HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 12:37 AM

800 Granville Street | 79m | Proposed

I think this deserves its own thread.

Incredibly ambitious. I need to digest before I comment more. First thought, Granville is in desperate need of revitalization. But this is bold.

Credit to our friend Kenneth Chan over at DailyHive.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/800-...-redevelopment

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
I think this deserves its own thread.

Incredibly ambitious. I need to digest before I comment more. First thought, Granville is in desperate need of revitalization. But this is bold.
When pigs fly is my guess.

PS does anyone else think Kenneth Chan is Vin?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 12:45 AM

I really like it. But this will never pass the city because it’ll give them heart attacks not being “human scale”. They’ll force it to be broken up

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
When pigs fly is my guess.

PS does anyone else think Kenneth Chan is Vin?
Absolutely - shoot for the stars reach the moon scenario. My guess is shock the City with this and settle on something grand, that otherwise wouldn't have passed.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
I really like it. But this will never pass the city because it’ll give them heart attacks not being “human scale”. They’ll force it to be broken up
That's pretty much what I thought too, looking at this. It's too daring for Vancouver City Council.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 1:31 AM

Doesn’t look impractical or far-fetched to me.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 1:40 AM

A fantastic proposal. Exactly what Granville needs and not far fetched at all IMO.

Seriously, what is with all the negatively on this page?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 1:44 AM

I was wondering when something like this would be put forward. After all, it hasn't exactly been a secret that something was coming here, since it was strongly hinted at during the UDP's review of Bonnis's 800 Granville St proposal

Quote:
Granville Street set to Experience Office Building Boom – Major Revitalization Hinges on One Small Step
https://cityduo.wordpress.com/2019/0...ne-small-step/

As for my thoughts on the renderings of this project.

At first glance, I'm not really impressed by the design, but maybe that's just a splitting headache talking. The first rendering doesn't leave me with a good impression, as it feels like a block of massing dropped onto the existing block, with little detailing or articulation. Granted, it's at a very early stage of design, and the creation of more job, and entertainment spaces will be a great boost to the city, and the Strip itself.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 1:52 AM

i highly doubt this would happen in the City of Vancouver. they dont like things like this.

a dumbed down version will probably end up getting built once the city gets them to change it.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 1:53 AM

I'm not sure how the "Nice, historic club venue you've got there; shame if something unfortunate happened to it" narrative will play out. Anybody know if any lawyers live in any of the lower floors of the Capitol tower? Particularly in any of the 09, 10 or 11 units.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 2:03 AM

Quote:
actually because the scheme proposes the preservation of all those buildings a human scale experience will continue at street level...as the article says...only the Orpheum entry is heritage-listed...nothing else is, including the commodore so this scheme would preserve the whole swath

it's brilliant

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 2:05 AM

The horizontal massing and glassy exterior are giving me the Chicago Thompson center vibe. It's a local cult favorite, but not really my jam. I can see that the proposal is a bit more polished and thoughtful. Honestly, anything is an improvement over what's there right now.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8844...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city guy View Post
actually because the scheme proposes the preservation of all those buildings a human scale experience will continue at street level...as the article says...only the Orpheum entry is heritage-listed...nothing else is, including the commodore so this scheme would preserve the whole swath

it's brilliant
Not only that but it preserves the underground bowling alley and expands the event / venue spaces.

I serialism can’t see how this can’t be viewed as a win win.

The design looks as if it is straight out of Tokyo, Osaka or Seoul. Perfect scale for the district.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city guy View Post

it's brilliant
Several of the buildings are heritage listed. The Commodore is a 'Heritage A' building. However, none of them are currently protected with A Heritage Revitalization Agreement, which would ensure their 'protection', and the developer could apply to replace them. I don't believe they couldn't make a redevelopment at the permitted 3.5 FSR plus a bit more density for HRA facade retention give them a reasonable return. This project at 11.5 FSR would presumably make them more. I suspect that a project of this scale won't be perceived as protecting the heritage buildings really - the context is so dramatically altered, and the addition is so different in style and emphasis that the preserved facades pretty much disappear - at least in the renders so far published. Usually the addition that might be permitted would be two or three floors, set back (as you see in Yaletown warehouse additions). Creating a structural bridge over the Commodore Structure means what's there today wouldn't change, but it was heavily restored already some years ago.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 2:16 AM

- Saves and expands the cultural venues.
- Adds more eatery space (and with a balcony-sidewalk, no less).
- Rejuvenates the Mall.
- Plays nice with the viewcone/shading policies.
- Looks incredibly badass.

All in all, this is a win-win for everybody.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 4:18 AM
Reason and Freedom

A proposal like this is like a godsend to Vancouver and the Granville Entertainment District. The city almost doesn't deserve it.

Some more renderings from the proposal:

Source:https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/800-...-redevelopment

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
That's pretty much what I thought too, looking at this. It's too daring for Vancouver City Council.
Don't expect a leopard to change it's spots...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
At first glance, I'm not really impressed by the design, but maybe that's just a splitting headache talking. The first rendering doesn't leave me with a good impression, as it feels like a block of massing dropped onto the existing block, with little detailing or articulation. Granted, it's at a very early stage of design, and the creation of more job, and entertainment spaces will be a great boost to the city, and the Strip itself.
Exactly. I like the idea of it - but there's something about it that just doesn't work for me. Hopefully they refine it instead of making it into Art Gallery 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
- Saves and expands the cultural venues.
- Adds more eatery space (and with a balcony-sidewalk, no less).
- Rejuvenates the Mall.
- Plays nice with the viewcone/shading policies.
- Looks incredibly badass.

All in all, this is a win-win for everybody.
I'll have to disagree with you on 'looks incredibly badass' - otherwise we're on the same page.

I wonder how it's going to work out with music venues at ground level. The Red Room is at the bottom of an office tower and they're not allowed to have bands even load in their gear until 6pm (elsewhere it would usually happen sometime in the afternoon). There will also need to be good dampners installed to limit sound vibration from affecting stock in the new retail / restaurant space being built for this.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 4:59 AM

I think the designer fell asleep when he/she got to the upper portion of the building.

Let me know when the entire thing is multiple 16k Video feeds. That way they could change the look of the building as the cov rotates it's monkeys.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 6:43 AM

They'll call it the sideways Origami Tower

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 7:26 AM

Looks overbearing, so the City will probably require it to be broken up.

The fins add to the monolithic nature when viewed on an angle.
I would prefer dark glass (without fins) to recede into the night sky if office lights are off.
ie use the same glass and detailing as 402 Dunsmuir (without the trendy angled facades) and that would work for me.
That would also contrast with the aluminum fins on the former Sears kitty corner - the proposed fins may be matchy-matchy to the Microsoft / former Sears facade.

Uses and preservation all sound good!

You can see the same design principles at work (to differentiate the old and new) as at the Waterfront Icepick proposal - apart from the fins. I think you can also do the same with dark glass.

Last edited by officedweller; Jan 8, 2021 at 8:00 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver