HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 3:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Does anyone have an idea for a place / vantage point to watch the implosion on Sunday with bloody marys etc? I'll gladly bring some supplies...

There is a bar nearby (handsome willys) but it's just across the interstate and I would think that they'll shut the place down for safety reasons.

What about access to the LSU med center parking decks? I dont' mind paying to 'park" in there for a few hours and setup a tailgate!! Then again, these are relatively close...does anyone know how far back they'll keep everyone? Other ideas?

We have all been thinking the same thing. I believe the weather may also dictate how many blocks are closed. IF its really windy expect a larger vacate zone. We know the overpass will at least be closed. Ill call Handsome Willys as soon as they open and see whats up!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly do Benson and the Glazer family have to do with Tulane? Are they both alums? 70k NFL stadiums cost 3 or 400 mill, and I don't see Benson putting up $50m or so just to say that he lives down the street from a college stadium. What's the deal here?
Malcolm Glazer also owns the house in Audubon Place facing St. Charles across from the Tulane President's House.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 5:26 PM

Hotel implosion rescheduled for Dec. 18, time not announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Does anyone have an idea for a place / vantage point to watch the implosion on Sunday with bloody marys etc? I'll gladly bring some supplies...

There is a bar nearby (handsome willys) but it's just across the interstate and I would think that they'll shut the place down for safety reasons.

What about access to the LSU med center parking decks? I dont' mind paying to 'park" in there for a few hours and setup a tailgate!! Then again, these are relatively close...does anyone know how far back they'll keep everyone? Other ideas?

On Tulane stadium...i think it's pretty silly. As a Loyola alum...neither Loyola or Tulane students really give a sh** about their schools teams.

I went to the Navy v Tulane game in the Superdome (sister is navy) and I think Navy flew more fans in than Tulane fans.. it was sad.
LINK

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 5:45 PM
-

new items on bidclerk:

1766170 New Orleans, LA Hotel / Motel 11/11/2011
Description Renovation of a national chain hotel in New Orleans. Completed working drawings are calling for the renovation of a 231-room, four-story hotel. Plans include finish upgrades and MEP improvements. The owner has determined a list of select general...Click here for complete Project Details

658707 New Orleans, LA Educational 11/11/2011
Description Site work and new construction for an educational building in New Orleans. Conceptual plans call for the demolition of a single-family home and the construction of an approximately 30,000-square-foot educational building. Construction is schedul...Click here for complete Project Details

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
new items on bidclerk:

1766170 New Orleans, LA Hotel / Motel 11/11/2011
Description Renovation of a national chain hotel in New Orleans. Completed working drawings are calling for the renovation of a 231-room, four-story hotel. Plans include finish upgrades and MEP improvements. The owner has determined a list of select general...Click here for complete Project Details

658707 New Orleans, LA Educational 11/11/2011
Description Site work and new construction for an educational building in New Orleans. Conceptual plans call for the demolition of a single-family home and the construction of an approximately 30,000-square-foot educational building. Construction is schedul...Click here for complete Project Details
The first one is for the Residence Inn at 345 St. Joseph St. in New Orleans. The second is for St. Andrew's Episcopal Church Private School.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 7:43 PM

On the Tulane stadium: even if they like investing in sports, I don't see them ponying up the money for this. Tickets to college games at a place like Tulane are pretty cheap. I went to Rice in Houston, another C-USA school with a lousy football team, and tickets were maybe 5 bucks for students. They may have been free. I think a Tulane stadium would be more successful though with the way that the culture of Tulane is intertwined with the city. It could also serve as a high school field, and it would be a great place for concerts. I think they would actually be able to fill the stadium on a fairly regular basis, but not sure how much money it would actually make. What NolaMike mentioned about Tulane owning a part of the Superdome is the first I've heard of that. Pretty sure the state owns it outright.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 7:46 PM

McDonogh 11: I noticed it's up on a moving platform, passed by there last Friday. How exactly do you move a structure that large without sawing it in half, or is that the next step? It's at least as wide as one side of Tulane avenue, and I'm not even sure one truck would be able to haul its weight.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 8:44 PM

Large Chunks of Concrete Fall from WTC

http://www.wwltv.com/home/Large-piec...133802168.html

Quote:
NEW ORLEANS - A large piece of concrete fell from top of the World Trade Center in New Orleans around 6:45 a.m., according to the New Orleans Police Department....

--------------

I say implode this thing too....are implosions like Sams Club where you can buy in bulk? hahahaha

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 11:11 PM
TL;DR

This is ridiculous. It's demolition by neglect.

"Let's completely skip any and all maintenance on the building. After 2 or 3 years, the building will be so wretched that we'll HAVE to tear it down!"

I really like the WTC... although I think they should scrap the revolving restaurant at the top. It's a really beautiful, pure sculptural form - like the Superdome. And I think the Superdome project showed us that a series of careful, thoughtful renovations can update a building to completely modern standards without a huge expense that our city can't afford.

They should renovate the WTC. Fix any leaks in the building envelope, restore Spanish Plaza to its beautiful, multi-colored design, and construct small restaurant pavilions in the two little grassy lawn areas. The tower can be re-purposed as a hotel, especially since new high-rise hotels are forbidden around the Quarter.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 2:36 AM

RE: Tulane football stadium

The Superdome is a fantastic pro football stadium, but its a horrible stadium for small-time college football. People don't only go to sporting events for the game itself; they also go for the atmosphere. Tulane games at the Dome have terrible atmosphere because even if 20,000 fans come (an amazing feat by Tulane standards these days), the dome feels empty.

An outdoor on-campus stadium would greatly increase attendance for two reasons.

One, convenience for undergrads who admittedly don't give much of a damn at all about college sports, but would probably go if it was just a 2 or 3 block walk)=.

Two, increased attendance from casual sports fans who would enjoy spending a fall day outside. Also, factor that some people like watching football, but can't afford or can't get tickets to Saints games.

People who bet against New Orleans and Louisiana's capacity for supporting / watching football are usually wrong, when the people are given the chance to support an even halfway decent product.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron70115 View Post
RE: Tulane football stadium

The Superdome is a fantastic pro football stadium, but its a horrible stadium for small-time college football. People don't only go to sporting events for the game itself; they also go for the atmosphere. Tulane games at the Dome have terrible atmosphere because even if 20,000 fans come (an amazing feat by Tulane standards these days), the dome feels empty.

An outdoor on-campus stadium would greatly increase attendance for two reasons.

One, convenience for undergrads who admittedly don't give much of a damn at all about college sports, but would probably go if it was just a 2 or 3 block walk)=.

Two, increased attendance from casual sports fans who would enjoy spending a fall day outside. Also, factor that some people like watching football, but can't afford or can't get tickets to Saints games.

People who bet against New Orleans and Louisiana's capacity for supporting / watching football are usually wrong, when the people are given the chance to support an even halfway decent product.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for an on-campus stadium. I just wonder where the money is coming from, and I still think it will be a while before it can be self-supporting. Look at LSU. They can pull in 80-90k at $100+ a pop without even trying. The Tulane program has a long way to go before it can even approach that level. It's kind of a chicken and the egg problem.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 4:10 AM
-

College foot ball is like 20% game and 80% about the game day experience. Tulane will offer a unique experience if it has a campus stadium. Otherwise it just gets lost in the Saints shadow and hardly anyone cares enough to go downtown from the games. I think a 30,000 seat stadium is a great start and possibly they could build dorms and classrooms into the underside of the stands? Like Huey P did with Tiger Stadium.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 5:03 AM

Quote:
College foot ball is like 20% game and 80% about the game day experience. Tulane will offer a unique experience if it has a campus stadium. Otherwise it just gets lost in the Saints shadow and hardly anyone cares enough to go downtown from the games. I think a 30,000 seat stadium is a great start and possibly they could build dorms and classrooms into the underside of the stands? Like Huey P did with Tiger Stadium.
This is the firm that will design the new stadium. http://www.hok.com/

Tulane's time-frame is very ambitious. They wish to break ground next Spring and have it completed by October, 2013!! I think it's great, but I know the neighborhood will put up a fight.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Not all schools. Maybe Tulane. LSU is about the game.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Not all schools. Maybe Tulane. LSU is about the game.
False. Tiger tailgates are known far and wide. People come out for the beer not the "defensive struggles"; the Championships are just lagniappe. Thats why they are so angry because they havent had any conference night games.

Offcampus stadiums rarely work. Best of luck to the Greenwave.

Also heard that they are putting in another Jamba Juice on the corner of Louisiana and Magazine in the old Jackson H. tax place.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
False. Tiger tailgates are known far and wide. People come out for the beer not the "defensive struggles"; the Championships are just lagniappe. Thats why they are so angry because they havent had any conference night games.

Offcampus stadiums rarely work. Best of luck to the Greenwave.

Also heard that they are putting in another Jamba Juice on the corner of Louisiana and Magazine in the old Jackson H. tax place.
Half of those tailgaters don't even go to the game. Its always been about the football, and the beer.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 4:33 PM
-

Exactly half the tailgaters dont go to the game . Thats because they are there for the fun and there is nothing wrong with that fact either. They wont go downtown cause that isnt a fun experience for them.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 4:35 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
This is the firm that will design the new stadium. http://www.hok.com/

Tulane's time-frame is very ambitious. They wish to break ground next Spring and have it completed by October, 2013!! I think it's great, but I know the neighborhood will put up a fight.
Impressive. Where did they say this firm was chosen to build stadium?

Update:

http://www.bayoubuzz.com/louisiana-n...ium-for-tulane

I think its good news for Tulane in general.

New item on bidclerk today:

[New project.] 1743803 New Orleans, LA Restaurant, Retail 11/15/2011
Description Site work and new construction of a commercial development in New Orleans. Design plans call for the construction of a shopping center with 15 new retail spaces and a restaurant. Drawings are being finalized. A general contractor has been selected...Click here for complete Project Details

Last edited by tennis1400; Nov 15, 2011 at 4:48 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Impressive. Where did they say this firm was chosen to build stadium?

Update:

http://www.bayoubuzz.com/louisiana-n...ium-for-tulane

I think its good news for Tulane in general.

New item on bidclerk today:

[New project.] 1743803 New Orleans, LA Restaurant, Retail 11/15/2011
Description Site work and new construction of a commercial development in New Orleans. Design plans call for the construction of a shopping center with 15 new retail spaces and a restaurant. Drawings are being finalized. A general contractor has been selected...Click here for complete Project Details
This is where I got the architect's info: http://www.abc26.com/news/newswithat...5321578.column

Does anyone know what that new retain development is? South Market District? Winn-Dixie on Carrollton? The Riverwalk??

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 5:48 PM

Rouses

Just went to the new Rouse's. It was packed, so I did not stay long. They did a great job though. Much more similar to a Whole Foods than other Rouse's. Very expanded meat and seafood departments.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations