HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 3:25 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

holy crap! I hope you're okay Block.

Go to one of those ambulance chasers and sue his ass. Ross & McBride, Lamond, or anyone.

I say that because it's almost impossible to be criminally responsible for anyone kind of personal injury unless the driver was drunk. I believe civil action is the only way to get drivers to care about others when behind the wheel. Not just - loss wages, - cost of care, and bullcrap like that that adds up to few thousand bucks, we need serious punitave damages awarded to people like you hit by idiot drivers. Hurt irresponsibility where it really hurts them -- their wallets.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 3:30 PM
Closed account

Jeez, Block. You OK?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 3:48 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by block43 View Post
I was just hit by a car on one of the one ways proposed to be two way on my walk to work today. The driver didn't look the otherway and turned right into me.
Yikes! I really hope you're ok.

This happens way too often downtown, and usually involves cabs. They are the worst drivers in this city.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 3:51 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm okay I pushed myself away off of his hood. Can't wait for some of these two way conversions so drivers actually look the other way.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 1:40 PM

Coleen Gleeson's Letter to the Editor in today's Spec.

Re: 'City shifts into drive on 2-way streets' (Aug. 8)

It looks as though the geniuses at city hall are going to go ahead with more two-way street conversions in spite of the pollution from stalled traffic, the danger of trying to cross in two-way traffic and bus drivers whom I have polled who hate the change to two-way.

It is interesting to note that in the same article it is stated, "With council's sign-off, city staff will also review the conversions already done on the south legs of James and John streets to see if they can improve traffic flow."

What a novel idea.

I have walked James Street from Bayfront Park to the farmers' market and passed the same bus three times -- and I need a knee replacement.

I also walk past all those attractive boarded up storefronts, the Tivoli site and our glorious Lister Block -- all great testimonies to the improvements that the two-way conversions have wrought.

Perhaps, someone should point out to Coleen that "all those attractive boarded up storefronts, the Tivoli site and our glorius Lister Block" occured during the period when the road was one-way????

Geez, some people...............

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 1:47 PM
Closed account

I love the statement "ALL those attractive boarded-up storefronts".
She needs to walk from St. Joes to LIUNA Station and count the total number of storefronts and then count the total number that are boarded up. She'll find that 'all' those storefronts are hardly any.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 2:46 PM
Closed account

I love how she thinks stalled cars pollute?
Last time I checked, stalled cars are off... no exhaust, no pollution.
Perhaps Ms Gleeson should learn to use her manual vehicle before getting on streets with lights & stop signs, then she wouldn't be stalling.

But I bet she doesn't give an F about the pollution from her stalled veh when she has to stop-n-go... and stop and go and stop and go... while waiting for her XLRG Dbl Dbl from Tims!?

I wish they would attach their emails to their rants... some ppl are just stupid. Ms Gleeson takes the cake!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 3:14 PM

John South leading up to Main East sticks out in my head as far as boarded up storefronts go.. but since the 2 way conversion, we've seen London Tap House, Shawarma Hut, Bubble Tea place all open up in a previously dead area.
Someone should also point out to Colleen that the Lister Block has been stalled because of many other forces at play between LIUNA and the city. And the Tivoli is going to be redone very soon.. things take some time in a city that is just building its momentum.. not everything is done as quickly as a TV show!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 3:17 PM

That letter to the editor is pure bunkum. I seriously doubt the writer actually walked James North, easily the most vibrant street in the city any day of the week. There's no way she passed the same bus three times and there's no way that empty storefronts were more noticeable than sidewalk cafes.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
That letter to the editor is pure bunkum. I seriously doubt the writer actually walked James North, easily the most vibrant street in the city any day of the week. There's no way she passed the same bus three times and there's no way that empty storefronts were more noticeable than sidewalk cafes.
Agreed, on all points. If she passed the same bus 3 times, something else was afoot along James North. And since she was walking the conversion to 2-way made her walk more enjoyable then if the street were still one-way ;-).

When I lived in Toronto, I used to wait for my 5:10pm 144 TTC bus and had a little game to pass the time and get some exercise. I'd wait for the bus to come to the stop at Adelaide and Peter Street, let it leave the stop and start walking along the one-way street of Adelaide towards Yonge.

I would pass the bus, have time to stop at Winners to look at some new shirts, then catch that very same bus at Yonge.

Adelaide is a one-way street so that must mean one-way streets don't work for moving traffic.............. lol, for my very scientific study and observations.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 4:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
lol, for my very scientific study and observations.
Probably about as 'scientific' as Ms Gleeson's 'poll'! hahaha

Someone should really write a rebuttle (if they wld even print one) re: what Adam said about how the two-way conversion gave her the idea to walk the street rather than drive it.
Doesn't that mean the conversion worked? Wasn't the whole point of it to get ppl out of their cars?
Well Thanks Colleen for proving that it has worked.

ps: That bubble tea place's sign is up, it's called Green House Bubble Tea & Asian Cuisine.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
I also walk past all those attractive boarded up storefronts, the Tivoli site and our glorious Lister Block -- all great testimonies to the improvements that the two-way conversions have wrought.
Notice these are all across from Jackson Square?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 5:24 PM
Closed account

she focuses on one of the only areas that are boarded up. Heck, I see boarded up buildings on Yonge in Toronto.
I challenge her to count every single storefront on James St and then write a letter about 'all' the boarded up storefronts.
Idiot.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 5:29 PM
Closed account

And since she didn't count all the boarded up store fronts BEFORE conversion, her little survey is useless anyway.

I can't write a rebuttal, they've already printed a little rant of mine on the subject. But someone should.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 5:51 PM

Someone with some time and looking for a little exercise should once and for all take a walk up James from Liuna to St. Joe’s and count the number of businesses/buildings and the number that are vacant/boarded up. I bet the percentage will be under 5%. Most will be in the block of the Lister and the Tivoli.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
And since she didn't count all the boarded up store fronts BEFORE conversion, her little survey is useless anyway.

I can't write a rebuttal, they've already printed a little rant of mine on the subject. But someone should.
I'm out as well, since they put 4 of mine in since I've moved to Hamilton at the end of April. Two of those letters have been slamming a one-way supporters letter, so I'm saving my next for a different topic.

Who's up? I'll write it if someone wants to approve and submit ;-).

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 5:57 PM
It's Hammer Time

Write it and I'll submit it haha

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 6:14 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Someone with some time and looking for a little exercise should once and for all take a walk up James from Liuna to St. Joe’s and count the number of businesses/buildings and the number that are vacant/boarded up. I bet the percentage will be under 5%. Most will be in the block of the Lister and the Tivoli.
I would, but I've had a knee replacement! HAHAHA jokes!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 6:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

Now that two-way conversion has been approved here's the timeline for the conversions...

Park/MacNab --> 2008
York/Wilson --> 2009
Hughson --> 2009
Hess --> 2009
Caroline --> 2009
King St W --> 2010 -- Pending Rapid Transit study outcome
King William --> 2010
Rebecca --> 2010

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 7:04 PM
Closed account

Park & McNab by the end of the year???
Maybe it's easier b/c their primarily residential?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues