HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 8:44 AM

Complaints about the location of the plaza:

Vancouver real estate: fight looms over plaza in Safeway redevelopment on Broadway and Commercial
https://www.straight.com/news/vancou...n-broadway-and

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 12:13 AM

they must not travel much, a plaza where they want it would probably be more intimidating for many people. Whereever it goes it is going to act as a "foyer" at least in this latest version it works better.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they must not travel much, a plaza where they want it would probably be more intimidating for many people. Whereever it goes it is going to act as a "foyer" at least in this latest version it works better.
I believe that's the idea - the dissenting voices appear to want a "locals only" plaza.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 2:11 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountain View Post
I think you underestimate how strongly nearby residents hate density. This has been in talks for years and it's only finishing up now. There's a reason why that whole area is single family homes despite being the intersection of two rapid transit lines.
I have zero patience for these people now.

These residents were lucky enough to have this area, with one of the most important and expensive transit hubs in the city, all to themselves for 20 years. The city is full of people driving over an hour to get to work because they can't live near hubs like Commercial/Broadway- transit hubs that we all paid for.

Keep Commercial Drive as it is, but develop Broadway like it should have been done years ago.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 3:33 AM

there are a number of approved 6 storeys coming along that stretch of Broadway towards Nanaimo and an 11 storey at Victoria and 11th. Finally seeing some density in the area. Some of the houses have been boarded up getting ready for demo. Its happening!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 8:00 PM

Those folks just don't want the towers built, full stop. Fighting over the plaza is just a lame excuse to derail this project from ever happening. Even if the developer spends thousands of dollars more for the Architect or Landscape Arch designer to relocate the plaza to their "utmost liking", they will dig out some other issues to fight about.

Same old tactic, and nothing we haven't seen from these overly entitled, self-centred and selfish people.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 8:30 PM

The plaza is actually, IMO, a great compromise for the NIMBYs and current neighbours. In an ideal world, they would now be able to host events that boost the local economy of the surrounding areas by hosting little markets and such.

However the pessimist in me knows that it will probably end up being used like Jim Deva plaza whenever no one is watching...

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
The plaza is actually, IMO, a great compromise for the NIMBYs and current neighbours. In an ideal world, they would now be able to host events that boost the local economy of the surrounding areas by hosting little markets and such.

However the pessimist in me knows that it will probably end up being used like Jim Deva plaza whenever no one is watching...
I mean private plazas usually have more security to keep people moving along vs a public plaza.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 10:49 PM

That makes sense to me -
i.e. privately-owned (but still open to the public) versus publicly-owned (civicly owned and maintained )

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I mean private plazas usually have more security to keep people moving along vs a public plaza.
I think they were made to forfeit about 45 feet under a ROW dedication under this proposal. Meaning a 45 foot wide N-S corridor that is not private, I think. Legally I don't know who maintains it and for how long and where responsibility lies, but that's what the drawings appear to show.

EDIT: Nvm looks like a private open-to-public plaza which means some interesting legal items will need to be discussed as per use. If I was a community group I'd rally around that.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
I think they were made to forfeit about 45 feet under a ROW dedication under this proposal. Meaning a 45 foot wide N-S corridor that is not private, I think. Legally I don't know who maintains it and for how long and where responsibility lies, but that's what the drawings appear to show.
I think it's designated through the rezoning as public realm with all the access rights laid out but with private maintenance like almost every other courtyard and plaza.

Old Globe article about public/private spaces in the city:

http://www.vancouverseniorsadvisory....public-spaces/

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I think it's designated through the rezoning as public realm with all the access rights laid out but with private maintenance like almost every other courtyard and plaza.

Old Globe article about public/private spaces in the city:

http://www.vancouverseniorsadvisory....public-spaces/
Correct. The many issues during rezoning's legal talks, and the result. I remember hearing community groups at a City forum on many community groups don't know what uses are permitted, the application process, who to contact, or whether it's private or not. Might be part bureaucratic, part legal, but there are sometimes allowances for public applications at X% and property manger's allowance for what they want for X% of the time.

I remember that article and I think I attended said working group.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 4:21 PM

Resubmission virtual open house is up until October 25. The changes to the landscape drawings and floorplans look good. I think they won my support.

https://shapeyourcity.ca/1780-e-broadway

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Resubmission virtual open house is up until October 25. The changes to the landscape drawings and floorplans look good. I think they won my support.

https://shapeyourcity.ca/1780-e-broadway
The video is great too. I sent them my support.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 8:46 PM

Sent in comment and support.

Looks good. Absolute no brainer next to the Skytrain.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 9:04 PM

Resounding support sent. Now they can't say no to this.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 10:17 PM

I sent in my support as well.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 12:24 AM

Catch the egg shaped greenhouses from the video?

https://youtu.be/pg_4fCN9aLw

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 1:28 AM

A new architectural trope is born.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 2:09 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Sent a comment and my support.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver