HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 1:16 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Thumbs up Chinatown Updates Discussion

I think its time for a CHINATOWN thread! so here it is! if anyone has time to round up all the projects that would be great.

but here are pics of 2 of them.

Solterra's Keefer Block looks to move into sales soon.

and The Flats is digging away!

all my pics

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 10:58 PM

Model pics here - I think this is the Westbank project.

Solterra sales centre for the other Main & Keefer project looks to be gearing up - at Dolce Vita (Symphony Place)

http://bbscalemodels.com/2012/07/main-keefer-2012/

More pics at the website...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 11:01 PM

excellent news on the sales center! thx for the model pix

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 6:08 PM

CHI-TOWN updates

KEEFER BLOCK (hoarding going up)

CIBC Bank Office Reno

The Flats

my pics enjoy

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 6:31 PM

Do they still have "THE ONLY" seafoods? What a place for crabmeat in butter !!!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 7:44 PM
Dig-it

Walked around Chinatown a couple of weeks ago, and the place is in a sorry state.
The charm and atmosphere of just a decade ago is nothing but history now, lots of the shops/restaurants are closed and the place looks like it's on life support.
We need some of those HK Billionaires to make that place their new pet project.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 9:10 PM

I'm not sure exactly if the heritage value of Chinatown is enough to save itself compared to say other items that may appear on an Asian buyer's shopping list... e.g. good educational facilities nearby for the kids, land (perhaps), spot for car parking, good transport, good reputation etc.

In particular I think people may still be deterred for the very legit reason of the security, homelessness and drug issues at their doorstep (aka Downtown Eastside).

I think that, if the three levels of government really stepped in and cleaned up the Downtown Eastside's general problems, that the recovery of Chinatown as it once was will pick up pace to an extent.

As to whether the recovery will actually mean the return of the Chinese/Asian businesses that have vacated the area of late, that is in the open still... In fact, at this point, I think it's becoming slightly more white-washed due to the lack of heritage appreciation from the more recent Asian immigrants...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 10:24 PM
Dig-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
I'm not sure exactly if the heritage value of Chinatown is enough to save itself compared to say other items that may appear on an Asian buyer's shopping list... e.g. good educational facilities nearby for the kids, land (perhaps), spot for car parking, good transport, good reputation etc.
You pretty much described Richmond.
So what do you think the future holds for China Town?.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 11:34 PM
testify

i don't know about chinatown's demographics, but i know that it would stand a better chance if that enormous social housing complex and grassy field directly to the east were redeveloped and integrated into the urban fabric there.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFace View Post
Walked around Chinatown a couple of weeks ago, and the place is in a sorry state.
The charm and atmosphere of just a decade ago is nothing but history now, lots of the shops/restaurants are closed and the place looks like it's on life support.
We need some of those HK Billionaires to make that place their new pet project.
Most of the asian businesses moved to Richmond. With rents being high and foot traffic at a low it is hard to stay in business.

I see CHINATOWN change for the positive in the future but it will be more like a gastown type feel and the old heritage of Chinatown will not be back.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 9:04 PM

Keefer block render

http://changingcitybook.com/2012/08/...keefer-street/

I have an intense hatred for buildings that pretend to be several smaller ones. Las Vegas anyone?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
I have an intense hatred for buildings
You sure you didn't mean that instead?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Keefer block render

http://changingcitybook.com/2012/08/...keefer-street/

I have an intense hatred for buildings that pretend to be several smaller ones. Las Vegas anyone?
I dunno man, this building looks pretty nice to me. I like the way things a headed so far in Chinatown. The new chinatown is going to be a great neighborhood with lots of character.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 10:45 PM
testify

agree that it's flirting with grotesquerie, but i wonder if the street-level experience of the building might work out pretty well. obviously, it's a fairly hamfisted reference to the traditional small lots and variety and that, but it could actually create the intended effect, where the average passer-by is deceived into feeling like this building blends into the historic streetscape. that said, is that corner entrance for the lobby or is it for an especially large main st-fronting commercial space (perfect for the large restaurant that this corner demands, assuming it's this one)?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 12:13 AM

In many ways, the new Chinese immigrants have little cultural affinity with Chinatown's. The core Chinese group in Chinatown were early Chinese immigrants from the Cantonese provinces of China, which does have a modest connection with the HK immigrants from the 90s. However, current Chinese immigration is for the most part from the rest of China, which has minor cultural affinity with Chinatown. The main cultural institutions and organizations in Chinatown all speak Cantonese.

It also doesn't help that Chinatown's located in an area with a bad reputation and that Richmond is a much more comfortable area to settle in general, especially for families and younger people.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Definitely better than the previous version with the clock on the corner.
There's no symmetry below the lantern, however.
Why not put the Keefer St. side balcony on the corner, so there's a flow down from the lantern to the sidewalk?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 12:58 AM
Dig-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeowner View Post
Most of the asian businesses moved to Richmond. With rents being high and foot traffic at a low it is hard to stay in business.

I see CHINATOWN change for the positive in the future but it will be more like a gastown type feel and the old heritage of Chinatown will not be back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echowinds View Post
In many ways, the new Chinese immigrants have little cultural affinity with Chinatown's. The core Chinese group in Chinatown were early Chinese immigrants from the Cantonese provinces of China, which does have a modest connection with the HK immigrants from the 90s. However, current Chinese immigration is for the most part from the rest of China, which has minor cultural affinity with Chinatown. The main cultural institutions and organizations in Chinatown all speak Cantonese.

It also doesn't help that Chinatown's located in an area with a bad reputation and that Richmond is a much more comfortable area to settle in general, especially for families and younger people.
Hmmm, sounds like it's destined to die, and then rise from the ashes to be something other than what we remember.

Interesting to be at a pivotal period in history to hopefully see a positive master plan for some type of rejuvenation of this historical location.
I for one sure hope it bounces back, maybe once things get transformed/improved up to Main st at least.
10 + year plan maybe?. I guess as long as the Millennium Gate doesn't get moved to Richmond, there is still hope.

Does this have any backbone, or is it just political chatter?
http://vancouver.ca/home-property-de...alization.aspx

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echowinds View Post
Ding ding ding.

It has to be said. Chinatown's in a dung hole of an area.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 11:59 PM

Sad but true. I wish it wasn't so...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 12:12 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Give it ten year for redevelopment/renovations to make it into Chinatown. I can almost guarantee you that the area will be vastly improved (albeit perhaps without the Chinese character, unless we work to preserve it) at this point. It has only been 3 years since Woodward's was completed, and that area is much better than it was prior. I would argue that the area has cleaned up almost all of the way to Columbia. That leaves about 4-5 blocks to go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver