HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

1166 West Pender Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 4:08 PM

If the City of Vancouver really wants to encourage more hotel development they could scrap the shadow restriction on Harbour Green Park and allow a 50+ storey hotel development on this site.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
If the City of Vancouver really wants to encourage more hotel development they could scrap the shadow restriction on Harbour Green Park and allow a 50+ storey hotel development on this site.
If City Council want to allow Harbour Green Park to be compromised more by allowing it to be shadowed even more, then that's a decision they should make. It shouldn't be tied to any specific project. There's no guarantee that the development would actually be built as a hotel, another proposal could then be made for a different 50+ storey building. And it would presumably also apply, as a policy, to other sites that could be redeveloped that would also potentially shadow the park.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 4:59 PM

I don’t get why having something provide shade in a park is a bad thing.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 5:43 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
As a Coal Harbour resident, it's quite cold and shady here most of the time, we get almost no direct light on our streets even during the summer months. Harbour Green Park is a respite for this and I enjoy the sun we do get down there in the summer. Most other times of the year we have to head over the English Bay to enjoy some much needed sun and vitamin D.

The park itself enjoys shade from tons of trees that are now 20+ years old and becoming mature and quite large, we don't need more shadows from buildings directly over the park.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
I think that a lot of that has to do with Vancouver's climate. In a grey-sky city like hours, people look for all the sunshine they can get. If we had the climate of Phoenix or Dallas, this would be much different.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 1:46 AM

In the case of Harbour Green Park, it's just in a bad location for a park to get sunshine.
Having it directly north of the CBD isn't the optimal place for a park wanting sunlight.
But there is Stanley Park and Devonian Park nearby.

I agree that it's cold and shaded there, and that's one of the reasons that parkland is not as successful as the Concord Lands' parks, where they have southern exposure.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 1:49 AM

They should build a public park on top of a 50 storey hotel

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 4:50 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
In the case of Harbour Green Park, it's just in a bad location for a park to get sunshine.
Having it directly north of the CBD isn't the optimal place for a park wanting sunlight.
But there is Stanley Park and Devonian Park nearby.

I agree that it's cold and shaded there, and that's one of the reasons that parkland is not as successful as the Concord Lands' parks, where they have southern exposure.
From my experience Harbour Green Park is quite successful. Little kids on warm days don't care if the spray park is in the shade or not. And the park has the only large lawn close to the CBD, so it is often full of picnic blankets in the summer. The benches along the Seawall are also a great place to watch seaplanes land and take off, or to gaze at the mountains, or to watch watercraft. The park is also very peaceful at night when the tourist and office worker crowds have disappeared and the lack of nearby roads means there are no sounds aside from the waves, birds, and infrequent passerby. I regularly walk in this park and it feels uniquely like an urban oasis, especially during hot summer days, in a way the homogenous False Creek parks are not.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 12:02 AM

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Are they still going with the proposed design?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviscon View Post
Are they still going with the proposed design?
The last inspection report mentions a revision is being prepared and the project is on hold.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver