HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 8:57 AM
life in the present

Very concerned that Pinnacle is the developer. As a Realtor I've done deals and owned is many of Pinnacle's products, generally the finishes and quality border on atrocious both on the exterior and interior. They'll need to up their game significantly or this could be the biggest eyesore on town. One Pinnacle development, The Sapphire, in Coal Harbour, is doing a complete re-do of the entire exterior just ten years after it was completed, purely for esthetics as many owners are appalled by the current appearance.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 9:26 AM

It's not bad.

A lot of it will depend on the quality of the finishes.

The white mullions may bear some similarity to the Canaccord Tower recladding.

The darker glass next to the white may - hopefully - bear some resemblance to the windows on Trump Tower.

It's a simple (cheap?) way to dress up a simple tower, mind you, the curvey waves down a façade have been done before - Westbank has the tower at Joyce, for example.

Also, the curves are created using the standard square window mullions, not actual curves.
- This could be a nod to the steps and setbacks of Vancouver House, but could come across looking cheap.

It'll be structurally simpler than Vancouver House, that's for certain.

I like the fact that it is taller than Vancouver House.

Last edited by officedweller; May 15, 2018 at 9:43 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:01 PM

You can already see the value engineering at play here, with the illusion of sculpting the tower floorplates while doing so more just with the pattern in facade elements.

I would be extremely concerned with how this is actually appears when built (as opposed to Vancouver House where Gillespie basically committed to executing the design before even knowing what it would cost).

Thanks for the pics McMinsen!

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
You can already see the value engineering at play here, with the illusion of sculpting the tower floorplates while doing so more just with the pattern in facade elements.

I would be extremely concerned with how this is actually appears when built (as opposed to Vancouver House where Gillespie basically committed to executing the design before even knowing what it would cost).

Thanks for the pics McMinsen!
Westbank works with too many Starchitects to try to cheap out on build quality.

I immensely appreciate the way Ian runs his business that allows the creation of these towers in Vancouver.

I don't know what it is about this town and opposition. Its a vacant lot in desperate need of something nice.

In an area already full of high rise of similar height.

How can anyone possibly even consider being in opposition to this?

They're not proposing a super tall here (though it should be).

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post

I immensely appreciate the way Ian runs his business that allows the creation of these towers in Vancouver.

I don't know what it is about this town and opposition. Its a vacant lot in desperate need of something nice.

In an area already full of high rise of similar height.

How can anyone possibly even consider being in opposition to this?

They're not proposing a super tall here (though it should be).
Agreed!

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Starchitects and build quality are not necessarily associated with other.

You might want to talk to a few strata boards in Westbank-built projects that are hamstrung with some pretty expensive build-quality issues, and Westbank's response is no different than any other developer in town addressing post-completion problems: "GFY".

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
A shame we didn't notice you, mcminsen. We did bump into LeftCoaster, however I had forgotten my feather suit at home.

On a serious note, there was a very vocal minority that were extremely opposed to this building tonight (views / shadowing), and it really spooked the city staff in attendance. I'll write more on it later, but for now I highly suggest those that want to see this move forward write in at 601Beach@pinnacleinternational.ca
Probably residents of Park West.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 10:23 PM

I wish that there was a more dramatic twist to this tower...

But all in all, a good proposal. They better keep the height!

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 10:33 PM
scared of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Starchitects and build quality are not necessarily associated with other.

You might want to talk to a few strata boards in Westbank-built projects that are hamstrung with some pretty expensive build-quality issues, and Westbank's response is no different than any other developer in town addressing post-completion problems: "GFY".
As a former owner in a Westbank project, I can confirm that that is 100% true.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 11:04 PM
be nice to the crackheads

A nice-looking tower that will compliment Vancouver House, and offer a neat gateway in to the city.

As for the NIMBYs in attendance, they're probably neighbours that don't want a building obstructing their view. The shadowing issue is a joke. That part of the city is full of towers ranging from 20 to 40 stories.

As suggested, write to the city.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 11:36 PM

Already sent my email for supporting the height.

Seriously the city should be far more concerned with materials used than the height of towers if it really wants to improve the look of downtown.

Also love how towers cast shadows but trees provide shade...

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTiger View Post
As a former owner in a Westbank project, I can confirm that that is 100% true.
That's very interesting.

Were they long term quality issues?

Not questioning you, but genuinely curious if you can elaborate on what these problems were?

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 3:12 PM

Article About The Project in Daily Hive

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 8:14 PM

Westbank actually has a pretty mediocre reputation in the industry for interior construction quality on many of their projects. I've had friends who bought in Telus Garden as well as their project up on West 8th, both of which came with a ridiculous number of unit deficiencies and a growing list of building problems.

My point in comparing to Pinnacle International was that Gillespie apparently takes great pains to ensure the exterior building quality matches the architect's vision whereas Pinnacle does not appear to care at all and will cheap out on any aspect of the building - floorplans, unit finishes, exterior finishes; all of it.

I know people keep pointing to One Yonge as an example of a good design Pinnacle has done - but it's still just a rendering at this point!

I would be more concerned about how this tower turns out than any other tower project in the City. Thankfully they will have to go through the slightly more rigorous higher buildings policy guidelines.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
Westbank actually has a pretty mediocre reputation in the industry for interior construction quality on many of their projects. I've had friends who bought in Telus Garden as well as their project up on West 8th, both of which came with a ridiculous number of unit deficiencies and a growing list of building problems.

My point in comparing to Pinnacle International was that Gillespie apparently takes great pains to ensure the exterior building quality matches the architect's vision whereas Pinnacle does not appear to care at all and will cheap out on any aspect of the building - floorplans, unit finishes, exterior finishes; all of it.

I know people keep pointing to One Yonge as an example of a good design Pinnacle has done - but it's still just a rendering at this point!

I would be more concerned about how this tower turns out than any other tower project in the City. Thankfully they will have to go through the slightly more rigorous higher buildings policy guidelines.
Actually - I did know of Telus, but never really associated it with Westbank.

I remember watching a video of a unit walk through, some pretty glaring issues.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Actually - I did know of Telus, but never really associated it with Westbank.

I remember watching a video of a unit walk through, some pretty glaring issues.
Picture "glaring issues" expanded to include building systems, and you'll have a more complete picture. Developers should be made to live in their projects for a minimum period of time, and so should the architects and planners that come up with completely unworkable sh!t that ends up costing stratas big time money afterward.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 6:07 PM

Tall tower, check.
Lots of CRU space, check.
Beautiful design, check.
In my hood, check.

What's there not to like about this building?

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
What's there not to like about this building?
Pinnacle building it

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
Pinnacle building it
I'm quite concerned about the materials.

I asked at the open house and the project is expected to be pure window wall with the swoops being a tacked on white aluminum element.

I wrote in my comment card that I supported the height, density and general building forms, but that curtain wall is a must at a high profile site like this.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 6:44 PM

Here's how the site looked yesterday.

May 19 '18, my pics

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver