HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 7:05 PM
-

Never realized until reading the zoning application that Walk-ons/Happys is applying to put a third concept into the buildings called The Roux House. It would be on the second floor of walk ons and be a live music venue. The other thing would be the installation of the Bar Taps on the external of the building too. So Im guessing you just walk up to the beer tap swipe your credit card and ID and pour some beer!

http://cityofno.granicus.com/MetaVie...meta_id=130235

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
The new signage is being installed above the 4 main entrance ways of the Superdome.
I love that pavement pattern at Champion's Square. I think even some "Copacana-ish or Ipanema-ish" style sidewalks would look nice around the CBD and more modern areas of the city.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
According to this article from WWL, the city will spend $286-million next year for capital projects/ rebuilding. This includes finally doing something with the Municipal Auditorium. Anyone know what the plan could be? I'm still dreaming of a movie theater in conjunction with the new Iberville Projects.

http://www.wwltv.com/home/proposed20...132016683.html
Also Landrieu is pushing to have HDLC, Vieux Carre Commission, and City Planning consolidated into one. I'm sure that is some kind of response to the 1031 Canal debacle, but I'm skeptical that really would make it better.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchTwins View Post
Also Landrieu is pushing to have HDLC, Vieux Carre Commission, and City Planning consolidated into one. I'm sure that is some kind of response to the 1031 Canal debacle, but I'm skeptical that really would make it better.
Don't know enough about how this works, but I think the VCC is getting its funding cut by 70%, which is probably a middle finger from the administration but might also have the practical effect that they end up being a less powerful entity.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 4:21 PM

Does anybody have any idea what's really going on at Avondale?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 5:17 PM

Building off of Claiborne

Has anyone noticed the 4-5 story structure going up on the lake side of claiborne between Milan and General Taylor?

I'm assuming it's apartments, but why would anyone build that type of density in that neighborhood?

I can't see a mixed income development working there because they'd have trouble filling the market rate apartments.

Also, where is everyone planning to watch the Nov. 20th implosion of the grand palace hotel from?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 5:30 PM

Implosion / Claiborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueingreen View Post
Has anyone noticed the 4-5 story structure going up on the lake side of claiborne between Milan and General Taylor?

I'm assuming it's apartments, but why would anyone build that type of density in that neighborhood?

I can't see a mixed income development working there because they'd have trouble filling the market rate apartments.

Also, where is everyone planning to watch the Nov. 20th implosion of the grand palace hotel from?
I was under the impression (from memory) that that building on Claiborne is related to the renovation of the old funeral home into office space. I figure it's additional, connected space. I could be wrong.

As for the implosion...I'm too low in Place St. Charles to see over the Tulane building (tidewater) so I'm not sure.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 6:38 PM
-

For me I want to get as close as they allow. I do have friends that live at Krauss so their rooftop deck could be a good idea.

I think the main point of consolidating all the staff of the VCC , HDLC and City Planning was to be more efficient and also share resources. There is no reason the clerical work for these three entities cant be shared. My friend who works at the HDLC complains they dont even have a receptionist for their office and so if they consolidate that would seem to benefit all the agencies involved. I think this could be a real positive.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 6:58 PM

Hyatt/Audubon Hotel

Just checked out the Hyatt. Wonderful addition to the city. Very modern and nicely done inside. Restaurant and sports bar were packed. They have walkways to both the Entergy building and the office building on the other side, so I am sure many of those workers will pop into the Hyatt for lunch and drinks after work.

In sad news, the Audubon Hotel on St. Charles now has a for sale sign up. I was really hoping renovations would begin when they put the "Thank You Mayor" sign up.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 7:27 PM
-

That Audubon Hotel building will never happen.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 8:04 PM

Superdome from on top of the Hyatt

Doesn't seem to post as an image, because there's an asterisk in the URL.

http://media.wwltv.com/images/477*43...e+10-19-11.jpg

Source

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 1:55 AM

Audubon Hotel

Disappointed about the Audubon--anybody specifically know why the project was dropped?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 2:23 PM

Superdome Roof

How often is the roof going to need cleaning? It seems that they've washed it at least twice. Does the white reflect sunlight and reduce energy cost or something?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 2:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-chop View Post
How often is the roof going to need cleaning? It seems that they've washed it at least twice. Does the white reflect sunlight and reduce energy cost or something?
The roof needs cleaning in its current state once a year. However, Doug Thornton said that once the current Saints season ends they will be adding something onto the entire roof that should seriously extend the timeframe between cleanings! Lets hope that solves the problem since it is much nicer looking with a white roof!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 5:07 PM

Costco

http://uptownmessenger.com/2011/10/c...ove-neighbors/

Quote:
Costco plans receive warm reception from Hollygrove neighbors

Over the past six years, the Carrollton-Hollygrove Community Development Corporation has been involved in countless meetings focused on the fate of the large empty lot on South Carrollton near the interstate.

On Wednesday evening, surrounded by drawings and renderings of the Costco Wholesale store proposed for the site, CDC member Joe Sherman told store officials he has high hopes for their plans....

- MulvannyG2 Architecture

YAAAAY

Somewhat related...I've been a Sam's member "all my life" (parents, now me)...Does anyone have a preference or opinion between the two? I've never been to a Costco.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 6:23 PM
-

Ill say it this way:

Costco is to Sams what Target is to Wal Mart.

Heres a new little music venue planned for Freret Street called the Sunhouse Nola

http://sunhousenola.wordpress.com/

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 7:05 PM

Something I'm wondering about with this whole Costco thing is the traffic on that thru street that carries the interchange off-ramp. Also, do they REALLY need that much parking? I know it's generally better to overbuild, but it would seem they could at least place some small retail upfront to better disguise the Carrollton streetscape, just as has been done further up the street and is planned for the Winn-Dixie project.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 8:18 PM
-

i would like some smaller retail upfront as well, but a Costco store is pretty big and being right next to the interstate there isnt much pedestrian activity anyway.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Something I'm wondering about with this whole Costco thing is the traffic on that thru street that carries the interchange off-ramp. Also, do they REALLY need that much parking? I know it's generally better to overbuild, but it would seem they could at least place some small retail upfront to better disguise the Carrollton streetscape, just as has been done further up the street and is planned for the Winn-Dixie project.
I agree with you about Dublin St -- I haven't read anything about reconfiguring the I-10 westbound to Carrollton southbound off ramp. The article mentions that all four lanes of Dublin St might be turned one way to help accommodate traffic, but does this mean it will accommodate traffic coming from I-10 onto a major thoroughfare? This means customers who parked in the overflow lot have to cross this busy street.

Personally I feel that part or all of the quadrant lot closest to Carrollton (and right next to I-10) should be used to loop the I-10 off ramp back onto Carrollton -- rather than weaving through a neighborhood as it currently does, or through a major shopping center.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 8:49 PM

Rampart Streetcar Line

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Groups-pus...132201253.html

The debate continues about tracks in the neutral ground vs. the street. I favor the neutral ground, but this article suggests that the only way to do it is by reducing 1 lane of vehicle traffic. I don't know if that's true, but after seeing the video, I'm not as dead-opposed to it anymore. After all, St. Charles and Carrollton are 1 lane for many miles and that seems to work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations