HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 8:24 PM

And thus, the skyscraper-lover community rejoices and celebrates........

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 8:29 PM

High-resolution renderings added on first page!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 8:39 PM

I am sure this building will look fantastic at this location, but it could look even better as the opposing gateway tower to Vancouver House. Imagine those protruding boxes hanging over Granville Bridge loops. Now that would be interesting!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 8:49 PM

I am pretty sure the honeycomb pattern on the box at the bottom is meant to compliment the tower going up on the other side of West Georgia. I think they will look fantastic, but now I wish that also the other side would see something twice as tall.

It would also be fantastic to have a Flatiron style building at the middle of the intersection.Now, that would be a nice gateway into city!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 9:29 PM

so for 1500 W Georgia, are they keeping the shorter office building on the West side of the property that is there right now? it looks like it's staying put.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
It's like a giant jenga tower ahahaaha.
Hey! I said that first!
(before it had its own thread)

The more I see it, the more I like it. Although I like Vancouver House more.

I like the base and plaza/water features best, and I like that it's bold and different. It will be interesting to see how the design evolves, is tweaked etc. and I think once again the materials used will play a huge role in how the final product turns out.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 10:05 PM
Vancouver Moderator

It's very much like what might be built in Melbourne.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 10:23 PM

I kind of like how retro (while still being modern) it looks. Despite being new, it captures the kitsch of The West End. I think it might look kind of dopey in Yaletown, but for this location I think it's really promising.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 10:49 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post

What's going on inside that box? A dance floor? A theater?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^totally.

I like it because it is a departure from most 'Vancouverism', but in all honesty it is awkward.

Needs a wee bit of refining.
Agreed. It has a lot of promise but there are a few things that need to get sorted out before this should proceed.

I'm sure Bosa and the architect will work them through during rezoning/UDP though.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 11:28 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 12:22 AM
life in the present

The blank walls also remind me a bit of Nelson Square.

source : http://www.wongouyang.com

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 12:30 AM

Drool worthy!

Very similar, but much taller version of this is going up in NYC. Absolutely love the "jenga" towers.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 12:36 AM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
We complain a lot, but there has actually been several great buildings go up in the past few years: MNP Tower, Trump Tower, Telus Garden (office tower) and in the near future Vancouver House, the Origami Tower and 1500 West Georgia are all amazing buildings. And they are all going up in Downtown and not in the suburbs. They may build it taller in there, but they build it plain and bulky. Downtown Vancouver still shows example in architecture as it should.
Totally agree, all of the towers you cite are brand new, under construction or soon to be built, a good trend? Yes!

Once better architecture reaches a critical mass, it will become the new norm and decision makers will be have these great towers as examples which will likely mitigate, or at least result in less poorly designed towers in Vancouver's future.

A city centre should display far better design than the suburbs and this is obviously beginning to happen, although there are isolated examples taking place in the 'burbs like 3 Civic Plaza in Surrey.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 1:00 AM

I'm enjoying how the little the balconies seem to stand out. Perhaps that is a little to do with the render itself? I quite like what I see, very un vancouver in my opinion.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 1:26 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Global BC News Hour had a story on the project, and some video of the tower that showed details not in the renders.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 2:10 AM

I will be the outlier here and say that this tower looks stupid. Like, what you would expect when you get a street-side artist with no aim to design a building for an architecture firm. The protruding boxes have already been done numerous times and is nothing unique. It makes the tower look stunted. Worse, one side of the tower is completely flat with no protruding boxes, as if it has an identity crisis and does not know what it wants to be. A simpler, more uniform design is all that was needed.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
I will be the outlier here and say that this tower looks stupid. Like, what you would expect when you get a street-side artist with no aim to design a building for an architecture firm. The protruding boxes have already been done numerous times and is nothing unique. It makes the tower look stunted. Worse, one side of the tower is completely flat with no protruding boxes, as if it has an identity crisis and does not know what it wants to be. A simpler, more uniform design is all that was needed.
My thoughts exactly.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
Hopefully some of those issues will be ironed out with time.

I like this building because it brings something different to a prominent location in the city. Candidly, though,if not executed well there's a lot that could go horribly wrong.

I find it interesting that of the best new buildings being proposed or built, most are residential. Would be nice to see a few more office buildings (MNP and Telus notwithstanding)

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
Very similar, but much taller version of this is going up in NYC. Absolutely love the "jenga" towers.
The one in NYC is by Herzog & de Meuron -
designers of the new VAG.

Wouldn't it be brutal if they proposed a mid-rise jenga building for the new VAG?
(and be usurped by this one?)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver