HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 4:39 PM

Does anyone know what became of the Shadyside project at The intersection of Baum and Liberty? I believe Armstrong was the developer.

Image credit: Strada Architecture

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 11:44 AM

The developers just went before the zoning board for approval of a hotel along Baum:

http://triblive.com/home/1601057-74/...e-seller-homes

Quote:
The board will be asked to approve height and continuation of non-conforming accessary parking unit variances for a 130-room hotel at 5315 Baum Blvd., Bloomfield, site of former Don Allen showroom.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 1:26 PM
B-MORE than u strive for!

^^^^great updates! Keep up the good work, Pittsburgh!

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 11:19 PM

Didn't take any pics as there wasn't any discernible structural additions since the last time I took a pic, but they put up a bunch of new banners on the fencing around Lot 24. (Basically advertisements to rent.) Also included where to find their web presence:

http://www.lot24inthestrip.com/
http://www.facebook.com/lot24
etc.

Units will range from $880 (468 sq. ft.) to $2060 (1101 sq. ft.) per month. Though there are a couple units that are larger in square footage but slightly cheaper. The website includes floor plans too.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 11:22 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Man, that development at Baum and Liberty looks pretty sweet! It almost resembles something from a European city.There's already a Courtyard by Marriott across the street from that proposed hotel. Hopefully the design will not be of the generic cookie-cutter type like you see in the suburban areas. This part of the city has some unique architecture, and I'd like to see this fit in with the surroundings.

Of course, what is there now is schlock at best... if anything at all...

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 11:24 PM

Europe isn't exactly what comes to mind when I see that Baum/Centre rendering. More like South Side Works.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 11:34 PM

Looks like Oxford Development has something planned for the former Frank & Seder Department Store (or the land it sits on), but details won't be available until Thursday:

Oxford Development to debut plan Downtown - Pittsburgh Business Times

350 fifth avenue pittsburgh - Google Maps

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Europe isn't exactly what comes to mind when I see that Baum/Centre rendering. More like South Side Works.
I like the mass and the height and the cleaner, more contempoary lines of the proposed renderings for the Baum/Liberty site (probably moot by now since most likely will not happen). But I don't think I'd miss those pointless, arbitrary finials and spaceship fins stuck on the tops of the corners. Now that is so South Side Works and so 10 years ago.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Looks like Oxford Development has something planned for the former Frank & Seder Department Store (or the land it sits on), but details won't be available until Thursday:

Oxford Development to debut plan Downtown - Pittsburgh Business Times

350 fifth avenue pittsburgh - Google Maps
That building must have some type of landmark status, right? So it must mean some kind of refurbish and maybe converting the upper floors into lofts or apartments? And hopefully with some improved retail options at ground level than Quiznos and Payless Shoes.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minivan Werner View Post
That building must have some type of landmark status, right?
Not to my knowledge--it wasn't on the PHLF or City lists I just checked, nor as far as I could tell in the National Register.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 1:24 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Agreed, but a development like South Side Works would be just fine over there IMO...

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 2:04 AM

Filling the Baum/Liberty area up with six-story buildings would be sweet--it would definitely create another little "town center".

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 2:53 AM

I'm just so sick of those stupid rounded cuppola things that architects always seem to reach for with these projects. Hell, just put a square corner on the thing or something. I don't know...it's so beaten to death.

With that said, yes, the density and scale of that project is perfect, and I hope the gaps continue to be filled up like that slowly.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 5:51 AM

Some more info about the new Oxford proposal:

"While few details were available Monday, Oxford, according to sources, intends to market the site for a new office tower totaling as much as 30 stories tall and some 600,000 square feet."
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...wn-636984/?p=0

Plan B seems to be to refurbish the existing building.

Last edited by PITairport; May 22, 2012 at 6:10 AM.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
Some more info about the new Oxford development:

"While few details were available Monday, Oxford, according to sources, intends to market the site for a new office tower totaling as much as 30 stories tall and some 600,000 square feet."
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...wn-636984/?p=0

Plan B seems to be to refurbish the existing building.
Sounds like Oxford may be sending out a trial balloon to see if they can attract any major, large-scale tenant interest with a splashy announcement this week.

The fact that downtown class A space is down to an almost unprecedented (in recent years) 6.9% vacancy rate in a recovering economy in a city with a surging meds-eds & energy sector would lead one to believe that this project could actually happen and that more developers are looking at similar ventures. Not to mention that the avg lease rate has been steadily creeping up making a project of this sort more viable.

Oxford has been poking around for a bit looking at different projects and they clearly have a long track record. We'll have to wait until Thursday to see what they have in mind.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 10:10 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Just when I thought I'd be the first one to break the news on here, I see others beat me to the punch by several hours! Frankly, whether they build a new tower or just renovate the hell out of the current building to bring it up to standard and fill it up, it's a win-win for Pittsburgh!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 11:11 AM

It is too bad that particular building is ill-suited for a residential conversion--it would be in a great location, and in general that has become a popular approach for high-vacancy, lower-class, historically-significant office buildings Downtown.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 2:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I'm just so sick of those stupid rounded cuppola things that architects always seem to reach for with these projects.
You're obviously not a fan of classic European architecture then...

As for the potential Oxford development... I'm not sure the Frank & Seder department store building is one we want to lose to the wrecking ball in favor of a 30-story high rise... and if demand truly does exist for that, Oxford owns empty lots downtown.

Pittsburgh is where Frank & Seder started and they expanded to NYC and Philly, among other major cities. I don't see how it's not a designated historical landmark.

http://www.jonathondenson.com/

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 2:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
It is too bad that particular building is ill-suited for a residential conversion--it would be in a great location, and in general that has become a popular approach for high-vacancy, lower-class, historically-significant office buildings Downtown.
Why is it not suited for residential conversion?

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 2:31 PM

The floor plates of 411 Smithfield are too large for conversion to residential. You could wind up with a lot of apts that didn't have windows.

To me, that building isn't really that impressive from a historical architecture standpoint. I'm also not sure that a redevelopment of the existing structure would really improve its viability much, although I am open to the concept.

As it relates to the retail there, surprisingly its pretty high rent, despite the somewhat lowbrow uses.

I agree that this is a trial balloon by Oxford to see if anybody will bite. They are going to do the exact same thing as Burns & Scalo on Fort Pitt Blvd.

I agree, I am tired of the faux cupolas. Come on architects! Come up with something original!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations