HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Yep, this major step is done. A unanimous vote of support, with a couple minor amendments to explore creating more affordable housing.

Dominato, Fry, and Zhou used particularly strong language in their reasons for support.

Next up, an official development plan will need to be approved, which is expected to reach city council next year.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 2:20 AM

great news, glad to see it get the go-ahead.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 3:47 AM

Great news!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 7:16 AM
dazzle me

Congratulations. Could still use a lot more density, but definitely noteworthy.

I wonder if this has any effect on the UBC rail extension.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
Congratulations. Could still use a lot more density, but definitely noteworthy.

I wonder if this has any effect on the UBC rail extension.
Well it could only add a positive push for it to be built, that’s for sure.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 4:52 PM

I'm sure the nimbys now realize that if they can kill the UBC extension they can stop much of the density planned for the Jericho Lands. The stakes are higher for both sides now.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
Yep, this major step is done. A unanimous vote of support, with a couple minor amendments to explore creating more affordable housing.

Dominato, Fry, and Zhou used particularly strong language in their reasons for support.

Next up, an official development plan will need to be approved, which is expected to reach city council next year.
Can people stop calling ABC NIMBYs now? They have their issues but please get the story straight.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 9:15 PM

I wrote in in support of this project, and received a response from council. Something I found interesting:

Following Council’s approval of the Policy Statement, staff will prepare the Official Development Plan for the future redevelopment of the site, which will take place in phases over the next 25-30 years. In parallel, staff will also begin working with the landowners on the rezoning of the first phase of development.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, they won't be waiting for the official development plan before they start the rezoning process, and they'll be kicking that off very soon.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Kid View Post
I wrote in in support of this project, and received a response from council. Something I found interesting:

Following Council’s approval of the Policy Statement, staff will prepare the Official Development Plan for the future redevelopment of the site, which will take place in phases over the next 25-30 years. In parallel, staff will also begin working with the landowners on the rezoning of the first phase of development.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, they won't be waiting for the official development plan before they start the rezoning process, and they'll be kicking that off very soon.
I guess the Policy Statement is the basis of the Official Development Plan so they probably have enough guidance to proceed.

From a Globe & Mail article about the Jericho Lands:

Quote:
Once the policy statement is approved, the first phase of rezoning will begin, including an official development plan. That plan will take about six months to complete and will also go before the council.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/real...d-green-space/

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Kid View Post

Whoa ya this seems completely different than say Heather Lands. Very... expeditious

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Whoa ya this seems completely different than say Heather Lands. Very... expeditious
Agreed. And Heather seemed much less ambitious. Anybody know what the latest is over there?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 12:56 AM

Quote:
I guess the Policy Statement is the basis of the Official Development Plan so they probably have enough guidance to proceed.

Great! I thought things would take a fair bit longer, but it seems like they're going to move quickly with Phase 1.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 1:01 AM

the one from the development side was on the radio the other day talking about the project just before the hearing and one of the things I thought was funny was he said paraphrasing here that the nimbys were using as a point that there weren't enough low-income rentals in the overall project, lol like they want poor people at all in their neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the one from the development side was on the radio the other day talking about the project just before the hearing and one of the things I thought was funny was he said paraphrasing here that the nimbys were using as a point that there weren't enough low-income rentals in the overall project, lol like they want poor people at all in their neighborhood.
Not to mention this group of folks reduced the size and unit count of two below-market buildings (MIRHHP) that were no taller than 6-stories!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 2:01 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised to see shovels in the ground at some point in 2026, but we'll have to wait to see if time proves me right.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2024, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see shovels in the ground at some point in 2026, but we'll have to wait to see if time proves me right.
That would be very optimistically quick for a project of this magnitude but if the full build-out is going to take decades, better to start sooner than later.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 5:03 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
That would be very optimistically quick for a project of this magnitude but if the full build-out is going to take decades, better to start sooner than later.
Having the go-ahead to put shovels in the ground is one thing. Being confident enough that the UBCx will be finished around when residents would be moving in, which is needed for a development of this scale, is another.

If shovels are to be in the ground by 2026 with the first residents moving in around 2030, I suspect a UBCx announcement would have had to be made in the next year or so.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
Having the go-ahead to put shovels in the ground is one thing. Being confident enough that the UBCx will be finished around when residents would be moving in, which is needed for a development of this scale, is another.

If shovels are to be in the ground by 2026 with the first residents moving in around 2030, I suspect a UBCx announcement would have had to be made in the next year or so.
UBC SkyTrain business case will be finished this December. If all goes well, RFQs for preliminary design could be issued by the end of 2025.

If I were the Province I would be pushing for federal commitment by 2025 the latest. I am not sure that a Poilievre government will be funding much transit at all.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcitywhenfinished View Post
UBC SkyTrain business case will be finished this December. If all goes well, RFQs for preliminary design could be issued by the end of 2025.

If I were the Province I would be pushing for federal commitment by 2025 the latest. I am not sure that a Poilievre government will be funding much transit at all.
Seems like dumping money into transit is pretty across the boards the accepted mantra. If anything they'll probably be more pro development though maybe more market based. I mean if you believe it will happen or not is another question.

Quote:
During his 2022 leadership campaign, Poilievre said he would require big cities such as Toronto and Vancouver to boost housing construction by 15 per cent, or force them to face cuts to infrastructure grants, used by municipalities to fund such projects as transit systems, community services and outdoor spaces.

Tying federal dollars to housing results has become central to Poilievre’s housing pitch as official Opposition leader too.

More recently, he said a Conservative government would only support transit projects that include high-density zoning around transit stations.
https://www.vicnews.com/national-new...-stick-1717808

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 6:26 PM

Force municipalities to boost housing construction. Such a naive fool. You can require municipalities to rezone for more density, etc. You cannt require them to boost construction which is market dependent. Are municipalities going to force developers to build even if current market conditions make it unfeasible and unprofitable? Embarrassing

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver