HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 12:44 AM

there's actually a lot of great renderings and pictures on their website...
like these;

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Three colour palettes to choose from:
• Light colour scheme – “Vancouver”
• Medium colour scheme – “Canada”
• Dark colour scheme – “World”
so cheesy, other than that this project is awesome

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 5:09 PM

at last count, there were 7 cranes up..

photos from www.flickr.com

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 12:19 AM

^Impressive.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 6:16 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Even more impressive is that even with starting at 450K there are already people lined up today (Monday) for sales that don't start until Thrusday for the VIPs.

Acutally I just heard that they starting lining up on Saturday in the huge downpours. Oh well, while I really like this development I won't be investing in it as I feel there are better bang for your bucks out there, but if I was looking for a home then this might hit the spot.

Last edited by jlousa; Oct 22, 2007 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 1:13 AM

additional photo from an article in saturday's sun

thought this was interesting:

"The residences will go to the Olympics with their kitchens sealed off and their hardwood floors protected."

so athletes won't have access to a kitchen. that will be weird for those staying in the suites. i know it's only 2 weeks but still -
i wonder how they will protect the floors? i guess new owners will have to contend with used toilets too.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 1:19 AM

I think that the athletes should be allowed to use the kitchens, hardwood floors, etc, but would be forced to cover any extensive damage they cause.

I really don't think the residents would have a problem with a used kitchen and floors when they've only been used for 2 weeks. just like buying your first house, someone else has certainly used it.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 2:25 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

This is so exciting! Can't wait to visit Vancouver for the Olympics... but its quite a wait.

Very cool waterfront design. What kind of transport links to downtown are there going to be? Seabus?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
additional photo from an article in saturday's sun

thought this was interesting:

"The residences will go to the Olympics with their kitchens sealed off and their hardwood floors protected."

so athletes won't have access to a kitchen. that will be weird for those staying in the suites. i know it's only 2 weeks but still -
i wonder how they will protect the floors? i guess new owners will have to contend with used toilets too.
no kitchens and hardwood floors protected? that's quite weird, they should have access to everything. and i agree, if they do damage their suite they should pay.

i can just see it now...some rowdy Americans are playing football in the living room. one guy flies into the air to catch the ball, and he crashes into a wall. the guy that threw the ball now sees a kitchen through the gaping hole, and yells out "holy fuck!". 24 hours later, everyone in the village does the same thing.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 3:38 AM

I have a hard time imagining Finnish cross-country skiers making a diving catch through a wall for a football, just so they can access a kitchen.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
I have a hard time imagining Finnish cross-country skiers making a diving catch through a wall for a football, just so they can access a kitchen.
i was a volunteer two years ago for the Team Services department at the Pacific Coliseum and GM Place for the World Junior Hockey Championships. i had interaction with all of the teams there, including Team Canada's. I even had access to every team's change rooms, and even their game jerseys - which i washed. I did their laundry, gave them food, drinks....did whatever they asked from me. I also had to pick up their pucks after they had practiced, and after they had warmed up for a game....so i had to go out with others on the ice in front of thousands, picking up pucks. That last part wasn't too enjoyable.

It was the best experience of my life [and a bit arousing too watching them change and work out].

But that's besides the point , the Fins and Latvian's (puny people btw) were all quite active with frisbees and soccer balls.

and of course, i watched many of the games for free - at the team benches...including the finals at GM Place - behind Sutter.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 4:42 AM

Photos at sunset, October 22nd

Source: My Photo ( SFUVancouver in SSP | Vancouverite in SSC)

I took these in the midst of a breathtaking, sudden fall sunset today. The light faded moments after I snapped the last photo. In order to capture the light I ran past the sales centre for the Olympic Village and there were people camped out in line in order to buy the condos and townhouses and they don’t even go on sale for five more days.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 5:26 AM

impressive shots
look out, dubai!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 5:43 AM

^ holy crap, those are amazing...thanks! good enough for my wallpaper!

Quote:
I took these in the midst of a breathtaking, sudden fall sunset today. The light faded moments after I snapped the last photo. In order to capture the light I ran past the sales centre for the Olympic Village and there were people camped out in line in order to buy the condos and townhouses and they don’t even go on sale for five more days.
you ran all the way there to take these pics? you should go into the paparazzi business.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 6:44 AM

i can't believe ppl are already camping out, either they have no life or they must be really desparate.

anyways can anyone enlighten me if there are separate phases for the buildings. the site only shows two buildings up for grabs at the moment.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 3:23 PM
Dreaming in Colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
A contractor told me that temp bath fixtures were being put in, and then being replaced after the athletes leave...

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
i was a volunteer two years ago for the Team Services department at the Pacific Coliseum and GM Place for the World Junior Hockey Championships. i had interaction with all of the teams there, including Team Canada's. I even had access to every team's change rooms, and even their game jerseys - which i washed. I did their laundry, gave them food, drinks....did whatever they asked from me. I also had to pick up their pucks after they had practiced, and after they had warmed up for a game....so i had to go out with others on the ice in front of thousands, picking up pucks. That last part wasn't too enjoyable.

It was the best experience of my life [and a bit arousing too watching them change and work out].
***WAY*** too much information.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 4:55 PM
Dig-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
That's FUNNY;
Naked hockey player or a bag of cement....decisions, decisions.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murman View Post
A contractor told me that temp bath fixtures were being put in, and then being replaced after the athletes leave...
I think the buildings will operate as dormitories during the games with a central eating hall somewhere in the village - my guess is the Urban Fare space?

The building will be reconfigured - new walls, etc. after the games. There should be a substantial period after the games to do that work before occupancy.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I think the buildings will operate as dormitories during the games with a central eating hall somewhere in the village - my guess is the Urban Fare space?

The building will be reconfigured - new walls, etc. after the games. There should be a substantial period after the games to do that work before occupancy.
I heard somewhere the dining hall is the new community centre.

And from the bid book:

Quote:
VANCOUVER VILLAGE
The Vancouver Village will have one main dining hall, consisting of 2,200m2 inclusive of seating space, storage and
kitchens,
which will seat approximately 750 people at any one time.

WHISTLER VILLAGE
The Whistler Village will have one main dining hall, consisting of 1,890 m2 inclusive of seating space, storage and
kitchens,
which will seat approximately 680 people at any one time.

Don't forget that the Vancouver Village will house 2,100 athletes and their coaches. While the Whistler Village will house 2,400 athletes and their coaches....probably more at Whistler since the IOC asked VANOC to add in 800-units to the Whistler Village.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver