HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 8:24 PM
Site 8 Lives

Plans for vehicle-free ferry to Vancouver become a reality

Plans for vehicle-free ferry to Vancouver move forward

By Julie Andres - Bowen Island Undercurrent

Published: September 11, 2008 4:00 PM
Updated: September 12, 2008 9:33 AM

Peter Green is the marketing and communications director for Coastal Link Ferries. The construction of MV Coastal Runner, the first of three ships the company plans to have in service in the Lower Mainland over the next year, was completed in July at Sylte Shipyards in Maple Ridge. If all goes according to the current plan, the 65 foot aluminum boat will offer service on a regular route between Snug Cove and Vancouver. Sailing time will be approximately 30 minutes and full capacity will be 70 passengers. “We plan to have three runs in the morning and three in the afternoon, and to expand service, if needed,” said Green in a telephone interview.

Green, whose background is in tourism, says that he has been working with Vancouver hotels to create a four- to six-hour day trip from Vancouver to Bowen Island. He is also hoping to meet the needs of those on Bowen who want to attend evening events, such as hockey games, by having late runs directly downtown and back.

According to Green, Coastal Link Ferries founder and CEO Ihab Shaker is a master mariner who operated a passenger ferry service on Lake Ontario between Toronto and St. Catharine’s and other locations in the late 1990s. “We are hiring crew this week and next, then we will have fire drills and inspections by Transport Canada. We plan to visit Bowen in the last week of September and start trial runs then,” Capt. Shaker said.

In May Coastal Link was looking for public support for service from Gibsons to Vancouver, but, according to both Shaker and Green, moorage there proved to be more expensive than expected. “The Gibsons Landing Harbour Authority offered us rates that are above the published rates,” said Green. “Maybe they don’t realize the benefits.” They turned their interest toward Bowen Island and are pleased with the possibilities.

Carol Doyle of the GLHA said that they have made Coastal Link a “very fair offer ... as fair as any water taxi pays”. She added that, “The boat and crew are not certified by Transport Canada, they have no insurance documents and they have not secured moorage in Vancouver”. But Capt. Shaker said that it is all done. “The only thing we need is an operating certificate, which is obtained after sea trials and inspections,” he commented.

Coastal Runner is a light, fast boat designed for river travel. When asked how the ship handles in rough seas, Green answered that on July 19 on a trip in the Strait of Georgia they encountered sizable wakes from large vessels. “It handles surprisingly well,” he said.

A meeting with Norma Dallas, who operates the Bowen Island Marina, was planned for Thursday, Sept. 11 (before the Undercurrent’s press time). “It’s an initial meeting; we’ll see if we have room and if we have what they need,” said Dallas on Wednesday.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 8:38 PM
Dérive-r

Cool, if the price is right I'll definitely be taking a day trip or two to Bowen Island on that. I wonder where their Vancouver terminal will be initially located. I assume their ultimate location will be at the Waterfront Station transit hub considering ferry service was mentioned as part of the plans.

By the way, I don't think the suburban development thread is the best place for this so I'll be moving it to the transportation thread.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 8:55 PM

it would be great if they had some kind of allowances for bikes

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 12:14 AM

thanks for the info

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 2:21 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

interesting. anyone have any pictures of this boat?

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 5:18 AM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post
it would be great if they had some kind of allowances for bikes
I can't imagine why not. There's lots of people who would commute by bike if that were the case.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 8:19 PM

they have a website http://coastallinkferries.com/

doesn't look like much room for bikes hella awkward to get in and out too

pic from web site:

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 12:11 AM

Yikes...those are the type of river boats you see on the Thames or Seine for tourists.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 12:19 AM

omg....i hate those boats. I rode one of those to Keats Island a year ago, it wasn't a comfortable ride to say the least.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 2:24 AM

competition

It looks like they are going to have some competition:
http://www.giwt.ca/Bowen_Island_Express.html

And this one does take bikes.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 5:47 AM
Dérive-r

I saw one of their boats by Coal Harbour Marina today, just outside of the Bayshore and snapped a few pics with my phone:

A bit hard to see inside but there appears to be plenty of table space

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 9:43 AM

thanks for the photos.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 11:15 PM
Dérive-r

Snapped a random photo of one of their boats in action yesterday from the Convention Centre. Looked pretty full of people for a Tuesday afternoon. Looking at their website I'm guessing this was the 4:15pm sailing.

After checking their website out again it looks like they've been doing fairly good business. I've decided I'm definitely going to try it out one nice Sunday soon. $25 return trip and on Sundays you can leave Vancouver a little later (11am) and return by 6pm. On second thought I might check out that competing company first though since they apparently allow bikes.

From their website: http://coastallinkferries.com/

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 5:33 AM
ON3P Skis

God damn that's an ugly boat! lol. I am happy to see that it is doing decent business though.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 5:41 AM

I've been on one of those, not very pleasing to say the least.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 6:03 AM

Wow, that looks like it should be landing at Normandy on D-Day.
At least it is an alternative...hopefully they can get larger and more stable vessels soon.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 6:56 AM

$25 return? pass $4.50 for BCF+washroom sure beats the crap out of that sumerien.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
Wow, that looks like it should be landing at Normandy on D-Day.
LOL. You'd think that after 65 years since D-day, we wouldn't be using passenger ferry boats that look like army transports.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 3:19 PM

I actually sort of like the shuttle design. It works! The passengers actually get nice views, the compartment is protected from the rain and wind quite well, which as we know is rather important here during the winter. Plus, the seats look comfortable and well-spaced. It also looks like it would be quick to load/unload and clean as well. I mean, it is not like the people are riding below the surface of the water in darkness or anything. And how fancy does a 20-minute shuttle need to be exactly?

I think with a better, more modern paint job and a better-looking logo, it could look rather retro-modern, rather than archaic as it does with the current scheme.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 5:08 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
$25 return? pass $4.50 for BCF+washroom sure beats the crap out of that sumerien.
You including bus transit to the island with that price?
  • $9.20 Return (Ferry)
  • $7.00 for a [minimum] 45 min. bus ride

This brings us up to $16.

In this context a direct no-transfer 25-30 min. water taxi that has tables (for those that can work on their way to work) and no waiting for vehicles to load.
Door to door service to the Waterfront CBD...

What's not to love?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure