HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 12:15 PM

Since they've already long passed the deadline, I thought they legally had to restart the process. Shouldn't this extension have happened before the deadline was up? Just wondering as a layman.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Since they've already long passed the deadline, I thought they legally had to restart the process. Shouldn't this extension have happened before the deadline was up? Just wondering as a layman.
I'm hearing 2 stories here.

1. The deadline has been passed already.
2. The deadline still din't pass.

If it has passed yes they should have probably re-started negotiations as a new project, and not extended the deadline for an extra 3 years. With that said there may be factors at play that nobody knows. There could be a clause stating that if they filled for a deadline extension before September 1st they would not need to restart the process.

Something that caught me off guard with this Yesterday (Monday the 29th) all the radio stations who talked about it where saying the council vote would be today. But they voted Monday evening.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 1:10 AM

Something that caught me off guard with this Yesterday (Monday the 29th) all the radio stations who talked about it where saying the council vote would be today. But they voted Monday evening.[/QUOTE]
Not all, XL Country 96.9 was saying last night in their news package.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 4:15 PM

The new Shediac Municipal Operations Center has begun construction on Ohio Road.

Pictures here

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 4:57 PM

Don't recall this being posted.

Plans for waterfront condos on Riverside Dr in Shediac:

https://www.facebook.com/Waterfront-...4737296099390/

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 9:00 PM

I found out today that the Seagull Motel, and Restaurant in Shediac Bridge wants to replace there 5-2 bed cottages for a condo building. Not sure how big they want to build it but it sound like a large undertaken, and someone might be the lucky person to get themselves the 5 cottages to be moved of course.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 10:06 PM

Oceanic Campground is looking to expand to 800 sites, and adding more activities.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 1:48 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Indeed, it's quite an expansion.

Curent site plan:

New site plan after expansion:

Just to be crystal clear, this is not Victor Boudreau's controversial planned campground. Camping Oceanic is located on the Ohio Road, at the Parlee Beach exit off Route 15 to PEI.

The expansion includes:

1) - an increase in the number of serviced camping sites from 340 to 800.
2) - a new mini golf course at the front of the development right on Ohio Road. This will be a high quality mini golf course with water features (including waterfalls) longer putting surfaces and landscaping similar to the type of mini golf courses seen in the US. It will be the first one of it's kind in Atlantic Canada. It will be open to the general public.
3) - a "Picacho Ice Cream Shop", co-located with the mini golf course. This will also be open to the general public.
4) - a water park with a pool and water slides in the middle of the camping area
5) - tennis courts, a softball field and a new recreational building.

The overall investment in the expansion will be $7.2 million and will result in the largest campground in Atlantic Canada.

Victor Boudreau had better watch out, he might just have been outflanked by the expansion at Camping Oceanic. Will there be room for his development too?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 12:14 PM

As an avid camper (we have 3 trailers) the thought of camping in a campground with 800 sites could not be less appealing.

I'm sure this type of thing is great for some people. If you own a "Taj Mahal" on wheels, maybe this is exactly what you want. The lack of extra washroom/shower facilities is hopefully an oversight. Using the colour coding on the current site plan, these could be seasonal sites.

Call me crazy, but I enjoy peace and quiet when camping. A nice private site surrounded by trees with a campfire is perfect. That can't be possible in a place that size. I'll stick to Fundy, or some of the smaller campgrounds in the Maritimes and New England.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 3:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Points very well taken Gehrhardt, but I imagine that Camping Oceanic is not targeting wilderness campers with their expansion.

Given the proximity of Parlee Beach to this development, and with the included destination mini golf course and water park, I would imagine the owners are more in competition with Cavendish Beach and not Fundy Park.

The great thing about living in Moncton is that you get to pick and choose between either experience in only a 30-60 minute drive from the city.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Indeed, it's quite an expansion.

Curent site plan:

New site plan after expansion:

Just to be crystal clear, this is not Victor Boudreau's controversial planned campground. Camping Oceanic is located on the Ohio Road, at the Parlee Beach exit off Route 15 to PEI.

The expansion includes:

1) - an increase in the number of serviced camping sites from 340 to 800.
2) - a new mini golf course at the front of the development right on Ohio Road. This will be a high quality mini golf course with water features (including waterfalls) longer putting surfaces and landscaping similar to the type of mini golf courses seen in the US. It will be the first one of it's kind in Atlantic Canada. It will be open to the general public.
3) - a "Picacho Ice Cream Shop", co-located with the mini golf course. This will also be open to the general public.
4) - a water park with a pool and water slides in the middle of the camping area
5) - tennis courts, a softball field and a new recreational building.

The overall investment in the expansion will be $7.2 million and will result in the largest campground in Atlantic Canada.

Victor Boudreau had better watch out, he might just have been outflanked by the expansion at Camping Oceanic. Will there be room for his development too?
So people who have a second property in NB such as a camp or cottage have to pay an outrageous double tax on their "luxury" second property. As these massive campgrounds keep on expanding (and I assume very profitably) all of which put heavy demands on infra-structure and municipal or provincial services, do the people (or park owners) who rent these seasonal spaces pay a reasonable or fair amount of tax?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 12:01 PM

I believe they (EDIT: "they" being the campers.) pay no tax, themselves, as a cottage oowner or camp owner would pay.
Campgrounds are taxed partly based on each campground lot, if I understand correctly.
I stand to be corrected on the above two sentences. Please if I'm wrong someone correct me, but that is how I understand it.

In an amazing coincidence, the Liberal gov't has lowered the tax on campgrounds by an average of 40% earlier this year, just as the Boudreau project gets ready to lift off, saying they had been taxed wrongly in the past.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 12:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
In an amazing coincidence, the Liberal gov't has lowered the tax on campgrounds by an average of 40% earlier this year, just as the Boudreau project gets ready to lift off, saying they had been taxed wrongly in the past.
Gee, I wonder if Victor recused himself from this decision.

It didn't take long for a press release from the competing Shediac Campground group stating that they plan to begin construction next year too.

That will be well over 1000 new camp sites in Shediac opening in the next several years.

Personally, I would be concerned over what sort of human pressure all these bodies will place on the environment. Parlee Beach isn't that large of a beach, and Shediac Bay is already suffering from water quality issues. Has anyone considered the consequences of all this development????

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Personally, I would be concerned over what sort of human pressure all these bodies will place on the environment. Parlee Beach isn't that large of a beach, and Shediac Bay is already suffering from water quality issues. Has anyone considered the consequences of all this development????
As someone who lives on the outskirts of Shediac and who shops/eats/drives-through Shediac nearly daily... summer is already... Ugh. If I want to go to something on the far end of town (ie: Dairy Queen), I take Highway 15 around the town; it's much faster. It reminds me of the "glory days" of North Conway, NH in the summer: one big traffic jam.

And I rarely to go Parlee. Too many people. Aboiteau is better, though that is getting much busier too, lately. Cape Lumiere is looking pretty good...

FWIW, here's a map I made of Shediac with existing (red) and proposed (green) camp grounds:

Last edited by Nashe; Sep 29, 2016 at 1:09 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 1:20 PM

Quote:
I believe they (EDIT: "they" being the campers.) pay no tax, themselves, as a cottage oowner or camp owner would pay.
Campgrounds are taxed partly based on each campground lot, if I understand correctly.
I stand to be corrected on the above two sentences. Please if I'm wrong someone correct me, but that is how I understand it.
We ("we" being the campers) pay no property taxes, but we pay HST on our lot fees. As a seasonal camper in one of the Shediac camping, I pay more than 300$ per year in HST on my seasonal rate.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emad View Post
We ("we" being the campers) pay no property taxes, but we pay HST on our lot fees. As a seasonal camper in one of the Shediac camping, I pay more than 300$ per year in HST on my seasonal rate.
Heh heh, yeah I shudda said property tax. Had a brain fart.
Anyway, that's not insignificant HST for one camper in one season, especially once one considers all the thousands of campers in seasonal lots out there.
But no wonder cottagers are pissed off though, paying double property tax while the guy who parks his expensive camper in one place all year every year pays none.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 3:52 PM

Quote:

That is crazy, they lowered property taxes 40% for owners of campgrounds?! While they keep raising residential property taxes and the double tax if you own a second property. Does anyone know what department of government regulates campground parks? Are there regulations on the size of the lots? Number of entrances and exits for safety out of the park? Limits on how many total occupants? How septic is managed? etc. From simple observation over the years, they seem to run largely unregulated. I have to assume it is an extremely lucrative business or else there would not be this wild expansion going on in Shediac. Maybe the CBC should delve into this.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 4:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Especially with Victor in the provincial cabinet. It would seem to me that whether or not he has removed himself from day to day involvement with Camping Shediac, that a vote by the government to reduce property taxes by 40% would represent a huge potential conflict of interest.

Any investigative reporters out there???

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 4:20 PM

Before we get too outraged, is there proof of this tax cut? I looked up the assessment of the Oceanic campground and it has stayed steady for the past few years.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 6:23 PM

The cut is old news. Here's a newspaper story from May. While it doesn't state 40% in the story, an owner of a decent sized campground who is a friend tells me he expects that much of a savings.

Quote:
A property reclassification will mean lower tax bills for New Brunswick campground owners, according to the provincial government, but the decision has raised suspicions among operators.

Campgrounds will be reclassified to residential from non-residential.

"Service New Brunswick has made an internal policy decision to change the classification of campgrounds to a residential classification to be more in line with other recreational facilities in the province [like golf courses, ski hills]," SNB spokeswoman Bonnie Doyle Creber wrote Wednesday in an email.

"The residential classification should be a benefit to campground owners in that the tax levy will be calculated based on the lower residential tax rate rather than the non-residential tax rate."

"We'll take it," says Dave Maltais, owner of Camping Oceanic in Shediac, of the tax cut.

But campground owners remain suspicious.

Under Liberal premier Shawn Graham, New Brunswick explored the idea of taxing seasonal campers in addition to the campgrounds they used. For example, someone who maintains a camper as a permanent site in a campground would be deemed to have a secondary residence, and it would be taxed as such, at a rate approximately double that which homeowners pay on their principal residence.

Campground owners had feared this idea was being revived. Maltais said he has received assurances in writing from SNB's assessment branch that this is not the case and that seasonal campers will not be taxed individually.

SNB's Doyle Creber did not respond to a request to confirm this claim.

Maltais hopes that is, and will remain, the case as taxing individual campers would be a big blow to the industry due to the higher cost of camping. He said many campground owners remain leery, given the province is generally searching for new sources of revenue.

Campground owners have, however, yet to learn the impact of the change on their tax bills.

The tax cut will vary from one campground to the next as the reclassification applies only to the parts of a campground used for recreational purposes. For example, a campground canteen or laundromat would still be classified and taxed as non-residential property.

Owners are being asked by letter to provide SNB with their financial statements for the past three years, site plans of their campgrounds and other information within 30 days.

"Currently all campgrounds are classified as non-residential," the letter states. "In order to be consistent with other classes of recreation properties, all lands within campgrounds that are used for recreational use will be classified as residential. The exception will be those sections being utilized for the sale of goods or services."

The change takes effect for the 2017 taxation year.

Doyle Creber said the last time the province inspected campgrounds for taxation purposes was in 2003.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces