HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

1444 Alberni East Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 7:00 PM

Yes, and I want a new building in 2024 to look like it's built in 2024, not pretend that it's 1924. The international style of certain eras can have local variations on it. Arthur Erickson is a great example, which we need a 21st century version of.

I'm saying international starchitecture > fake-art-deco, and modern west coast architecture > international starchitecture.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 7:19 PM

I obviously disagree with all that.

There's nothing wrong with classical revivalist styles built in the modern age as long as they are executed and done right.
Whether or not you believe these are done well is a matter of opinion, and it's clear what your opinion is.

I'm with the others on here and rather liked these building designs as a step away from the usual "cookie-cutter" types we normally get.

Speaking of which,..... wanting design styles to conform to a particular "look", be it of a place or a period, is usually how you end up with "cookie-cutter" and a dearth of creativity and innovation of styles as everyone is afraid to go outside the norm - even if that might mean looking to the past and doing something interesting with it for the modern age.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Spr0ckets; Mar 4, 2024 at 8:20 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 7:52 PM

This project is awesome. They should definitely build it as is. Too bad it seems to be on hold?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 8:00 PM

Put me into the camp all for the Art Deco Revival.

For all its worth, the west coast has had Robert Stern designed towers as far back as 2000, in West Van's Edgewater tower. For anyone curious to see their fantastic detailing / finishings https://www.ramsa.com/projects/proje...ter-apartments.

I hope the Alberni project is revived in its current form someday.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Put me into the camp all for the Art Deco Revival.

For all its worth, the west coast has had Robert Stern designed towers as far back as 2000, in West Van's Edgewater tower. For anyone curious to see their fantastic detailing / finishings https://www.ramsa.com/projects/proje...ter-apartments.

I hope the Alberni project is revived in its current form someday.
2288 Bellevue in West Van is gorgeous, inside and out. Most luxury interiors being offered nowadays dont hold a candle to it, in terms of quality and spaciousness.

I'm dissapointed that Mizrahi and partners didnt opt for RAMSA for One Bloor West, as per the original plan. It would have been simpler from an engineering perspective and would likely be topped out by now.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
^^These are false dichotomies. If this project has the budget to pull off art-deco in a non-cringy way, it's not going to look like "the usual". I rather see that high-end money going towards another Bjarke Ingels or Kengo Kuma, or ideally something more representative of the West Coast.

Also, the "green" glass cliche is about 15 years out of date
Why is it not ideal that it doesn't represent the west coast. And what does that even mean? Is the Hotel Vancouver Weat Coast? Is the Sun Yat Sen garden west coast? It's a post modern building evoking Art Deco, plenty of these exist in Vancouer, just with not as much stone work like this.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddieB View Post
Why is it not ideal that it doesn't represent the west coast. And what does that even mean? Is the Hotel Vancouver Weat Coast? Is the Sun Yat Sen garden west coast? It's a post modern building evoking Art Deco, plenty of these exist in Vancouer, just with not as much stone work like this.
Exactly. I think you nailed it. I cannot understand why people 'think in boxes' and say "Oh we can't have that! It's not 'West Coast!'" And yes, what IS West Coast anyway? This is a new city with eclectic architecture, and doesn't have the strict "norms and standards" the way many European cities do. I like the project as it is presented, whether some think it is "faux New York" or not.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 2:07 AM

‘West Coast architecture’ is subjective, anyway. Look at San Francisco. Quintessential West Coast. Worlds apart from Vancouver, equally as quintessential West Coast. I am so on board with this design, and think it’s juxtaposition will be great.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 3:52 AM

I like the Heatherwick proposal better...at least it's being experiemental in expression, channeling something between a tree, a mushroom and Gaudi

...I think that this particular proposal is tacky because it will never achieve the true decoative facade treatment that makes art deco great...this will just look like it has been drawn at 1:200 ...its not even pomo because true pomo had a sense of self-awarenes about it, like Johnson's AT&T

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city guy View Post
I like the Heatherwick proposal better...at least it's being experiemental in expression, channeling something between a tree, a mushroom and Gaudi

...I think that this particular proposal is tacky because it will never achieve the true decoative facade treatment that makes art deco great...this will just look like it has been drawn at 1:200 ...its not even pomo because true pomo had a sense of self-awarenes about it, like Johnson's AT&T
It's a tower using stone we take what we get

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repthe250 View Post
‘West Coast architecture’ is subjective, anyway. Look at San Francisco. Quintessential West Coast. Worlds apart from Vancouver, equally as quintessential West Coast. I am so on board with this design, and think it’s juxtaposition will be great.
Exactly !

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver