HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
From what I understand, it was an attempt to address the frequent database errors by closing large threads that had thousands and thousands of posts.
oh thats why i am getting database errors. i was wondering what was up with that.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
oh thats why i am getting database errors. i was wondering what was up with that.
Unfortunately that wasn’t why, just a mod grasping at straws. The site owner and webmaster are looking into the database errors.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=256356

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 6:27 AM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Unfortunately that wasn’t why, just a mod grasping at straws. The site owner and webmaster are looking into the database errors.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=256356
It would be cool if the fine folks running this forums can take this opportunity to upgrade to a newer forums framework? This vBulletin feels like 90’s design, haha! There are more modern forums framework now, right?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 10:03 AM

As well as moving to Xenforo, having more sub forums like Transit, Bus, SkyTrain, Seabus, etc then individual threads can be created on specific topics that won't go for tens of pages. make it allow easier to find stuff,

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
This vBulletin feels like 90’s design, haha!
That's a big part of the appeal of SSP to me. It's the last vestige of a far more enjoyable time on the internet. I genuinely hope it never changes.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 6:11 PM

First phase of TransLink’s mega expansion plan approved by mayors’ council

Quote:
The massive first phase of TransLink’s Access for Everyone plan has been approved by the TransLink Mayors’ Council on Thursday.

The council will be sending a submission to the federal minister of finance calling for Canada to join the region and the province in developing a funding model.

“(Thursday) the Mayors’ Council has agreed on a plan for the new and expanded transit services we will need to accommodate population growth and put affordable housing within reach for everyone in our communities,” said Port Coquitlam Mayor Brad West, TransLink Mayors’ Council’s chair.

“Transit-oriented development is a key component of the province’s and region’s plan to respond to the housing affordability crisis, but without federal financial support and a sustainable funding model to help deliver additional transit into the future, we won’t be successful.”

In the submission ahead of the 2024-25 federal budget, the council is asking the government of Canada to support the creation of three Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) projects, commit new capital funding for the Permanent Transit Fund and join the working group between B.C. and TransLink to assist in developing a new transit funding model.

The council said Metro Vancouver’s transit services are “essentially frozen” at 2019 levels, even though the region’s population has grown by nearly 200,000 people since 2019.

The capital funds that are requested for the Permanent Transit Fund will be used for a number of large-scale upgrades for TransLink, such as expanding TransLink’s bus fleet ($375 million), adding bus depot capacity ($1.4 billion), and transportation and road safety projects ($70 million).

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 6:58 PM

wheres the gondola funding?!?! give me my gondola!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 7:49 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
wheres the gondola funding?!?! give me my gondola!
The Daily Hive article said this:

Quote:
The SFU Burnaby Mountain gondola, which carries an estimated cost of over $200 million, was not included in this initial federal funding ask. TransLink is hoping to build the gondola later this decade.
So I guess the Gondola, while being part of Translink's 10-year priorities, is a years 5-10 priority.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 8:02 PM

They're going to complete the business case and initial design work before going out for funding. Better to isolate it from this request, which is primarily funding for buses.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 3:49 AM

Route 23 Route revision proposal

https://buzzer.translink.ca/2023/11/...ZgmC6rb75xhldk

TLDR: They want to send the 23 up to Burrard Station in a bid to use bigger vehicles. Albeit this time, the routing is via Denman, Robson to Burrard Station.

Do note the old C21 operated Burrard-Yaletown-Beach when it was first introduced. The Burrard-Yaletown section was eliminated in September 2010 (at which point it was operating peak only).

The C21 and C23 merged in December 2016 to become the 23 service; the latter half of the 2010s saw the elimination of the "Cxx" route designation for shuttle routes.

Last edited by Express691; Nov 28, 2023 at 4:04 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 9:45 AM

With the proposed change, I guess the extension to Second Beach will no longer be considered. The potential Terminal Ave extension is still possible though.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
With the proposed change, I guess the extension to Second Beach will no longer be considered. The potential Terminal Ave extension is still possible though.
Translink has been indicating they want to run a bus along E 1st, I presume the western end of the route would run along Terminal terminating at Main St Stn.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 4:01 AM

TransLink makes moves towards opening new public washrooms
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/tran...s-construction

Quote:
At this time, the public transit authority is looking to retrofit the existing washroom facilities
at SkyTrain Metrotown Station and within the SeaBus terminals of Waterfront Station and Lonsdale Quay.
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/tran...s-construction

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 1:16 PM

first post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
This thread is a continuation of the previous thread. Please proceed.
(dat timing i just joined just a couple days ago (after ocassionally saving pics from here back in 2015-2016 as an 11-12y/o) and i witnessed the end of an era (2007-2023.10.23) from last month

so idky the old thread was stopped because youve used it for so long)

first post

Last edited by zhaotou; Dec 1, 2023 at 3:18 PM. Reason: I just noticed a lot of other Vancouver forums here are also moved?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 7:36 PM

I hadn't heard of this in the news. Apologies if its already been discussed.

Details of passenger pileup on SkyTrain station escalator revealed
The escalator was put back in service on Oct. 27 after malfunctioning a month earlier
By Bob Mackin | December 1, 2023, 8:45am

One of the three people hurt in a Granville Station escalator pileup Sept. 29 was a 71-year-old woman who suffered head, shoulder and knee injuries.

That is according to a SkyTrain attendant’s incident report, obtained under the freedom of information law.

The second and third persons “did not wish to wait for medical attendant and exited the station after giving their account of the occurrence and contact information,” said the report by attendant Greg Thomas.

A SkyTrain engineering assets technical investigation report said that Granville escalator number three had a “runaway condition where the handrail was stopped but the steps kept speeding down with passengers on the escalator. Many passengers fell on and at the bottom of the escalator.”.

A timeline said the problem began at 2:54 p.m. when the escalator briefly sped up, causing passengers to run or jump off when they reached the bottom.

Two minutes later, it appeared to speed up with medium passenger loading and slow down when passengers exited the escalator. The cycle repeated at 2:57 p.m. and 2:58 p.m.

At 3 p.m., the steps started to briefly speed up and the handrail appeared to be going slower or at normal speed. Again, passengers were running and jumping off when they reached the bottom.

At 3:01 p.m., however, it sped up again. “The handrail stops but the steps appear to be speeding out of control.”

A customer pressed the emergency stop at the top, but passengers continued to go down the now-stopped escalator at 3:02 p.m.

“With 16 passengers on the escalator, it starts to move very fast down and dumps all the passengers in a pile at the bottom,” the report said.

https://biv.com/article/2023/12/deta...lator-revealed

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 3:05 AM

nope hadn't heard of that. eek that sucks though. i didnt know escalators could become runaways. some gearing must have broke.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 7:07 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
nope hadn't heard of that. eek that sucks though. i didnt know escalators could become runaways. some gearing must have broke.
Youtube has CCTV footage of other escalators running away but typically it's catastrophic mechanical failures from being severely overloaded.
Are these the new escalators they just installed? Are they variable speed?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 7:53 AM

I had not heard of it either, strange how a fairly big news story got no coverage.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 5:20 PM

Luckily it wasn't fully loaded when it failed..

Quote:
Investigation into such incidents reveals a number of ways a runaway can occur, including a drive chain failure, brake failure or gearbox failure, as indicated in Figure 1.

There have been incidents in which a second component failure also contributed to a runaway situation, primarily when an auxiliary brake is installed but failed to bring the step band to rest. There are other reasons an escalator can runaway, but those illustrated above are the primary ones found in researching the subject. Another reason is a drive unit fixing failure that renders the drive chain, brake and gearbox ineffective, but this appears to have been a one-off event.
https://elevatorworld.com/article/escalator-runaways/

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Luckily it wasn't fully loaded when it failed..
https://elevatorworld.com/article/escalator-runaways/
The belt failed at the same time as the suspenders...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure