HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

700 West Eighth Tower I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 1:17 PM

I love the details on Henriquez buildings, they are always just spot on. They really propel his buildings from Bs into As.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 6:27 AM

From the Cambie bridge:

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 5:36 AM
BANNED

The white metal railings on the side are for a living wall

There are some white metal railings going up on the building, I thought that was scaffolding for them to paint but unfortunately there's going to be a living wall. Oh no, that's not going to be a good thing, I like it the way it is without the yucky living greenery on the side of the building. I can imagine how much in maintenance that's going to be and the moss and bugs and spiders...eww.. Hope they decide to foregoo the greenery and leave it the way it is, so thumbs up now, but down if there's moss.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 6:44 AM

there's nothing wrong with bugs or moss or spiders. bring on the green walls

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 1:37 AM

Laneway, mid block 8th ave:

From under the Cambie bridge:

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 1:40 AM

My photos, today:

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 2:29 AM

Thanks for the pics - looks great! I wish more projects had similar variation in form and color. The liberal use of setbacks also turned out well.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 2:27 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Project has been completed for a bit now and is occupied.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 7:28 PM

It will be interesting to check in on this project from time to time over the next couple of years to see how the trellis system and climbing greenery fares. I understand that Henriquez and Partners refined the system after the installation at Woodwards under-performed. Thank goodness that they invested in the intricately-designed red metal trellis system that stands out as being architecturally significant even without the greenery. Based on the last round of photos of 700 West 8th, the trellis does not seem to be as integral to the design of the building, but the green-on-white contrast of successful climbing greenery will stand out more than the green-on-red of Woodwards.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 11:42 PM

It may be more a function of the plants chosen - although narrow spindles around which tendrils can grab would help a lot.

The black steel louvred screens at Yaletown Park are not successful (it should have been obvious from the start to any gardener) and there are some wires strung up on them now. The choice of Passion Flowers may also not have been the best for vigorous growth.

At the Cambie & Nelson corner of Waterworks' podium the pilasters have steel frames up top with vines on them - some of them used to have massive growth (but they were deciduous and would lose their leaves over winter) - although i haven't checked recently.

Vines would probably grow better on a concrete wall - like the ones on the grooved wall on the 6th Ave. side of Canadian Tire/Best Buy.

There are a number of vines planted on the alley side of L'Atelier - it'll be interesting to see if those grow well (i.e. minimal effort expended on that one)

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 4:14 PM

Any SSP people living in this complex?

Considered it but the website sure is light on information, such as are there any amenities in this project?

How's the fit/finish so far? Worth the premium?

Also, most listings are for inferior units, asking far more than what they paid for them. I'm not going to reward that foolishness.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 9:40 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Fit and Finish are on the upper end, but I'm not the best person to ask...
The only amenity is a small gym, that and extensive landscaping.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Fit and Finish are on the upper end, but I'm not the best person to ask...
The only amenity is a small gym, that and extensive landscaping.
Thanks for the into. Only a small gym... there's so much poor space at/near grade with the Holiday Inn that one would think that would be a good place to round out this mid/upper end project with some respectable amenities.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 3:55 PM

Wow... went by this project, and I am appalled at the tiny appliances! High-end European is nice and all, but when I've seen larger freezers inside bar fridges, this project earns a full WTF from me. I think the Sub Zero fridges at the Westin in Whistler are larger than at this project.

And for the marketing team, "this is the same even in the penthouses" isn't a marketing feature. It says we cheaped out equally on all the units.

And so what if the developer is using the same sized appliances in its other projects! Repeating the same mistakes isn't a marketing feature in my books.

Would be interesting to see how many people tear these things out (with their custom millwork, by the way) and put in practical appliances.

Oddly enough, the dishwashers are full-sized, and the kitchen sinks are the size of utility sinks. You could wash a full size dog in the kitchen sink.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 9:12 PM
ON3P Skis

24" fridges and ovens are unfortunately very common these days. They call them "european". The fridges don't bother me as much as the ovens do. They look pretty useless to me.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
24" fridges and ovens are unfortunately very common these days. They call them "european". The fridges don't bother me as much as the ovens do. They look pretty useless to me.
I seriously think I've seen larger microwave ovens than these Euro ovens they put in.

They could have done right, and put in regular sized upper-end products and ditched the Euro pretention. Instead, a great bid heaping bowl of not-good.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 12:29 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Don't knock it you can fit a lot of stuff in the freezer and a 28lb turkey fits in the oven just fine.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 7:51 AM
BANNED

700 West 8th Fridges & Crows...

I have to agree about the Fridges they aren't that great, I mean the handles on the fridges are so thin they are meant for small lady hands to open. Fridge is a bit small but hey, your not going to need a huge fridge for a body or anything so it should be adequate enough for small meats and veggies....and even a few cans of beer.

The big problem is the crows. They have put up some pathetic greenery on the sides of the buildings that have attracted crows that are extremely annoying and loud. Also what's up with the common area gym is tiny and there's some land in their courtyard that looks like wasted space (social housing must be on the 3rd level but if there's kids playing it could get noisy from the echo). There's a few units for sale (guessing that a few owners are trying to sell) although it looks like major price reductions are in the works as nobody is buying right now and the market is in a downward spiral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I seriously think I've seen larger microwave ovens than these Euro ovens they put in.

They could have done right, and put in regular sized upper-end products and ditched the Euro pretention. Instead, a great bid heaping bowl of not-good.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 2:56 PM

There are 6 units listed for sale on MLS. Pricing is around $750 / SF.

I would love to live in this location, but there are some pretty awful floorplans in this building - and these are the units that are or will likely be available at a reasonable price.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_lantern View Post
I have to agree about the Fridges they aren't that great, I mean the handles on the fridges are so thin they are meant for small lady hands to open. Fridge is a bit small but hey, your not going to need a huge fridge for a body or anything so it should be adequate enough for small meats and veggies....and even a few cans of beer.

The big problem is the crows. They have put up some pathetic greenery on the sides of the buildings that have attracted crows that are extremely annoying and loud. Also what's up with the common area gym is tiny and there's some land in their courtyard that looks like wasted space (social housing must be on the 3rd level but if there's kids playing it could get noisy from the echo). There's a few units for sale (guessing that a few owners are trying to sell) although it looks like major price reductions are in the works as nobody is buying right now and the market is in a downward spiral.
Crow problem? Wow... had no idea. That's gonna be messy. Do you live in the building or in the area, perhaps?

And sorry, but in an "upper end" project like this, a fridge only big enough to serve the needs of a first year college student is beyond belief.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver