HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 12:22 AM

In a way i am dissapointed that they are MOVING the art gallery. I understand that they need much more space and all, but the current location/building is amazing and perfect for this use. I would have liked to see the Gallery expanded over Robson Square. I find it a useless use of space for what it is. They could fit the needed square footage there if they really wanted.

Hopefully the new tenants of the current building will have something good to go in the Art Galleries place. I hope (and please dont take this the wrong way) that it wont be an aboriginal art museum.

I dont understand why there is so much in Vancouver anyway. I understand that there should be some and i quite like it, but people have to understand that this is not what our city is about. We are a city of over 2 million and the percentage of aboriginal peoples is what 1? 2? percent? When people look at Vancouver they should se what we really are, a wonderful, modern, cosmopolitan, metropolis. Its like at the closing ceremonies of the Turin Olympics in 2006. Our presentation portrayed Vancouver as an aboriginal city, which we are not. I recently went on a trip to Florida and believe me some people there (who really had no idea abot the world around them) thought that in Vancouver we live in longhouses, huts etc. I understand that this is not the norm for people to think but when you see this on TV (turin closing ceremonies) and you are one of those people that isnt really interested in the world outside from your own, this is what people see Vancovuer as.

As I said earlier I have no issues at all with aboriginal anything, and I like most of the art that there is around Vancouver....but I think that we must keep this to a minimum, as this is not what Vancovuer is.

(especially because that in 20 years the majority of people in Vancouver will be of Asian descent.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 12:36 AM

^^i agree with you!! enough with the aboriginal stuff. ie the airport ugh its like an aboriginal gift shop exploded in there.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 12:50 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikw View Post
In a way i am dissapointed that they are MOVING the art gallery. I understand that they need much more space and all, but the current location/building is amazing and perfect for this use. I would have liked to see the Gallery expanded over Robson Square. I find it a useless use of space for what it is. They could fit the needed square footage there if they really wanted.

Hopefully the new tenants of the current building will have something good to go in the Art Galleries place. I hope (and please dont take this the wrong way) that it wont be an aboriginal art museum.

I dont understand why there is so much in Vancouver anyway. I understand that there should be some and i quite like it, but people have to understand that this is not what our city is about. We are a city of over 2 million and the percentage of aboriginal peoples is what 1? 2? percent? When people look at Vancouver they should se what we really are, a wonderful, modern, cosmopolitan, metropolis. Its like at the closing ceremonies of the Turin Olympics in 2006. Our presentation portrayed Vancouver as an aboriginal city, which we are not. I recently went on a trip to Florida and believe me some people there (who really had no idea abot the world around them) thought that in Vancouver we live in longhouses, huts etc. I understand that this is not the norm for people to think but when you see this on TV (turin closing ceremonies) and you are one of those people that isnt really interested in the world outside from your own, this is what people see Vancovuer as.

As I said earlier I have no issues at all with aboriginal anything, and I like most of the art that there is around Vancouver....but I think that we must keep this to a minimum, as this is not what Vancovuer is.

(especially because that in 20 years the majority of people in Vancouver will be of Asian descent.
I didn't think there were that many first nations art museums. The only one I can think of, and it's more of an artifact museum, is the Museum of Anthropology. There's touristy stores selling native art here and there, but that doesn't count. A dedicated first nation art museum, I can't think of any. It's a niche area, very popular with people around the world, and probably not enough great native artists to fill the demand. It definitily deserves a place here.

Anyway, good to here the Vancouver Art Gallery will be in a larger building. Probably still doesn't even come close to displaying all the art they have though.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikw View Post

Personally, I don't have any problem with it being an aboriginal art gallery....though I would prefer it being the new home of the National Portrait Gallery.

But I do agree with you with regards to the Torino closing ceremony segment, and perhaps how we will be portrayed in the Opening/Closing Ceremonies in two years. I do think there should be an aboriginal segment that beautifully ties in with everything else, like what Sydney did, but not 2-hours of "ai ya ai ya ai ya ai ya" throat singing.

Anyway, the reason why the Art Gallery really wants to move out is that the courthouse building configuration is quite odd for exhibits...and even if they built an expansion there, still not enough space.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 12:58 AM
Cheers!

There should be a small segment in the ceremonies, that should be enough.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 12:59 AM

Yeah, if the old court house present VAG does become an aboriginal or asian museum (or the local Vancouver museum), it would probably draw more tourists than, say, a traditional portrait gallery or museum of contemporary art that could be in any city. I think that would be the reason for a central location - and the fact that it's existing space that would readily accommodate that type of facility without a huge upfront capital budget.
As for the VAG as it is, I very rarely go in there despite its current central location, and same would apply to an aboriginal or asian museum on the site. I never did make it down to see Storyeum. I haven't been in the Vancouver Museum since the mid 1970s.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 1:00 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
^^i agree with you!! enough with the aboriginal stuff. ie the airport ugh its like an aboriginal gift shop exploded in there.
That's what the tourists go for apparently.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
There should be a small segment in the ceremonies, that should be enough.
I agree, but my fear is that you're gonna see a hell lot more of that. But with Atkins on board, as we all know he directed the Sydney ceremonies and he beautifully integrated a 15-minute aboriginal segment into "Australia's story":

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1rvisj2yPg
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfsEVZuxyjU

With the airport, I actually like the aboriginal art. It makes the airport unique and different from all the others.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 1:41 AM

Think big and the world will come
Planning a new Vancouver Art Gallery is a rare opportunity to put the city on the international map

Miro Cernetig, Vancouver Sun
Published: Friday, March 07, 2008

Do we think small, and save some money, or take a risk on creating a building the world will come to see? That's the question British Columbians now face with the decision to build a new Vancouver Art Gallery.

The answer should be a no-brainer. It's time for this young city, and the province, to open up its collective wallet and build a glamour building, an architectural statement that will put the city on the cultural map both nationally and internationally.

We should be aiming for something as significant as the Guggenheim in Bilbao, or the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, or the Sydney opera house.

These places, and many more, are what's known as destination architecture. They are edifices that are pieces of art unto themselves. They create their own tourism economies, attract major exhibitions and enhance the local arts.

Just such a glamour building -- which would cost upwards of $400 million -- appears to be what Premier Gordon Campbell is aiming for. While his decision Thursday to give the Vancouver Art Gallery $50-million to start looking for a new location is only a down payment on the cost of such an institution, the government's intent is that the money be used to hold an international architectural competition, to find a striking design for the new gallery. It's also meant to be the seed money to kick-start a multi-year fundraising drive.

"I'm sure they want to do a significant gallery," said Campbell, who has been supporting the idea for years. "It's really part of moving into a new phase as a city. This could easily become a symbol of the city around the world . . . . I think we have to raise our sights."

Even better is the prospect that this new institution will anchor a true cultural precinct for Vancouver, a city that has long relied on its geographical beauty to hide the reality that it is slow to embrace the arts.

One idea, the preferred, is that the new gallery should be built on the site of the old Greyhound bus terminal, not far from the Queen Elizabeth Theatre, the Vancouver PlayHouse, the central library and the CBC headquarters.

A fallback would be revamping the old Canada Post office, similar to the Tate Modern Museum in London. A less likely location, but still worth considering, is the waterfront of False Creek, not far from the silver Expo 86 ball. That would put the art gallery near a revamped BC Place Stadium, which will be part of a major real-estate development that will revive what is now a dead zone in the heart of the city.

Wherever the new art gallery goes, what it all means is Vancouver is about to see the biggest architectural transformation since the development of the Expo lands in the late 1980s and Coal Harbour in the late 1990s.

It's an exciting prospect. But it's a transformation that also needs to involve the public: We need to guard against the sort of secrecy that surrounded the attempt to build a roof over Robson Square and stay away from the committee-think that turned our $1-billion convention centre into a ho-hum glass box that will never make a postcard.

Just as important as the outside of our new art gallery, though, is what goes on inside. The idea is to at least double the square footage of the current art gallery to about 320,000 square feet. It will display B.C.'s traditional artists, but the collection would also see an expansion of works from aboriginal artists and contemporary stars, such as the internationally renowned photorealist Jeff Wall, whose pieces are generally too big -- and too expensive -- for the current gallery.

It's also now time to start thinking about what to do with the old art gallery, a landmark building that needs to be carefully preserved.

I'll bet the University of B.C., cognizant of Simon Fraser University's success in building a downtown campus, has its eye on moving in. But the smarter thing would be to use that landmark to bridge the cultural divide that still exists between this city's Asian and non-Asian communities: Turn the emptied art gallery into an Asia-Pacific museum and arts centre.

That would bring our Asia-Pacific reality into the heart of the city. With the right sort of curator, we could better brand Vancouver as an Asia-Pacific hub.

Now, for the really big question. How do we pay for all of this?

The reality is that this major building won't get underway until long after the 2010 Olympics are over. By then, we might have a tighter economy, perhaps even a new premier less enamoured of such a cultural megaproject.

So if this is going to happen, the fundraising needs to be a broad effort that begins now.

Campbell says he'll be going to the federal government for a share, since the intent is to create a national institution for all Canadians. The City of Vancouver is going to have to ante up, too, likely by handing over the land.

But there's also going to be a major push for private-sector investment. Those involved in discussions believe that a major part of the budget may come from building commercial office space, possibly a hotel and condos around a new gallery.

But British Columbians and other Canadians -- particularly the wealthiest -- are going to be asked to channel their philanthropic side. Campbell put it best: "I think there will be philanthropists from Canada, and internationally, who will step up."

He'll need to be right on that if this dream is to become a reality without leaving a very big bill for the taxpayer.

mcernetig@png.canwest.com

Building's future up in the air
As the Vancouver Art Gallery starts looking for a new home with a $50 million grant, most cultural mavens hope the heritage space in the heart of downtown remains part of the city's arts scene

Doug Ward, Vancouver Sun
Published: Friday, March 07, 2008

You could turn it into a giant Starbucks. Or a bordello if prostitution is legalized.

Or how about going back to the the future and using it as a court house.

You get plenty of quips when you talk to cultural mavens about the fate of the heritage building that currently houses Vancouver Art Gallery.

But most agree that the history, location and structure of the building adjacent to Robson Square make it a natural site for another museum or gallery.

"I think the best idea is to maintain it for museum purposes," said Michael Audain, a developer, art collector and chair of the Vancouver Art Gallery Foundation.

"It's a marvellous location and one of the most important buildings in the city. And the building's plaza has been active as a city square for demonstrations and celebrations for generations."

Bob Rennie, condo developer and art collector, said that "I think it should stay as a cultural property. We have to respect the history of that building."

Don Luxton of Heritage Vancouver said the building is "purpose-built for an art gallery and it would be expensive to turn it into another use."

"It's hard for me to comment," said VAG director Kathleen Bartels, when asked about the building's fate.

"It would be nice for some kind of cultural presence here but it won't be our decision."

The heritage stone building on Hornby Street has housed the VAG since 1983 after extensive renovations were done by architect Arthur Erickson.

The fate of the site will be determined by the provincial government, which owns the building, and the city of Vancouver, which leases it.

The building's future use could hinge on the strategic plan -- officially called the "Facilities Priorities Plan" -- being developed by the city for city-owned or city-leased cultural facilities, including the existing VAG building.

VAG director Bartels said the question of the site's future is one asked on a regular basis.

"That decision won't be the gallery's. It'll be the decision of the province. They own the building and they own the land. I know there are several competing interests -- I don't even know who they are."

Bartels said the city and the province are "getting calls on a regular basis ... from people who would like to take over the space."

Premier Gordon Campbell said that the building could remain a gallery.

"People have talked about it as potentially an aboriginal art gallery. Some people have talked about it as a potential Asia Pacific gallery."

The Vancouver Museum is also near the top of most observers' list of institutions that could make the stone building a home.

The Vancouver Museum currently resides in cramped and somewhat obscure quarters in Vanier Park.

Museum director Nancy Noble said that the facility has long considered moving to a new location in order to get more street and tourist traffic and more space for its collection.

The museum's future is one of the questions being discussed in the city of Vancouver's cultural strategic plan process, she added.

Noble said that a museum or gallery would be a "natural fit" for the VAG site.

"But I don't think there's any guarantee that if we wanted it (the VAG site) that we would get it."

dward@png.canwest.com

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 2:12 AM

the aboriginal art idea is a positive one i think. what does a majority asian population have to do with it? asian people cancel out the importance of the indigenous culture?? on a side note, aboriginal people are originally asiatic anyways.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 2:35 AM

On second thought, my guess is that tourists from China or Japan won't be pouring off the tour buses to see an Asia-Pacific Museum - go with either the Aboriginal Museum or the Vancouver Museum.
An Aboriginal Museum would work in the old Vancouver Museum location under the planetarium's roof shaped like an aboriginal hat - but it could suffer due to Kits Point NIMBYism (a ban on tour buses)

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
but it could suffer due to Kits Point NIMBYism (a ban on tour buses)
wtf???

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 2:44 AM

I like how the article says we should aim for something huge and significant, and then mentions that it might end up going in a revamped post office...the false creek idea is cool, but i don't know what they have in mind...like where the plaza of nations was?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 4:04 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
On second thought, my guess is that tourists from China or Japan won't be pouring off the tour buses to see an Asia-Pacific Museum - go with either the Aboriginal Museum or the Vancouver Museum.
An Aboriginal Museum would work in the old Vancouver Museum location under the planetarium's roof shaped like an aboriginal hat - but it could suffer due to Kits Point NIMBYism (a ban on tour buses)
The streetcar should fix that

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
wtf???
There is an existing ban on tour buses to Kits Point because the neighbourhood group complained.
That's why the Maritime Museum, the planetarium and the Vancouver Museum have such low attendance and require big subsidies from the City. As an "enclave" it's worse than the Arbutus corridor.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 4:38 AM

Quote:
There is an existing ban on tour buses to Kits Point because the neighbourhood group complained.
That's why the Maritime Museum, the planetarium and the Vancouver Museum have such low attendance and require big subsidies from the City. As an "enclave" it's worse than the Arbutus corridor.
That's just really disturbing to know.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 7:19 AM
Vancouver Moderator

This is disturbing, just as disturbing as the Main Street Science World SkyTrain slowdowns...

Jesus... people these days.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
This is disturbing, just as disturbing as the Main Street Science World SkyTrain slowdowns...

Jesus... people these days.
Well, the Main Street noise issue does have some merit.....it's a real complaint, even though SkyTrain was there before the condo towers were.

But this Kits thing is just retarded....I'm amazed that the City actually bowed down to these NIMBY's.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 12:51 AM

Let's think beyond "local"

None of the suggestions (Asia-Pacific Museum, Aboriginal Museum, or the Vancouver Museum) is an inspired choice. Here is a rare opportunity to utilize one of the most valuable and beautiful buildings in all of downtown Vancouver in an innovative way.

Be honest: if you are visiting, say, Portland, Oregon, what really are the chances of you visiting the Portland Museum? (I’m picking a city similar in size to Vancouver) Also, what are the chances of you visiting it again the following year?
I am also not sure just how many exciting and different Asia-Pacific Museum exhibitions we can have in a year, pulling in both the repeat and new visitors, year after year. The same goes for the Aboriginal Museum.

The point is, let’s stop thinking so “local.” Would New York City be giving their best space to the “Museum of the City of New York”? (yes, they have one and how many people have visited it?) Let’s instead ponder how we can catapult Vancouver into the international scene.

Here’s just one idea.

How about an “art, design and cultural” center that is not tied to a theme or a locale or an ethnic group? I’m thinking a bit like London’s Victoria and Albert Museum where they have such a wide range of exhibits from architectural innovations to Kylie Minogue’s wardrobe collection.
Let’s also open up the space for public usage from time to time. The centre staircase would a perfect backdrop for the Vancouver Fashion Week (or BC Fashion Week, if they would ever come to their senses and unite). How about the gala opening for the International Film Festival?

Possibilities are endless.

Let’s imagine together how we can attract both the world visitors and ourselves to this space for generations to come.

What tickles your fancy?

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 5:32 PM

If I read this correctly, they will build the new VAG on the site where Edgewater Casino is.

http://www.bcplacestadium.com/newsre...ace_Future.pdf

http://www.bcplacestadium.com/newsre...Place_2015.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver