASU. I'm sure i'll go to Chipotle a lot more. It will do great given the location. If I was still at ASU, I'd go everyday.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
^ Its a lot for sale. There's no project to it.

I have a "LAND FOR SALE" postcard for a 1/2 acre higrise site down the road from my place in Phoenix...why they sent it to me I have no idea. Nothing but a walled away and miserable 3000 sqft office building on the site today.

Asking price: $1.8 million.

It's an ugly bearing for nothing getting developed for a while. Tempe should get used to a vacant lot problem.
Actually Sean, I believe it is the lot for this project:
Residences at the Artspark:
http://www.phxloftnetwork.com/forum/...pic.php?t=1976

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 11:32 PM

Looks like Tempe is getting another tower crane on Apache. A red mast has sprouted from the roof of the Equinox parking garage.

Cell phone picture from a moving vehicle:

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftlovr View Post
Actually Sean, I believe it is the lot for this project:
Residences at the Artspark:
http://www.phxloftnetwork.com/forum/...pic.php?t=1976

Thanks for finding that Loftlovr. That place looks pretty cool. I must say it is interesting that all these developments have retail on the bottom. I do like that a lot but I hope they can be sustained in a down economy. I wonder if they should nix some of the retail for small office spaces. Way to much retail around and way to little money these days. I also hope DT Tempe can get a small fresh & easy type of grocery soon. CVS seems to be doing well. Lots of locals and students going to be keeping that place hoping.

Bonus to have Chipotle moving in I too would eat there everyday but my body can't handle those 1300 calorie burritoes as much as it used to. I will have to keep it down to every other day.

Dang. All we need now is for Dunkin Doughnuts to move in and the temp to drop 30 degrees and I swear I would be in heaven. btw - the DD is not open on University and Priest yet. Went there yesturday and it will open in 2 weeks. Newspapers failed to mention that.

Trailer at the Mosaic is gone. That doesn't look to good. Why don't they just build the grocery store with a hotel on top. Screw the condos for now.

Gateway is coming along nicely. They are going to town on the project. It looks like the garage is halfway done and they are on the 2nd floor already off of Mill.

Apache is a crazy scene these days. Building going on all over the place.

Last edited by ciweiss; Aug 20, 2008 at 10:26 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkoto View Post
Looks like Tempe is getting another tower crane on Apache. A red mast has sprouted from the roof of the Equinox parking garage.

Cell phone picture from a moving vehicle:
Nice driving pic nickkoto!! I got one as well of the weinermobile

Any guess as to where that was taken?

hint

Rhymes with Tempe Mission Palms....

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 7:02 PM
under the influence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciweiss View Post
Trailer at the Mosaic is gone. That doesn't look to good. Why don't they just build the grocery store with a hotel on top. Screw the condos for now.
Mosaic was never going up (I've only been banging that drum for 18 months now). And there hasn't been a light on in their sales office since April.

The trailer was probably stolen by tweakers and sold for scrap metal.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 12:47 AM

Just saw this on the AZCentral website. Sounds like good news. The full article is here: http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...td0821-ON.html

Centerpoint, Mortgages Ltd. reach financing deal

by Andrew Johnson - Aug. 20, 2008 02:39 PM
The Arizona Republic

The developer of the stalled Centerpoint high-rise condominium project in Tempe has reached a tentative agreement with its primary lender, Mortgages Ltd., to obtain additional financing.

Mortgages Ltd. would give an initial $4.6 million to developer Avenue Communities LLC so it can protect the project's two towers, according to a motion the lender filed Tuesday night in U.S. Bankruptcy Court.

The lender also has plans to funnel about $75 million more to Avenue Communities at a later date to complete the towers, said Carolyn Johnsen, an attorney representing Mortgages Ltd. in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy case.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 2:23 AM

How do they propose to get this money in today's tight markets? Print it? Got a special money tree in the back yard?

--don

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 8:43 AM

Heh. I've noticed a couple of broken windows at HFL lately, but I didn't know that it was because some dumbass was using the butte as a driving range.

Quote:
Cost of round of golf off 'A' Mountain is criminal, ASU student finds
by Lisa Halverstadt - Aug. 20, 2008 06:32 PM
The Arizona Republic

A Chandler man was arrested Tuesday after he admitted to hitting golf balls off the north side of "A" Mountain, causing more than $30,000 damage to condominiums nearby.

According to Tempe police reports, 19-year-old Cameron Michael Trett confessed to hitting the golf balls off the mountain on June 2, July 3 and Aug. 5.

Each golfing session caused more than $10,000 damage at the Bridgeview at Hayden Ferry Lakeside condominiums, 140 Rio Salado Parkway, police said.
Broken windows comprised the majority of the damage, Tempe police Sgt. Steve Carbajal said.

Trett, a computer information systems major at Arizona State University, told police he hit the golf balls because he was "bored."

He was arrested on suspicion of three counts of criminal damage.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
How do they propose to get this money in today's tight markets? Print it? Got a special money tree in the back yard?

--don
People still have money. It didn't necessarily ALL evaporate. Some of them are even looking for good places to invest it, given the rate of inflation and poor interest rates, not to mention the stock market, which isn't for everyone. Apparently, Mortgages Ltd. has found some people who are interested.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 7:31 PM

Sounds like an announcement will be upcoming on what hotel will be replacing Le Meridien for a December ground-breaking.

High-end hotel set to replace Le Meridien

by William Hermann - Aug. 25, 2008 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

The silver towers of the SunCor Hayden Ferry Lakeside mixed-use development on Tempe Town Lake just east of Mill Avenue soon will include a high-end high-rise hotel, said Randy Levin, SunCor Development Co. vice president.

But it won't be the luxury Le Meridien hotel that Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide Inc. had been promising until recently.

Levin said he is not prepared to say what hotelier will now put up the building. "There will soon be a big announcement, and the hotel is going to be spectacular," he said.
Since the beginning of SunCor's lakeside development, a hotel was in the picture. But in recent months, some wondered whether there would be any hotel at all after Starwood backed out. Adding hotel space in downtown Tempe has been a priority for city planners and developers.

Now the $100 million-plus hotel will be put up by a company being lined up by SunCor development partner Tod Decker, president of Scottsdale-based Valhalla Development Group.

"It will be a four-star, four-diamond hotel, a beautiful hotel, and we have the land and will break ground in December," Decker said.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 5:26 PM

When are they going to announce this? I can see it now...

Quote:
Palin Hotel Pick

Sarah Palin, recently selected by Sen. John McCain to be his running mate, will add "Hotelier" to her resume in 2009, opening a four-star hotel in downtown Tempe, Arizona. "The timing just felt right," said an exuberant Palin, holding her 4-month-old baby Trig.

Last edited by andrewkfromaz; Sep 3, 2008 at 5:27 PM. Reason: forgot to add smilies in case someone though i was serious...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 1:27 AM

Mill Avenue Centerpoint complex delayed

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/125696

Seems maybe they were premature to vacate the theater.

So what would you do to fill those vacancies? I think I would lower the rent - bring in art studios/galleries/live music - Mill needs more entertainment. I'm still surprised that they don't put the hotel in.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 2:53 PM

I saw some excavating being done at the ONYX site this morning. I would be surprised to see anything going up for a while but who knows. It would be cool. Tempe Gateway project is about 4 stories at this point.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 11:48 PM
The Lizard King

Does anyone has some updates photos of centerpoint and tempe? I havn't see any lately....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest