HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 12:47 AM
Leftist Correctist

That photo really reminds what a missed opportunity that development next to the MB Bank building was. It just looks bad IMO, like 60s motel down by Braidwood bad. Design notwithstanding it should have been three times as tall to take advantage of its' site.

For me it can be reduced to this: For every personal freedom we gained from the automobile, we lost in social cohesion.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 3:18 AM

Any word when the the coyne college development/three surrounding buildings is supposed to start?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 3:45 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
That photo really reminds what a missed opportunity that development next to the MB Bank building was. It just looks bad IMO, like 60s motel down by Braidwood bad. Design notwithstanding it should have been three times as tall to take advantage of its' site.
It is a shame that its only three floors in such a high activity area and so close to the corner. Then again, with such an ugly color scheme I guess its better that its less noticeable?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 4:54 AM
Team Alinghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Any word when the the coyne college development/three surrounding buildings is supposed to start?
Gr333n is supposed to start later this year. The others need tenants.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 5:11 AM

Quote:
There was a sign on this lot (333 N Green) that said the lot was closing - Dee could find no other activity.

Signs up for 375 Morgan, once again no activity, but the parking has been installed for 380 (?) Green. Also new signage up at Coyne itself.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 5:46 PM

beautiful dog harryc!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 10:27 PM

I kind of hate how a suburban style Wendy's is right next to that 1161 W Division apartment building. it really makes the nice density that building provides look almost fabricated and unnecessary.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9033...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
I kind of hate how a suburban style Wendy's is right next to that 1161 W Division apartment building. it really makes the nice density that building provides look almost fabricated and unnecessary.
Better then what it was before it was renovated, doesn't look 'that' bad.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
Better then what it was before it was renovated, doesn't look 'that' bad.
I walk past that Wendy's every day and it really diminishes the feeling of density and the street wall Division has built up over the past few years. It's not just the parking, drive-through and small and set back footprint of the building itself, but the fact that it borders 1161 W Division's parking on one side and Marshfield Ave to the other side.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 1:49 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCL View Post
I walk past that Wendy's every day and it really diminishes the feeling of density and the street wall Division has built up over the past few years. It's not just the parking, drive-through and small and set back footprint of the building itself, but the fact that it borders 1161 W Division's parking on one side and Marshfield Ave to the other side.
That’s an inevitable future development opportunity

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 1:04 PM

The Aon Center is floating a plan to put a glass elevator on the outhside of the Aon Center that would go up to a new observation deck.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...nt=oft07a-4gp1

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
The Aon Center is floating a plan to put a glass elevator on the outhside of the Aon Center that would go up to a new observation deck.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...nt=oft07a-4gp1
Interesting idea.

A good restaurant up there would also make sense. Something more interesting than the Signature Room, which sucks. And geared toward business clientele not tourists. There really aren’t any notable restaurants in that part of town, which is surprising given the explosion in residential population.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
I'm not a fan of the external elevator idea, sounds completely tacky. But I thought this was interesting:

Quote:
Preferring their muscular appearance to the “thin man” look of the Standard Oil Building’s monolithic shaft, Tribune architecture critic Paul Gapp in 1974 termed the high-rise “perhaps the worst thing that has happened to Chicago’s skyline in the last 30 years.”

“I think it’s hard to say that this building is so precious that it can’t be modified,” said Chicago architect Jim Goettsch of Goettsch Partners

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
That’s an inevitable future development opportunity
Hey, DO NOT mess with my spicy chicken sandwiches!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:09 PM

All this glass exterior idea crap has to stop. This isn't Disneyland or Vegas. I do remember them years ago with the Aon roof observatory idea similar to Empire SB but with a cafe lounge.
A top floor resteraunt with a roof bar and lounge would be epic. A little windy on the roof, but surely jam packed nightly with views to die for.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:20 PM
Leftist Correctist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Hey, DO NOT mess with my spicy chicken sandwiches!
Oh don't get me going...

For me it can be reduced to this: For every personal freedom we gained from the automobile, we lost in social cohesion.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 5:19 PM
1st Ward

Interesting idea, regarding the Aon skydeck. I've always thought Aon would have excellent views compared to Hancock or Sears, since both existing obs decks are both on the edge of the skyline. Aon (and Trump for that matter, had they put in an obs deck like they were considering during the planning process) is more central, and has great views all around, as opposed to the north side at the Sears and south side at the Hancock.

The elevator being out of view of Grant/Millennium Park (it will be on the NW corner) is a good idea too. It would throw off the pleasant balance of the south facade of the building, which is unarguably its most viewed side. Wonder how it will look. Guess we will have to wait for renderings to either pan or praise it.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
All this glass exterior idea crap has to stop. This isn't Disneyland or Vegas. I do remember them years ago with the Aon roof observatory idea similar to Empire SB but with a cafe lounge.
A top floor resteraunt with a roof bar and lounge would be epic. A little windy on the roof, but surely jam packed nightly with views to die for.
Yeah, glass elevators like that are only in amusement parks, like Detroit.

https://youtu.be/ZseyJMFWiv0

Seems like a neat idea. I would like it if the views from the south are kept as is.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 6:53 PM

I wonder if it could be done with just a track added to the outside of the building and then the only structure would be the elevator carriage itself. That way when not traveling between floors you wouldn't even be able to tell it exists.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Yeah, glass elevators like that are only in amusement parks, like Detroit.

https://youtu.be/ZseyJMFWiv0

Seems like a neat idea. I would like it if the views from the south are kept as is.
i mean theres an obvious difference between it being an original part of the design intention that the rest of the building accommodates , and a cheesy tack-on solution

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations