HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
So dumb. All the current Skytrain lines converge and really how useful is parking going to be when we have robo ubers in 10 years time.
The article clearly addressed that: The total parking proposed just about meets the requirements here, with 7 underground floors of parking and 5 above grade. The developers appear to be anticipating those requirements coming down in future, as 65,000 of the above grade parking is designed to potentially convert to additional office space.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 7:12 PM

Renders from Page 1 of this thread.[

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
Just came across these renderings on the architect's website...

MCMP Architects

MCMP Architects

Last edited by officedweller; Apr 15, 2016 at 1:15 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 9:51 PM

Keeping the parking even on the street level is madness. Keep the upper parking floors, but at least convert the street level to retail. Otherwise this very central block will never see pedestrian traffic.

Isn't there even a direct entrance to the Skytrain station somewhere very nearby?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Keeping the parking even on the street level is madness. Keep the upper parking floors, but at least convert the street level to retail. Otherwise this very central block will never see pedestrian traffic.
I'm pretty sure there's no parking at grade in the new design. What you see in the rendering is a new parking entrance to the left and office tower lobby along Seymour. I think there's some retail in the new design along Seymour, but I wouldn't expect much.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 10:40 PM

What's that multi-coloured monolith thing sitting in the middle of the sidewalk?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 12:25 AM

There is retail space, potentially already spoken for, from what I've heard.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 12:54 AM

Isn't the former food court (now fitness centre) under the parkade?
If so they could be a "proper" entrance down to the mall and Canada Line from the new office tower lobby

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
So dumb. All the current Skytrain lines converge and really how useful is parking going to be when we have robo ubers in 10 years time.
On a different angle, if the first 5 floors are going to be a parkade, will this not mean that the Seymour side of the building be given over to vehicle entrances and exit ramps and gates,
and will this not create a nasty buildup of slowed up traffic either direction?
Hell in rush houir.
Also, what else could one put along a streetfront like this one that had some attraction and charm? Not a lot of possiblity IMO. Go back to the drawing board on this one.

Last edited by trofirhen; Apr 15, 2016 at 1:13 AM. Reason: felt like it

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 1:15 AM

The pic shows the parking entrance -
Remember the exitsing parkade already has an entrance on Seymour - no different, really.

Here's the ground floor plans from the DP application -

It'll actually remove the alley that currently exists between Vancouver Centre tower and the parkade
(which leads to the London Drug loading area)

The driveway shown above is really a replacement alley and the parkade entrance in off the alley and the replacement alley.

You can also see double escalators descending to the mall from the office lobby.

From this plan, you can see that only a part of the old food court was under the parkade (or more likely, under the old alley)
(now occupied by the fitness centre changerooms)

Last edited by officedweller; Apr 15, 2016 at 1:26 AM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 1:27 AM

yeah, but

OD, your point is well made and I can see how well the parkade entrance looks. Seems ok. Hope it gets underway asap. Too bad no harmony whatsoever with beige and white of its neighbor, but otherwise a nice cool bit of infill, ... if it is, in fact, considered infill.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 1:53 AM

Earlier in the thread there was a comment that the owner is considering recladding Scotia Tower.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_Yvr View Post
The article clearly addressed that: The total parking proposed just about meets the requirements here, with 7 underground floors of parking and 5 above grade. The developers appear to be anticipating those requirements coming down in future, as 65,000 of the above grade parking is designed to potentially convert to additional office space.
Great call. Though today it looks like parking needs may be dropping in 10 years we may all be taking autonomous electric cars to work and they may be just as high if not higher. This compromise best positions this tower for the needs of today and tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Isn't there even a direct entrance to the Skytrain station somewhere very nearby?
This will be directly connected indoors to skytrain (City Centre Station) and via Pacific Centre to Granville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Earlier in the thread there was a comment that the owner is considering recladding Scotia Tower.
It will likely need to happen at some point in the near-medium term future. A lot of the office stock built around that time is facing sealing failures etc... The Scoita bank building won't be the only one performing a glazing replacement/reclad in the next 10 years.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
It will likely need to happen at some point in the near-medium term future. A lot of the office stock built around that time is facing sealing failures etc... The Scoita bank building won't be the only one performing a glazing replacement/reclad in the next 10 years.
Let's just hope that when they reclad the Scotia and TD towers they don't get forced to change the glass to something clear....

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 5:50 PM

I like how the sidewalk opens up at the plaza area. Hopefully that area will be more welcoming to pedestrians in the future.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 2:56 AM

I got this in the mail today.

May 2 '16, my pic

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 12:46 AM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Let's just hope that when they reclad the Scotia and TD towers they don't get forced to change the glass to something clear....
Of course they will be. The city's goal is to homogenize the entire city so that it's uniformly drab.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 4:11 AM

I really don't see how Great West Life (owner) doesn't recognize / or jump on the opportunity to add onto the Georgia & Granville corner retail with a multi-level retail space.
(i.e. extend a taller podium (5 storeys) from Scotia Tower to the corner)
I wonder how long London Drugs' lease is?

Even Pacific Centre wants to build on its plazas.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I really don't see how Great West Life (owner) doesn't recognize / or jump on the opportunity to add onto the Georgia & Granville corner retail with a multi-level retail space.
(i.e. extend a taller podium (5 storeys) from Scotia Tower to the corner)
I wonder how long London Drugs' lease is?

Even Pacific Centre wants to build on its plazas.
Maybe there is a limit to what they can build - sort of like the limitations to Pacific Centre's rotunda plaza?

Regardless, I agree. You'd think at the very least they would want to overhaul the space and maximize its potential. And improve it's street-level presence...

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 8:54 PM
urbanYVR.com

It is very odd to me as well how the proponent wouldn't take advantage of the huge demand for large format retail and build a larger podium... Simons, Uniqlo, Saks... even Loblaw CityMarket wants to get into the downtown core and are having troubles finding suitable space. It would also help animate this block which is pretty dark and dead.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 9:27 PM

From what I have heard GWL does have plans for that corner. Not sure when they plan to move on them but something is in the works.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver