HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 12:11 AM

From Heritage Vancouver:

From above:
Quote:
Heritage Status
All four buildings in Sinclair Centre (757 West Hastings Street) are listed on the Vancouver Heritage Register: the Former Post Office (1905-09), Winch Building (1908-09) and Customs Warehouse (1911-13) are all Category A, and the Public Building (1937-39) is Category B. The Post Office and Winch buildings are also protected through municipal heritage designations.
Quote:
Threat
In 2015 Vancouver City Council voted to allow Public Works & Government Services Canada, which manage Sinclair Centre, to submit a rezoning proposal to increase the maximum density from a floor space ratio (FAR) of 5:1 up to 17:1 or 20:1 FAR. Height would be increased to a total of 29 storeys, or 22 storeys on top of the existing complex.

This increased height of up to 29 storeys would meet the City’s policy for the retention of view corridors, but it is contrary to the Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada. These provide direction for building additions to be ‘compatible, subordinate and distinguishable’ from the historic site, but the scale of this proposed tower would be enormous in relation to existing height and would radically change the heritage character of the four buildings. Seismic upgrades and the structure required to hold the weight of the tower would also result in the removal of portions of the historic structures and even the potential loss of one or two heritage buildings in entirety.

Despite the fact that Sinclair Centre has been designated with various levels of heritage status, the site is still at risk, because senior government is not required to comply with municipal policies and could add the tower without City approval. Notably, the federal government does not need to conform to the City’s policies regarding height and view cones.

The National Trust for Canada has declared Sinclair Centre as one of the Top 10 Endangered Places in Canada in 2017, stating: “Sinclair Centre is in a vulnerable position: Unlike all other G8 nations, Canada lacks statutory protection of federally-owned heritage. The hope is that the federal government will show leadership in the sensitive management and development of this landmark historic place.”

Quote:
Significance
Sinclair Centre is significant as a symbol of the federal government in Vancouver, as expressed in the architectural styles and features of the four buildings, as individual landmarks and an ensemble.

The Former Post Office (1905-09) at the corner of Granville Street and Hastings Street was the work of David Ewart, who was Chief Architect of the Department of Public Works. This Beaux Arts building is built at a monumental scale, including the landmark clock tower, which was used across Canada to symbolize a federal presence. Ewart also designed the Neo-Classical Customs Examining Warehouse (1911-13) as an annex to the Post Office, which was typically the function of customs warehouses in communities. Together these two buildings were the receiving and clearinghouse for mail and imported goods until the Main Post Office at 349 West Georgia Street (McCarter, Nairne & Partners) opened in 1958.

Thomas Hooper designed The Winch Building (1908-09) as offices and commercial space for entrepreneur Richard Vance Winch. The structure became a federal property in 1925. It is one of Hooper’s most important buildings, because of its ornate Beaux-Arts finish and the way that it blends harmoniously with Ewart’s designs through close integration of materials, orientation and composition.

IMAGE Public Building (1937-1939) designed by McCarter & Nairne, at Granville & Cordova Street. Image CVA

Lastly, the Public Building (1937-39) is the work of McCarter & Nairne. This is the only one of the ensemble that is not a designated Federal Heritage Building, however, it is significant for its Modern Classicism, then typical of institutional structures, and is understood to be integral to Block 15, as recognized in its inclusion on Vancouver’s Heritage Register.

Block 15 also has value for its association with local events and people. Renovated in 1986 by local firms Henriquez & Partners and Toby, Russell, Buckwell (now RATIO), the integration of the four buildings was achieved through the introduction of a glass atrium in an award-winning example of Post-Modernism and rehabilitation.

In 1990 this project won a Governor General’s Award for Architecture, Canada’s highest architectural honour. It is also notable that the new integrated complex was named after the Hon. James Sinclair, Member of Parliament for North Vancouver, and the grandfather of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Beyond the architecture are the intangible stories of this landmark grouping as the built representation of federal power. The Former Post Office was one of the sites occupied by unemployed men during the Great Depression to protest the lack of federal support for their plight. On May 20, 1938, hundreds of men occupied the building, until June 19, when the RCMP deployed tear gas and batons to forcibly remove the protesters. The Post Office remained open throughout these events; it continues to mark an important moment in local labour history and also connects our city to the national arc of the Depression era.
Quote:
Actions
We strongly encourage the citizens of Vancouver to:

Write to your Member of Parliament to express that Public Works & Government Services Canada should not pursue the addition of a large tower at Sinclair Centre. Instead, work should be undertaken to retain and upgrade Sinclair Centre, including conservation of the facades and efforts to attract more tenants to this unique federal government heritage complex.
Write to Mayor and Council to let them know your concerns about the rezoning proposal for increased density, height and the potential tower addition to Sinclair Centre

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 12:14 AM

Which is why three of the four buildings' exteriors will be kept intact. The only one being fully demo'd is the Federal Building, which came 20+ years after the others and isn't as pleasant to look at.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Both are still coming, whether or not they make a press statement about it.
If it's not within your lifetime, it is not happening.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
If it's not within your lifetime, it is not happening.
Then since I don't expect to die within the next 5-20 years, I guess it's happening. It'll certainly be here sooner than the QE viewcone removal or a WCE expansion.

Last edited by Migrant_Coconut; Feb 16, 2024 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 1:13 AM

How about we protect what little heritage we have left and transfer the air rights to the redevelopment of Waterfront Station. Both sites involve federal lands no? Imagine saving and renewing the heritage at Sinclair Centre while also building a new signature tallest building for the city. Obviously this process would be complicated if at all feasible but I think we need to be a little more creative here than just stacking a bunch of pallets and cardboard on top Sinclair Centre and calling it a day.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
How about we protect what little heritage we have left and transfer the air rights to the redevelopment of Waterfront Station. Both sites involve federal lands no? Imagine saving and renewing the heritage at Sinclair Centre while also building a new signature tallest building for the city. Obviously this process would be complicated if at all feasible but I think we need to be a little more creative here than just stacking a bunch of pallets and cardboard on top Sinclair Centre and calling it a day.
No. Cadillac Fairview own the station, and Carrera Management own the tracks beyond it. The Feds are stuck with the Sinclair Centre (unless they write it off and give it to the First Nations) so they're making the best of that situation.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 1:50 AM

The port lands are federally managed, not owned.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 4:28 AM

Where was the outrage when the Eaton or Canada Post or Commodore redevelopment was pitched? This is a weird place to draw the line over "protecting heritage" - especially because almost nothing is lost here.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Where was the outrage when the Eaton or Canada Post or Commodore redevelopment was pitched? This is a weird place to draw the line over "protecting heritage" - especially because almost nothing is lost here.
Sorry, but I have to disagree, at least to a large extent. The cornerstone of the Sinclair Centre is, of course, the old Post office tower, added to by the adjoining Winch Building, then the two in the back, on the north side. And this may be blunt, so excuse me, but IMHO those renders of the first proposed redevelopment seem designed by someone who hates Vancouver, and wants to sabotage what remains of the aesthetic aspects of the city.
Could there not be a 'density trade' to keep it intact, as is, with perhaps some subtle modernisation, OR IF THERE HAS TO BE A TOWER, could it not be something elegant and graceful. I like this building from Oklahoma City. I'm not advocating a duplicate, but just giving an example of crafted, sleek elegance.

The Devon Tower, Oklahoma City.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Sorry, but I have to disagree, at least to a large extent. The cornerstone of the Sinclair Centre is, of course, the old Post office tower, added to by the adjoining Winch Building, then the two in the back, on the north side. And this may be blunt, so excuse me, but IMHO those renders of the first proposed redevelopment seem designed by someone who hates Vancouver, and wants to sabotage what remains of the aesthetic aspects of the city.
Could there not be a 'density trade' to keep it intact, as is, with perhaps some subtle modernisation, OR IF THERE HAS TO BE A TOWER, could it not be something elegant and graceful. I like this building from Oklahoma City. I'm not advocating a duplicate, but just giving an example of crafted, sleek elegance.
There can't be a density trade, because it's a Federal site that they can't sell (without giving all the money away) so they're consolidating many of the Federal offices onto the one site, in a single building.

It's required to be a net zero building in terms of energy, both for use and for construction which is why they've shown a hybrid wood-frame tower (one of the biggest proposed in the world so far). That's not (yet) a finalized design, but the first suggestion of what might be built. It will undoubtedly change. Your example would be probably be quite far from net zero.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
There can't be a density trade, because it's a Federal site that they can't sell (without giving all the money away) so they're consolidating many of the Federal offices onto the one site, in a single building.

It's required to be a net zero building in terms of energy, both for use and for construction which is why they've shown a hybrid wood-frame tower (one of the biggest proposed in the world so far). That's not (yet) a finalized design, but the first suggestion of what might be built. It will undoubtedly change. Your example would be probably be quite far from net zero.

Yeah, cast elegance to the wind; it's bad for the environment and costs too much anyway. (I'm just speaking rhetorically here, nothing personal) But however eco-trendy the design may be it is sort of a "Swiss Family Robinson Brutalist Overpowering Monstrosity." They can tweak it all they want; bet your bottom dollar the final design will be totally out of keeping with The Sinclair Centre, and become a laughing stock. I am sorry for saying this, but I cannot help myself, this time.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 6:06 PM

Quote:
It's required to be a net zero building in terms of energy, both for use and for construction
that isnt a real requirement. that is a self-imposed chopping your hand off move. the heritage is more important than that. build some eco buildings with a clean slate somewhere else to offset it. dont forever ruin the heritage aspect of this block for no reason.

a real requirement is something like "it cant be unsafe."

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
That would make much better sense.

Quote:
Eaton Centre? If I was around when they decided to wreck the first Hotel Vancouver, I would fight tooth and nail to save it. As a matter of fact, I am also against the Commodore redevelopment.
As for the Post, you simply can't compare a warehouse with beautiful masterpieces like the four heritage buildings at the current Sinclair centre.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 9:03 PM

Quote:
What about this: It needs to have rocket boosters in case the world is coming to an end and it can safely fly off to a distant planet.

You can't pile so many current standards on heritage buildings.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 11:16 PM

Quote:
What about this: It needs to have rocket boosters in case the world is coming to an end and it can safely fly off to a distant planet.

Rocket boosters aren't government policy. Net zero is.

Clearly the federal government can apply current standards on heritage buildings - you just don't like what that might look like. Their alternative here is to demolish the heritage buildings and start with a vacant site. The government has chosen not to follow that route - but they could do, without consulting the City, or involving anybody else.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Eaton Centre? If I was around when they decided to wreck the first Hotel Vancouver, I would fight tooth and nail to save it. As a matter of fact, I am also against the Commodore redevelopment.
As for the Post, you simply can't compare a warehouse with beautiful masterpieces like the four heritage buildings at the current Sinclair centre.
Okay, NIMBY.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 11:30 PM

Quote:

Only problem is that there's not going to be any pushback since it's pushing current standards that the government of the day wants to promote. Your only hope for the project stalling are federal workers pushing for work from home.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Okay, NIMBY.
.Excuse my chiming in here, Migrant, but I don't think that this is a case of NIMBYism. The buildings comprising The Sinclair Centre are unique to Vancouver, all the more so as they are clustered together into an entire heritage block, the old Post Office tower being the "point culminant" in terms of design interest. This is, IMHO, not just another "adding office space" or "expanding and improving for a better Sinclair Centre," no. I think these buildings deserve to be treated with respect, and left alone. Please please no drowning them out with tinker-toy skyscrapers that are going to look more ridiculous and homely than anything else.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Only problem is that there's not going to be any pushback since it's pushing current standards that the government of the day wants to promote. Your only hope for the project stalling are federal workers pushing for work from home.
Isn't that already happening since the days of COVID restrictions? In fact, office vacancy in downtown Vancouver is at its all-time-high.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 2:37 AM

Vancouver's occupancy rate is 8.6 percent, against a national average of 14+; another ~6% would be nice to have when it starts shrinking again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver