HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 11:19 PM

starfish sounds sea like, except we dont have any in this cold blue sea.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
so the pass only works for skytrain, canadaline and evergreen?
It works for the entire transit system, including the bus, SeaBus, and WCE.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 11:33 PM

I see, that's gona be hard naming.

Basically you want the sea to ground to sky kind of thing, and nothing does that other than penguins.

or some kind of bird, like a pigeon.

and both are stupid looking things which contridict the idea of smart.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 11:35 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
It works for the entire transit system, including the bus, SeaBus, and WCE.
Hopefully, then municipalities and businesses will accept the card too. ORCA was perfect... I actually like GoCard LMAO

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 11:39 PM
Shoebox Dweller

ORCA is by far the best (meets the whole 'o' theme given by other major cities - octopus, oyster, opus)

Polar? (matches our cold north stereotype)
CoastCard?
ViewCone?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 11:40 PM

Just call it the Otter.

How could you say no to that face?

As much as I love Orca, not likely with Seattle just across the border using that.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 11:45 PM

i didn't know what an otter was at first, now that i see this face, i think i must say no.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 11:57 PM

Hong Kong Octopus
London Oyster
Seattle Orca
Vancouver Otter

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 12:31 AM
Hello World

Since ORCA is taken, I will have to go with OTTER. Now we will have to think of a full name using that abbreviation (if needed).

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 12:40 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
Hong Kong Octopus
London Oyster
Seattle Orca
Vancouver Otter
Cool! I would vote for Otter now!

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 12:45 AM

Stupid Seattle, i guess Otter is as good as it gets now, and i guess it is not as bad as "Oyster."

Also where are you from Vansky, how can you not know what an otter is?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Stupid Seattle, i guess Otter is as good as it gets now, and i guess it is not as bad as "Oyster."

Also where are you from Vansky, how can you not know what an otter is?
I'm from Shanghai, glad you asked.

The thing is that I never really hanged out with native canadians here, so I have a lack of vocabulary in stuff like otter, but I'm open to know more people here.

Anyways, Vancouver's roads are outdated compare to Shanghai's. Someone on this forum actually went to SH just recently. The expressway and skyscraper system there is better than any city that I've visited except for Hong Kong. Hong Kong got a stronger creative scene.

So now you know why I keep on dissing Richmond. It's hard for Vancouver to compare itself to top cities in China, doesn't really have the scale to show off.

Then again, Shanghai doesnt have any mountain or ocean. Then again, Vancouver is the north hollywood, whereas Shanghai doesn't have a cinema scene.

I visited HK's timesqaure or some mall that had 7+ floors, and gawd, metrotown...Nothing can save it from being called as shit by my HK friends. Shame man, hahaha...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 2:07 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
I visited HK's timesqaure or some mall that had 7+ floors, and gawd, metrotown...Nothing can save it from being called as shit by my HK friends. Shame man, hahaha...
That's quite different. Hong Kong has no space to let malls expand outwards, so they expand upwards. Metrotown has more sqft of shopping space than Hong Kong's Timesquare for sure!

The only mall I really liked in HK was Olympia.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 2:10 AM
See ya down under, mates

I wouldn't be bragging about Shanghai after the recent photo threads posted here. What a dump.

But, on topic, how about the FOB card (For All Buses?)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
I wouldn't be bragging about Shanghai after the recent photo threads posted here. What a dump.

But, on topic, how about the FOB card (For All Buses?)
I hope my little reply didn't hurt your big esteem there. I am not bragging, if that's what you felt. And you are right, it is a dump, dirty and chaotic, but that doesn't mean we can't learn something from the better aspects of the city.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
That's quite different. Hong Kong has no space to let malls expand outwards, so they expand upwards. Metrotown has more sqft of shopping space than Hong Kong's Timesquare for sure!

The only mall I really liked in HK was Olympia.
Metrotown is an immediate loss in many's eyes, maybe I am wrong, but metrotown doesn't have that grandiose feel to it. The closest that comes in my mind is Pacific Center. I have to say vancouver is not competitive in terms of service, infrastructure, business activity and population. It does have a concentrated talent force, but too small to take care of the many things around the city's corners. Then again, it's the most livable. There are cities that are better, not just in the west, or the east, Istanbul got a very good infrastructure too. Just keep ourselves open minded about the world outside of here.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 2:35 AM

Well my Japanese friends sure do love Metrotown, thats all i can say about that topic.

As for infrastructure i do agree we are lacking in most departments, but Vancouver seems to have a very anti-layered approach so what can one do? Also it has many old outdated by-laws that prevent the use of lighting, colour and signage in the city, has very strict liquor laws and restaurant regulations and unfortunately is watering down all of the commercial and entertainment districts with vacation residential. Now the last item would not be a problem if city council had some more balls and did not let the residents dictate every little aspect of the area, but sadly they don't.

That being said, for me the pros of Vancouver far out way the cons and there is no other city i would rather live in. But i will keep on pushing as hard as i can to have those few flaws corrected

I know there are many here who agree with me, but also many here who say "if you don't like it, move somewhere else." And to those people i say "If those desiring more density 20 years ago in Van simply moved somewhere else, where would the city be now?" (and trust me, they had opposition to their ideals and plans too)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 2:41 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Okay this thread is getting way off topic, not that it was probably going anywhere anyways.

Quote:
would not be a problem if city council had some more balls and did not let the residents dictate every little aspect of the area, but sadly they don't.
But are you kidding me about that statement? Who the heck should the city listen to if not the residents. The residents are the ones that elected them, the council is directly responsible to the residents. That is how the system works. What you are suggesting is bordering on totalitarian, council should do what they feel is best and disregard the wishes of the population.
There are lots of decisions I don't agree with, but at the same time I wouldn't want it any other way.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 2:43 AM

I knew jlousa would take the bate, tehe. And boy is he fast! And yes city council should not bend over backwards all the time for special interest groups. As stated many times before, usually those who are against something are much more vocal than those who are for something. Also jlousa, using your mentality, i never want to hear you criticize any other city council for allowing sprawl or what you consider undesirable developments (such as in Delta, Abbotsford, Langley or Surrey). Because with your thinking, if sprawl is what the people want (even if the city knows better), i guess we just have to give it to them!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 3:07 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

And you don't hear me criticize other cities allowing sprawl. I personally don't agree with it, but those cities are correct in allowing it, as the residents there demand it. Governments are required to provide what the population wants otherwise they are voted out, it's really plain and simple. Any government that tries to do what they feel is in the greater good will meet defeat if the public doesn't agree with them.

And residents are not special interests by the way. The problems you have are not with council, they are with residents. Feel free to try and change their minds.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure