HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 7:32 PM

Thanks all! I'll report back once the trip is over

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
All things considered, you probably can't go wrong with Tide and Boar. Make sure you get a table on the ground floor, the lower level is much less appealing.

Welcome and have fun!
My wife and I and a couple of friends sat downstairs at the Tide and Boar on the weekend. We all think it's great. It's the same food and beer, but a heck of a lot less crowded and much quieter.

Don't forget the Laundromat on St. George if you are looking for beer!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post

Don't forget the Laundromat on St. George if you are looking for beer!

What he said ^^^^^. The place is not much to look at, but man do they ever have the most extensive selection of micro-brews.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
It's the same food and beer, but a heck of a lot less crowded and much quieter.
All depends on what you're looking for I guess.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 11:36 AM

Une entreprise américaine veut construire des wagons-citernes à Moncton

Quote:
EXCLUSIF - Radio-Canada a appris que la compagnie ARS Canada Rolling Stock, qui a son siège social en Floride aux États-Unis, a l'intention de construire des centaines de wagons-citernes à Moncton.

La compagnie américaine veut construire, entre autres, des wagons de type TC-117 destinés à transporter du pétrole.

L'entreprise a fait l'acquisition en 2015 de l'ancienne usine Industrial Rail Services située à côté du parc industriel de Moncton. Le lieu est tout indiqué étant donné qu'on y faisait déjà la remise à neuf de wagons pour Via Rail.

ARS Canada Rolling Stock devrait commencer à construire les wagons-citernes TC-117 au milieu de 2017. L'entreprise assemblera également des wagons à grains et de marchandises.

La compagnie prévoit assembler 1500 wagons pour débuter. Les wagons seront destinés aux marchés canadien et américain.
Quote:
Moncton a une longue histoire ferroviaire. La ville a longtemps été une plaque tournante pour la réparation des locomotives et des wagons de marchandise du Canadien National.

La nouvelle usine d'assemblage de wagons créera 200 emplois dans une première phase : des mécaniciens industriels, des soudeurs et des peintres, ARS Canada Rolling Stock prévoit atteindre 450 emplois après 3 ans et plus de 700 après 5 ans.

Plusieurs de ces emplois sont d'ailleurs déjà affichés sur le site internet de l'entreprise. Des travaux de rénovation sont présentement en cours à l'usine.
http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/a...runswick.shtml

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 12:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Up to 700 new jobs after five years - that's huge!!

Lots of high skill trades positions too. That should be a good payroll.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 12:47 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Up to 700 new jobs after five years - that's huge!!

Lots of high skill trades positions too. That should be a good payroll.
Nice!

I'll add to the ongoing list with some updates

WestJet Call Center: 400
- This is happening for sure, they are training waves of folks now from a training center downtown before they are sent a kit of supplies to set up their homes.

Organigram: between 113 - 300
- This is ongoing and hiring will escalate as crops build. Of course the high end figure will depend on new laws passing I believe.

BMM Testlabs: up to 1000
- They are still operating out of their office in Dieppe
- They are training folks at local colleges prior to ramping up

TD Bank Call Center: ???
- havent heard any updates on this for a while...Erick?

ARS Canada Rolling Stock: up to 700
- Just announced today.

That's a pretty good lineup, well rounded with trades, technology, and "agri" based jobs...if all these projections maxed out it would be 2,400 direct jobs (not including TD as I don't know any numbers).

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 12:58 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Further to the above - here's the (belated) English CBC article on this development:

Moncton lands new rail car manufacturing plant
ARS Canada Rolling Stock will build rail cars at old Hump Yard, employ up to 700
By Tori Weldon, CBC News Posted: Sep 29, 2016 4:09 PM AT
Last Updated: Sep 29, 2016 4:09 PM AT

Radio-Canada reports Miami-based ARS Canada Rolling Stock plans to start production of grain hoppers, box cars and TC-117 rail cars in Moncton, saying it will create 200 jobs in the first phase of production.

TC-117 rail cars will replace the DOT-111s which were involved in the 2013 Lac-Mégantic disaster, and are being phased out of use by Nov. 1 because of regulations imposed by Transport Canada.

ARS Canada Rolling Stock CEO Arturo Contreras said Moncton was the company's choice to start Canadian production because of its history as a rail town.

"It has plenty of advantages in terms of logistics, the available skill traits and the very friendly business environment provided by the province that basically led us to decide to start our venture in New Brunswick," said Contreras.

"Saint John and Belledune offer excellent possibilities for logistics involved for the order supply chain and as important as that is, we chose the Moncton shop because it's a CN hub, which is a class one railroad [allowing] us to connect anywhere in North America once our cars are ready to deliver," he said.

The company plans to produce 1,500 rail cars to be used in the Canadian and U.S. markets within the first year of production.

Contreras said the assembly plant will create 200 jobs in the first phase, including welders, mechanics and general labourers.

Many positions are already posted on the company's web site and he hopes to increase the number of employees to 450 after three years and to more than 700 after five years.

Contreras told CBC details of its agreement with the Gallant government to bring ARS to Moncton will be revealed at an announcement in October.

full article:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...jobs-1.3784247

Personal note:

- I guess Moncton is still a railway town after all! If this all pans out, and with the residual CNR offices in the city and the hump yard, the railway legacy of our city should be secure, for a while at least.

- The need for the new TC-117 tanker cars for oil transport should provide secure work for this facility for years, but I'm glad to see that they will be producing other types of rail cars as well.

- I certainly am happy to see the addition of some high paying trades jobs to the local economy.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Sep 30, 2016 at 1:31 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 1:02 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
TD Bank Call Center: ???
- havent heard any updates on this for a while...Erick?
I believe the back office centre was to be for TD Insurance. I'm sure we're talking about hundreds of jobs, but there has been no formal announcement of this. I believe Erick though, he works in the industry in SJ.

If that pans out, that means about 3,000 new jobs in the next 3-5 years. Even with a 2X multiplier effect (which is conservative) that should bring 6,000 jobs to the economy, which might mean another 12-15,000 people to the metro area.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 1:17 AM

Quote:
I believe the back office centre was to be for TD Insurance. I'm sure we're talking about hundreds of jobs, but there has been no formal announcement of this. I believe Erick though, he works in the industry in SJ.
Well, the rumor at work is that TD Bank is planing to bring a line of service back to Canada, and Moncton is being considered due to bilingual workforce.

It is still up in the air although the last time this kind of rumor was floating around, 275 jobs were created in SJ

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Sep 30, 2016 at 1:27 AM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 11:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting StatsCan map showing growth in the Moncton CMA over the last 40 years.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 12:50 PM

Moncton City Council has given tentative approval to a five-year capital budget value

Times & Transcript

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 1:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The new police HQ keeps getting punted down the road (2019 now), but I suppose they want to get the events centre out of the way with first......

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 3:04 PM

Quote:

The new police HQ keeps getting punted down the road (2019 now), but I suppose they want to get the events centre out of the way with first......
One thing about that is atleast we know the HQ is going to get built, no matter if it's next year or 2021.. all I am hoping for is that they. Hold it right at the bottom of the new Downing Street.. I think honestly it would be a great fit for downing and it would give that street an extra sense of safety.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 2:20 PM

Moncton update: I loved the city. Really thought downtown was beautiful Ended up at the Tide and Boar pretty much every day since they've apparently started brewing their own (amazing) beer. Hope to be back again someday

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 2:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

You should come back in a few years. With 55 Queen (including another brew pub), Downing Street Phase Two, the events centre and the Junction Urban Village projects on the go, you won't be able to recognize the place.

I hope all the road construction didn't give you too much grief......

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 3:12 PM

Quote:

You should come back in a few years. With 55 Queen (including another brew pub), Downing Street Phase Two, the events centre and the Junction Urban Village projects on the go, you won't be able to recognize the place.

I hope all the road construction didn't give you too much grief......
Didn't actually see much I can't complain though, for the past month St. John's has been doing construction on the perimeter highway and the main thoroughfares through the city all at once, right in the middle of rush hour.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 12:07 PM

Seem to be New schools in the works for the Anglophone East Students. The new School that is only in the talking phase currently would be to replace Bessborough since it seems renovations to that school would fall in the 15 million+ range, and that does not cover potential expansion that would be needed.

A second option on the table would be to add Hillcrest School to the calculations but that school is also in need of major repairs.

This would potentially be the perfect situation for a prefab school structure to come into play since we keep growing, and need New Schools built, and not only to replace the old ones either.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 2:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

We don't need prefab schools. On the contrary, we need durable school buildings that can last 100 years or more.

Schools are important anchors for neighbourhoods. They help to give a community a focal point and a meeting place. They shouldn't be disposable.

Having said this, I'm not adverse to combining Hillcrest and Bessborough. The enrolment at Hillcrest is pretty small and could be accommodate by a modest expansion at Bessborough.

It's hard for me to believe that Bessborough needs replacing. It's actually one of the more modern looking anglophone schools in the older part of Moncton. It's also got a perfect location at the centre of the New West End. In order to find the land necessary to build a replacement school, they would have to look further afield. I would hate to see a reprise of the Moncton High School fiasco......

Pur my vote down for a refurbishment (and a minor expansion) of Bessborough, and the closure of Hillcrest.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 4:07 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:

We don't need prefab schools. On the contrary, we need durable school buildings that can last 100 years or more.

Schools are important anchors for neighbourhoods. They help to give a community a focal point and a meeting place. They shouldn't be disposable.

Having said this, I'm not adverse to combining Hillcrest and Bessborough. The enrolment at Hillcrest is pretty small and could be accommodate by a modest expansion at Bessborough.

It's hard for me to believe that Bessborough needs replacing. It's actually one of the more modern looking anglophone schools in the older part of Moncton. It's also got a perfect location at the centre of the New West End. In order to find the land necessary to build a replacement school, they would have to look further afield. I would hate to see a reprise of the Moncton High School fiasco......

Pur my vote down for a refurbishment (and a minor expansion) of Bessborough, and the closure of Hillcrest.
There's a perfectly good piece of land out on the Hump Yard road that would be perfect for a new school to replace Hillcrest and Bessborough.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces