HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 3:08 PM

Re: The Architecture magazine.

I feel sorry for the poor bastard who chooses to go to Saskatoon over any of the cities in that list, save for a couple of them. "Deep in the wilderness of Saskatchewan" LOL, I think they spelled flat farmland wrong.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 7:24 PM

kewl video of saskatoon's downtown through the river from a drone https://youtu.be/sRxNuXr1a9g

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 10:59 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I received in the mail yesterday (Jan 8th) a letter from City that states a Public Hearing at City Council will take place for the North Prairie Development on College and Clarence on January 28th. Letter invites to attend or submit letter.

Hope this goes through, but I am sure the Varsity View Community Association will be there to express their opposition!...not that they necessarily represent the opinion of the entire neighborhood.
I take it you live in Varsity View, prairieguy? If you're able to go in person on the 28th, I bet that saying to Council exactly what you said in your last sentence could be pretty powerful.

Your post prompted me to search for some more info on this on the City's website. There's a webpage here: https://www.saskatoon.ca/engage/1006...e-avenue-north

It has all the details on how to write to or speak to Council on the topic. Among us forumers on here I'm sure we could show some persuasive support.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
done here
What happened? Did someone send you something offensive? I appreciate your comments on here...

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 9:06 AM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 5:54 PM

Finally looks like there is some activity at the corner of Queen St. and 8th Ave. where the Bethany Manor home once stood.

The lot has been cleaned up, there is a construction fence up, and there are protective barriers around the trees.

Google says the house was 100 years old when demolished on Feb 18, 2012. I found this link as well:

https://www.spacelist.ca/listings/17...r-802_queen_st

If this is what gets built it will be a real downgrade from what was originally proposed. I get the feeling this building will only have surface parking (but I could be wrong).

Last edited by alt_center; Jan 12, 2019 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 4:39 PM

Hmmm...so the condo project proposed there has been completely abandoned? That is a shame...I know there had been pushback from a neighbor about the loss of sunshine...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Hmmm...so the condo project proposed there has been completely abandoned? That is a shame...I know there had been pushback from a neighbor about the loss of sunshine...
Its funny how people think that they are entitled to such things. "Cant build that development, wont get my sunshine"

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 5:27 PM
Registered Geek

Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
Its funny how people think that they are entitled to such things. "Cant build that development, wont get my sunshine"
I know the family and have been to the house numerous times. The building would drastically change the natural light into the home and onto the yards. So yes, it was a challenge.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post
I know the family and have been to the house numerous times. The building would drastically change the natural light into the home and onto the yards. So yes, it was a challenge.
But their access to sunlight trumps potentially dozens of new families' access to a home in City Park?

A two-storey modern infill was recently built right next to my 100-year old bungalow (both on 25 foot lots) and I lost every ounce of sunlight in my kitchen and dining room because of that monster.

That didn't stop the infill from happening. Nor should it have. It was moderately upsetting, but it's not the kind of thing that should stymie smart redevelopment. And if it does, if NIMBYism rules the day, we'll stagnate forever and never have nice things.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 2:03 PM

I saw in Saturdays' paper that Parcel YY and XX are being tendered for sale. It also notes the 2 parcels of land are being tendered together.

Does anyone know where these are, as it does not provide a civic address. Is this around the Farmers Market??

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I saw in Saturdays' paper that Parcel YY and XX are being tendered for sale. It also notes the 2 parcels of land are being tendered together.

Does anyone know where these are, as it does not provide a civic address. Is this around the Farmers Market??
Nope.

Farmers market parcels are BB and D/E. Something tells me the parcel XX is in evergreen. But could be a different one.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Nope.

Farmers market parcels are BB and D/E. Something tells me the parcel XX is in evergreen. But could be a different one.
Just checked the zoning map of Evergreen and both parcel xx and yy are on it and side by side.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Nope.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post
How tall was the condo proposal and what was the setback from Queen st like? Looking at that lot in Google maps 3d view it seems it would have to be massive to block any daylight from the nearest back yard to the north.

edit: found it... IMO it's only 1 story taller than the old building and it was set at the front of the property so I don't personally think it would have been more detrimental than the old building as far as sunlight goes.

Last edited by Arts; Jan 21, 2019 at 8:08 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 2:05 AM

Hadn't even heard of this project - it looks fantastic. Is it dead?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
Hadn't even heard of this project - it looks fantastic. Is it dead?
Unfortunately it is dead. IMO the local firm, Koopman Architecture, did a great job with the design of that condo.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the property was sold to another developer. The new developer has retained the services of another local firm, Oxbow Architecture, to design a two storey medical office building on that site:

http://www.oxbowarch.ca/#/queen-st/

I saw a piling rig for the foundations on site this past weekend so construction is already be underway. I believe Strata is the general contractor.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 12:06 PM

This is actually good, we have a ton of dentists downtown in really nice spaces, but only a few doctors. I’m living downtown but drive out to willow grove for a doctor... so I just never go lol

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
This is actually good, we have a ton of dentists downtown in really nice spaces, but only a few doctors. I’m living downtown but drive out to willow grove for a doctor... so I just never go lol
Unfortunately there is a ton of vacant office space on Queen Street. And one of it's largest practices, City Centre Family Physicians (with 20+ drs) recently moved to Stonebridge (but kept the name City Centre). AFAIK their former space has remained vacant.

I hope this new building attracts professional tenants. Likewise I hope that the new build at Queen & 2nd fills up. Hopefully Queen Street can recover a bit. Its a great street with tons of potential. As usual, though everything is about parking parking parking. That's all that seems to matter in this town.

Speaking of parking and Queen St... I was very disappointed when the Shangri-La basically put up big blank walls (i.e. parking) on its ground floor. That's not what the street needs to become more vibrant. I wish stuff like that was not permitted. At least this new development does include some underground parking (I had speculated earlier in this thread that maybe it had only surface parking).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan