HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 11:17 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

The Southern US States would gladly sell their daughters and mortgage their fathers for HQ's and jobs. They lack quality IT talent unlike Canada. Should be an interesting competition, but the odds are not in our favour.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 11:22 PM

Toronto is the only Canadian city with a outside shot. My guess would be Dallas or Atlanta. Lower chance for Washington or somewhere around there.

Dallas and Atlanta have the talent, low cost of living, and other headquarters to poach from.

Amazon stressed low cost of living...

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Toronto is the only Canadian city with a outside shot. My guess would be Dallas or Atlanta. Lower chance for Washington or somewhere around there.

Dallas and Atlanta have the talent, low cost of living, and other headquarters to poach from.

Amazon stressed low cost of living...
Montréal would win in Canada for the low cost of living .

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Montréal would win in Canada for the low cost of living .
And score good points for infrastructure, connectivity and talent as well, but unfortunately it's probably not realistically in the running. A branch office is one thing but a Seattle based company setting up a co-headquarters in the only large francophone city on the continent is extremely unlikely.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 11:48 PM

Realistically a U.S city on the east coast will likely get it. If I had to bet, Austin and Dallas would definitely be front runners as well as Atlanta, Boston, D.C. suburbs. All these cities have strong incentives to offer Amazon (whether it be logistical, cost of living, education etc.) and the current political climate will ensure that Amazon will select an American city.

With that being said, Toronto has the best outside shot. But I really think Ottawa should consider throwing in a bid, because landing something of this magnitude would be a game changer. Ottawa has arguably one of the strongest tech sectors in Canada, many large tech companies have a presence there, and Ottawa has bred some successful startups (Shopify being the best example) which leads to a welcoming environment. Cost of living is fair and logistically it wouldnt be a bad location. Obviously they would be a long shot, but from my point of view, it makes sense.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:02 AM
I am the law!

Ottawa is too small.

They have small offices in both Toronto and Vancouver (~150,000 expanding to ~300,000 square feet) They have 800,000 square feet of distribution in Vancouver and 2.2 million in Toronto. Toronto lost to Montreal on the cloud data centre.

None of these remotely compare to a head office estimated to be around 8 million square feet at build out but, these 3 probably represent the only possibility of a Canadian city miraculously been chosen over a state government's incentives.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:09 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Boston seems like the logical choice. East coast. Close to NYC, but cheaper. Amazing universities to pull from.

If they decided on Canada, yeah, it wouldn't be Vancouver. I think Vancouver is too close to Seattle and too small to take on a company looking for 50000 employees. There would be an insane shortage of workers.

Toronto would probably fit the bill for them in Canada.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:18 AM
I am the law!

Pretty sure they're a couple abandoned, state of the art, campuses around New England that the state government would bend over backwards to fill. Chicago would be my guess. Some of those abandoned, state subsidized, corporate campuses exist in Illinois as well.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Ottawa is too small.

They have small offices in both Toronto and Vancouver (~150,000 expanding to ~300,000 square feet) They have 800,000 square feet of distribution in Vancouver and 2.2 million in Toronto. Toronto lost to Montreal on the cloud data centre.

None of these remotely compare to a head office estimated to be around 8 million square feet at build out but, these 3 probably represent the only possibility of a Canadian city miraculously been chosen over a state government's incentives.
I was thinking that Ottawa should go for it too. Bilingual, highly educated work force, low cost of living, excellent quality of life for employees.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:27 AM
More transit please

Someone on mtlurb pointed out there should at least be a direct flight between the chosen city and Seattle. Which eliminates every canadian city except TO and Vancouver, but we've already established that Vancouver doesn't make sense.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:31 AM

I think it would create some MAGA nonsense backlash if they went outside the U.S..... they will be under a lot of pressure to keep it stateside imo...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
I'd say that Toronto is the only Canadian city that has a good shot at it.
I would agree, Toronto has the best shot for CAN. But my guess is that the US will win. Somewhere in the Eastern timezone. Im going to guess Philly, Pittsburg, Detroit, NYC, Cleveland, Atlanta, maybe Chicago? or somewhere else. Who knows.

Last edited by travis3000; Sep 8, 2017 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:51 AM

This new Amazon hub will go to whatever Government(s) offers the biggest subsidy package. Amazon's approach to peddle this out there in the public is disgusting as you are going have many cities burn through hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars in putting due diligence and bid packages with consultants to try and lure Amazon to their back yard.

To figure out where Amazon will go just narrow down the list to Governments that would be willing to sell out billions in subsidies to Amazon. Large players like Dallas and Atlanta don't need Amazon as much as many would think, a starving city like Detroit with a emboldened Star Government though could easily roll out an extensive subsidy package to lure Amazon. By default, a Detroit Amazon hub would have spillover into Windsor which would benefit indirectly.

In Canada, Ontario would happily roll out subsidies as they have done similar to Oracle for example, providing a seven figure subsidy per employee to lure Oracle to produce a major employment hub here in the Province.

Montreal is a non starter with the French - Americans don't understand it (Quebec French Laws), and won't want to learn to understand it. You just need one ignorant Amazon executive to not understand why they speak both languages in Montreal but can only do business in French.

My bet is some place rust belt. Bezos personally has an obsession with replacing old industry and no better way to do that then planting a flat in the middle of America's former economic heart. Plus many of those Governments in the region would be willing to sell there souls and future generations for Amazon to come set up shop.

So likely ...

Detroit
Rust Belt (Pittsburgh)
California

-Wild Cards-
North Carolina
Toronto

-Long Shots-
Vegas
Arizona

Edit...

Folks are humming that Toronto has a shot as a way for Bezos to stick it to Trump as Canada will have more favorable migrant worker laws than the USA will in the near future. The political fallout on both sides wouldn't be pretty though as I am sure the WH would try to ding Amazon for relocating so many jobs outside of the USA.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:54 AM

I'm with those that say Atlanta - Canada has no chance - we can't afford to subsidize what the US cities and states can offer

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
This new Amazon hub will go to whatever Government(s) offers the biggest subsidy package. Amazon's approach to peddle this out there in the public is disgusting as you are going have many cities burn through hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars in putting due diligence and bid packages with consultants to try and lure Amazon to their back yard.

To figure out where Amazon will go just narrow down the list to Governments that would be willing to sell out billions in subsidies to Amazon. Large players like Dallas and Atlanta don't need Amazon as much as many would think, a starving city like Detroit with a emboldened Star Government though could easily roll out an extensive subsidy package to lure Amazon. By default, a Detroit Amazon hub would have spillover into Windsor which would benefit indirectly.

In Canada, Ontario would happily roll out subsidies as they have done similar to Oracle for example, providing a seven figure subsidy per employee to lure Oracle to produce a major employment hub here in the Province.

Montreal is a non starter with the French - Americans don't understand it (Quebec French Laws), and won't want to learn to understand it. You just need one ignorant Amazon executive to not understand why they speak both languages in Montreal but can only do business in French.

My bet is some place rust belt. Bezos personally has an obsession with replacing old industry and no better way to do that then planting a flat in the middle of America's former economic heart. Plus many of those Governments in the region would be willing to sell there souls and future generations for Amazon to come set up shop.

So likely ...

Detroit
Rust Belt (Pittsburgh)
California

-Wild Cards-
North Carolina
Toronto

-Long Shots-
Vegas
Arizona

Edit...

Folks are humming that Toronto has a shot as a way for Bezos to stick it to Trump as Canada will have more favorable migrant worker laws than the USA will in the near future. The political fallout on both sides wouldn't be pretty though as I am sure the WH would try to ding Amazon for relocating so many jobs outside of the USA.
Amazon is already in Montréal. They know how Montréal works.
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...s-than-ontario

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:59 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
I'm with those that say Atlanta - Canada has no chance - we can't afford to subsidize what the US cities and states can offer
That depends if (federal) Ottawa wants to get involved.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Amazon is already in Montréal. They know how Montréal works.
Local office/distribution centre is different from HQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Tor, NYC, MTL...
that's cute

No subsidy will be big enough to offset the language issue. Only Toronto has a chance

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
^^Local office/distribution centre is different from HQ

that's cute
http://fortune.com/2017/09/07/amazon...ada-or-mexico/

Quote:
They all have their draws: Montreal, for example, is a hotbed of research in artificial intelligence, a field of great importance to Amazon (AMZN, +1.25%). Toronto is a world-class, diverse city on Lake Ontario. And it is, for the record, already in the race, according to The Star. Halifax, Vancouver and Ottawa are also interested, according to the CBC. Whether Amazon would consider a city as close to Seattle as Vancouver is an open question. Presumably, one reason to create another headquarters would be to create some geographic (and time zone) diversity.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
I would agree, Toronto has the best shot for CAN. But my guess is that the US will win. Somewhere in the Eastern timezone. Im going to guess Philly, Pittsburg, Detroit, NYC, Cleveland, Atlanta, maybe Chicago? or somewhere else. Who knows.
Boston, NYC, DC are too expensive.

I would bet it's going to be in the following list: Philly, Chicago, and if not in the Midwest, then Atlanta, Raleigh-Durham.

Less likely but still contenders IMO, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, and outside the Midwest, Dallas, Austin.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:48 AM

Also, it's funny how much discussion they've generated with this announcement which at this point is barely more than hot air. Now they're having cities tripping over themselves to beg them to choose them...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada