HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
Yes, Translink's 10-year priorities for fast and frequent transit is a good start for what Metro Vancouver looks like right now, but if more density is allowed on the West Side the north-south bus routes will need some upgrades. Something like the 2 to Dunbar Loop should probably already be running articulated busses between downtown and Broadway given how overcrowded it is, especially in the summer. And that need will only increase as multi-family homes are built on the West Side.
I think the plans for the Arbutus Station bus loop pretty heavily imply that Arbutus will see a north-south bus and/or the 16 will see serious changes. I feel like if they were to run a bus all the way up Arbutus to Kits Beach you'd relieve a lot of the summer pressure the 2 receives right now.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 1:36 AM

I wonder if a case could be made for a RapidBus loop on the North Shore connecting the Lynn Creek, Lynn Valley, Edgemont, and Lions Gate town centres. Something like Mountain Highway, 29th/Queens, Capilano, Marine/3rd/Main.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
I wonder if a case could be made for a RapidBus loop on the North Shore connecting the Lynn Creek, Lynn Valley, Edgemont, and Lions Gate town centres. Something like Mountain Highway, 29th/Queens, Capilano, Marine/3rd/Main.
Respectfully as a former North Shore resident, I think that catchment barely has the ridership to support the busses that currently exist. Transit ridership on the North Shore is all about getting to the First Narrows, the Second Narrows, or the Quay to cross the harbour. I think transit ridership within the North Shore is pretty pitiful.

Perhaps that will change in the future, but I really find it hard to believe that there's a significant untapped population living in Edgemont that would benefit from an express bus to Lynn Valley or there's a significant untapped population living in Lynn Valley that is dying for an express bus to Lionsgate. For the most part, the population centres on the North Shore are transit sources but they're hardly transit sinks.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 3:17 AM

After more urbanization, there's a decent argument for an express line from Park Royal through Central Lonsdale to Lynn Valley, but that's about it. Edgemont and the Upper Level are just too far out of the way of anything.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Respectfully as a former North Shore resident, I think that catchment barely has the ridership to support the busses that currently exist. Transit ridership on the North Shore is all about getting to the First Narrows, the Second Narrows, or the Quay to cross the harbour. I think transit ridership within the North Shore is pretty pitiful.

Perhaps that will change in the future, but I really find it hard to believe that there's a significant untapped population living in Edgemont that would benefit from an express bus to Lynn Valley or there's a significant untapped population living in Lynn Valley that is dying for an express bus to Lionsgate. For the most part, the population centres on the North Shore are transit sources but they're hardly transit sinks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
After more urbanization, there's a decent argument for an express line from Park Royal through Central Lonsdale to Lynn Valley, but that's about it. Edgemont and the Upper Level are just too far out of the way of anything.
OK, perhaps a RapidBus is too much, I should have suggested a regular route. However, the reason I made the suggestion was because one problem with our local (North Shore) transit is very similar to what drivers face: east-west routes are limited. There are many options to get to the bridges or to the Quay, but getting from one neighbourhood to another is a challenge. For our kids, living above Edgemont, jobs in Lynn Valley are not an appealing option because - while it's a short drive - it takes far too long to get there and back by transit. Those trips require at least one or more transfers and you end up going down to Central Lonsdale before going back up to central Lynn Valley. Even a community shuttle would help. However, many of the routes have not changed substantially (if at all) in decades.

Also, I don't know if it's accurate to describe Edgemont as "too far out of the way" when it is only five minutes up from the highway and home to a library, supermarket, six banks and an adjacent community centre/pool.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 4:51 AM

Be that as it may, there's only three arterials in and out of the village to the rest of the North Shore, it's not really on the way to anything unless you're in Lynn Valley and headed to Grouse or the reservoir, and (partially because of those two) the DNV's only rezoning it for 1.75 FSR. 15-20 minute service is likely the upper limit on transit for the next few decades.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
Also, I don't know if it's accurate to describe Edgemont as "too far out of the way" when it is only five minutes up from the highway and home to a library, supermarket, six banks and an adjacent community centre/pool.
Seems like the best you'll get is a community shuttle doing the Lynn Valley-Edgemont-Park Royal route unless they can upgrade that to a regular bus. It might be difficult for transfers but some kind of express highway bus on the shoulder route might make sense then you can connect with all the existing north/south feeder routes.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 5:16 PM

Quote:
If TransLink is unwilling to provide a bus service reaching Gloucester industrial park, the Township of Langley has indicated it is ready to carve the area out of TransLink’s jurisdiction and pursue BC Transit services.

Earlier this week, Langley Township Council approved a motion to formalize its grievances to TransLink that there is no bus service to the industrial park, despite many years of advocacy by businesses, employees, and the municipal government.

With the exception of most of the services within West Vancouver, TransLink is the public transit authority for the entire Metro Vancouver region. BC Transit, the provincial government’s public transit authority, is the service provider of the Fraser Valley. The eastern border of Glocuster industrial park is also the boundary line between Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley, more specifically Abbotsford.

The industrial park is located at the 264 Street interchange of Highway 1, spanning an area of over 700 acres — surrounded by the protected Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR).
[source]

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 8:19 PM

Langley Township needs to be honest with themselves: how likely is it that a warehouse complex on the TCH in the middle of nowhere would get any service without TransLink?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Langley Township needs to be honest with themselves: how likely is it that a warehouse complex on the TCH in the middle of nowhere would get any service without TransLink?
The only way I see it getting any type of service is when the Langley Skytrain opened, and Translink may open a peak-only shuttle route from Langley station, through Salmon River, to Glocuster. But this should still be 5 years away at least.

If there are actually people riding it, maybe they can then add mid-day and weekend service, and stop by the Zoo while they're at it

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 9:10 PM

I'm not entirely sure how BC Transit does route planning, but why would BC Transit provide any better service?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 9:19 PM

They won't. Abbotsford's Flying Spaghetti Monster is prime evidence that BC Transit has no idea what they're doing, and neither does the Township.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 9:35 PM

Quote:
They won't. Abbotsford's Flying Spaghetti Monster is prime evidence that BC Transit has no idea what they're doing, and neither does the Township.

I remember pre-TransLink and yeah the routes were a mess. Pretty much all the routes SoF were about travelling to / from downtown Van - you were screwed if you wanted to go anywhere else.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
I'm not entirely sure how BC Transit does route planning, but why would BC Transit provide any better service?
I think they probably want to have the route 66 divert into the industrial park, at a cost of everyone who just want an express service to/from Metro Vancouver.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 2:01 AM

even if BC Transit is willing to service the area, no one will ride it because people from coming from langley and surrey will have to double dip every time.

this is what you get for zoning an industrial area in the middle of nowhere.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 2:31 AM

All this fuss over a bus, when the simple answer is to extend the SkyTrain along 56 Avenue. It's only 13 kilometres, a mere pittance in the grand scheme of things.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 4:10 AM

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/1...link-skytrain/

Quote:
CMBC is trialling new winter-rated tires featuring a different tread pattern, on one third of the fleet – which equates to approximately 500 buses.

The tires currently used on CMBC’s fleet are winter-rated tires which are replaced proactively to keep the tread in good condition. They carry the Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake rating, the highest winter rating available for bus tires.
The tires being tested are new to the market and carry the same Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake winter rating.
Braking, fuel economy, and wear on tire tread over time will be compared. The testing results will help inform future decisions about CMBC tires.
https://www.translink.ca/news/2023/n...nter%20weather

Maybe they can stick some sandbags in the back of the bus while they are at it.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 6:21 PM

^

Jeez. Were they running racing slicks before?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 10:57 PM
SkyTrain Nut

The road noise is going to be amazing.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 12:52 AM

The Phibbs Exchange remodel is coming along nicely and shouldn't be too much longer; Took a picture on the road today. (I was the passenger... maybe)

Larger image

(Also wow Lower Lynn is a lowrise haven! Just wish there was more pedestrian/transit user friendly businesses in the area.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure