HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

1166 West Pender Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 11:06 PM

Demolition is underway on the existing building.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2022, 4:40 AM

I'm really looking forward to this building. I think it will create a tonier feeling to that part of Pender Street. I just wish it could have been 7 or 8 storeys taller.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2022, 3:37 PM

Sometimes I see more than decent buildings get torn down and think there could have been better opportunities to take down a much smaller building... But I get it, it's business and this is a better use, and is an overall gain. It just feels weird. It's like driving down Oak St. and seeing a 5 year-old house get torn down but then have a row of run down 50s bungalows still standing. Just feels unnatural and wasteful to tear down something brand new. Sorry I digree, but my point is still kind of true, this building feels more substantial than something that just gets demolished. But I've never been inside so I really can't say for sure (maybe it's a POS inside), but it's heft from the outside certainly doesn't scream "tear me down"

The vacant lots (aka parking lots) that bug me more than anything are the ones hehind H Mart and the one beside The Penthouse. How both of those still parking lots?! They certainly should have been developed long ago

Old Posted Mar 13, 2022, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
The vacant lots (aka parking lots) that bug me more than anything are the ones hehind H Mart and the one beside The Penthouse. How both of those still parking lots?! They certainly should have been developed long ago
I assumed the parking lot next to the Penthouse was owned by a developer hoping to one day incorporate the Penthouse into the site to make it big enough to develop a tower. Maybe one day they'll give up that idea and develop something on the site they have. The parking covers theit taxes in the meantime.

The two sites by H-Mart (the building is called L'Aria) across the lane on Richards and to the south on Seymour are, I think, both owned by the same Hong Kong developer who built a West End rental 50 years ago. The land value has accumulated massively over the decades they've owned it, and here too the income from the parking no doubt more than covers the taxes, so they don't have to be in a hurry to build anything. The good news is that there was a test drilling rig on site last week, so maybe something will finally come forward there.

That leaves the undeveloped, and not even a temporary community garden site on Robson Street that's stood empty for decades.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 5:07 PM

When we deal with folks with those downtown parking lots... things go no where. Landowners are not as in a hurry as local residents. You do get a lot more boutique office proposals though

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 5:08 PM

An article in today's BIV on 1166 West Pender for those interested:

https://biv.com/article/2022/04/reli...r-office-tower

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 5:54 PM

Booming. Wish some of my Clients would get off their ass

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 10:12 AM

April 9 '22, my pics

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 4:04 PM

The parking lots beside Penthouse and L'Aria are crazy to still be there, I know the owners have their own thing going on and don't care, but it feels so incredibly wasteful at this point to have those taking up so much acreage in prime spots, and then having relatively decent building of over 15 stories get torn down... Do you think the City taxes them at a low rate, or as if they had a condo on it?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
The parking lots beside Penthouse and L'Aria are crazy to still be there, I know the owners have their own thing going on and don't care, but it feels so incredibly wasteful at this point to have those taking up so much acreage in prime spots, and then having relatively decent building of over 15 stories get torn down... Do you think the City taxes them at a low rate, or as if they had a condo on it?
If they're a parking lot, they get taxed as a parking lot. The City doesn't have any role in determining what class of taxation is applied to any land; that's the BC Assessment Authority.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 9:33 AM

May 2 '22, my pics

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 9:06 PM

June 6 '22, my pic

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 10:16 PM

Colliers: 1166 West Pender is being built totally on spec.

https://www.collierscanada.com/en-ca...report-2022-q2

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 12:14 PM

Aug.30 '22, my pics

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 3:26 AM

A view from the alley looking east.

Good progress on the demolition.

Nov.7 '22, my pic

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 9:48 AM

That is an impressively orderly and clean demolition. Gone are the days of implosions it seems. I think the last one we had was the original Woodwards building in 2006 although I could be wrong about that.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
That is an impressively orderly and clean demolition. Gone are the days of implosions it seems. I think the last one we had was the original Woodwards building in 2006 although I could be wrong about that.
Those day are indeed gone, implosions are now prohibited by WorkSafeBC. I believe they're using Brokk machines for demolition (or something similar), which is why it's going so clean.

That tech was also used in the demo of the old Empire Landmark Hotel, and the applicant team was super interested in it when I mentioned it at this project's open house, and they even brought it up at its public hearing.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 8:00 PM

Maybe in a couple months or so there will be a great view (albeit temporarily) of The Stack.

Nov.21 '22, my pics

Last edited by mcminsen; Nov 23, 2022 at 2:30 AM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 2:11 AM

Yeah, nice angle.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 9:24 AM

My how the time flies.

Nov.12 '18, my pic

Nov.21 '22, my pic

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver