HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 2:56 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
The middle part though...... why.... just why..
That's the best part of the building. That pool is going to be widely used.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
That's the best part of the building. That pool is going to be widely used.
I just wish it was centered, not 3/4 the way up the tower. Also, the cut outs just look cheap. I wish there was less covering and more symmetry to it.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 5:35 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
I just wish it was centered, not 3/4 the way up the tower. Also, the cut outs just look cheap. I wish there was less covering and more symmetry to it.
I agree. For a building that relies heavily on symmetry, the haphazard cut outs 2/3 up looks awkward. The overall massing of the building is well proportioned. It appears nice and slender. From far away, that section looks unfinished, like a solid wall with random patches of cut outs. From up close though, the metallic mesh does look nice, especially in the 2nd picture. Will it be gold though or is that just because of the lighting of the rendering at sunset?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 6:34 PM

I like the cutout idea, but not the way its executed in this rendering. Im sure we will see refinements before this gets built and im assuming that will be one of them.

Personally, i wish the tower was less boxy, without a flat roof and that the podium was incorporated more seamlessly into the design.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 6:49 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Looking at ODA's portfolio, all of their designs are boxy/modular in form; I wouldn't expect much to change in that regard.

I agree with ocman about the wraparound balconies; it's a very thoughtful design that produces a streamlined aesthetic in keeping with LA's MCM legacy. That cutout is totally superfluous in my opinion.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
^ Looking at ODA's portfolio, all of their designs are boxy/modular in form; I wouldn't expect much to change in that regard.

I agree with ocman about the wraparound balconies; it's a very thoughtful design that produces a streamlined aesthetic in keeping with LA's MCM legacy. That cutout is totally superfluous in my opinion.
Honestly though! Put the pool on the roof, if anything. If they opened it up and put columns the entire way around and centered it, I think it would look great!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Honestly though! Put the pool on the roof, if anything. If they opened it up and put columns the entire way around and centered it, I think it would look great!
... center, roof?

23 messages so far, but you are really getting into that one.

There is no accounting for taste. So we got your opinion and nobody wants to convince you otherwise.
Some like it, some don't. That's about it.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
In case someone is planning to make a thread for this, the tower's height is 810 feet. The figure from the article is incorrect.
Jesus. 810 feet??? The design is interesting. The cut out is a bit odd....BUT. cant complain. We have been whining about LA not getting more unique/designs well here you go HAHA but In all honesty. This looks like it can easily spur development in the surrounding area. Bring. It. on.

ALSO

What's going on with those 2 Chinese backed developments that are suppose to happen south of the Mack Urbans developments ? wasn't one suppose to break ground 3rd/4th quarter this year?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:08 AM

Exclamation

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...ml?cid=dlvr.it

From the LA times.

So....There's a 5 year timeline, 18 month approval process with the city. God can someone come in and cut that in half? Also. Seems to be a typo.

"At 810 feet tall, it will be the cities 3rd tallest tower"....nooooo. It will be the 4th tallest after the WG, US Bank and Aon.... And if that 975 ft tower gets built first, it will be the fifth tallest. Come on LA times. Get it together.

Now. Can we just sit back and really....I mean really look at the big picture. We now have 2, potentially 3, tower proposed over 800 feet. We also have more than a dozen towers proposed/under construction over 600 ft. That may not seem like much but seeing how tower construction in LA sat stagnant for nearly 2 whole decades ( minus the Ritz). This is a BIG deal.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:59 AM

So...page 1 needs this bad boy added to the "proposals." The new renders for the Luxe property also need to be added.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post

From the LA times.

So....There's a 5 year timeline, 18 month approval process with the city. God can someone come in and cut that in half? Also. Seems to be a typo.

"At 810 feet tall, it will be the cities 3rd tallest tower"....nooooo. It will be the 4th tallest after the WG, US Bank and Aon.... And if that 975 ft tower gets built first, it will be the fifth tallest. Come on LA times. Get it together.

Now. Can we just sit back and really....I mean really look at the big picture. We now have 2, potentially 3, tower proposed over 800 feet. We also have more than a dozen towers proposed/under construction over 600 ft. That may not seem like much but seeing how tower construction in LA sat stagnant for nearly 2 whole decades ( minus the Ritz). This is a BIG deal.
Right On!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 7:18 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

COS storefront signage and graphics now up. Can't wait for the Broadway Trade Center and eventually the adjacent Merritt Building to reveal their new looks!

http://www.thepicta.com/media/158368...266_1553571947

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
COS storefront signage and graphics now up. Can't wait for the Broadway Trade Center and eventually the adjacent Merritt Building to reveal their new looks!

http://www.thepicta.com/media/158368...266_1553571947
Wow!!! Looks great!!!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 9:18 PM

Interior looks even better and btw, the work on the Merritt has started!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 10:02 PM

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 11:25 PM

^^^ Great! Maybe that block won't smell like piss anymore

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 3:53 PM
life is good

Frankentower yesterday

Frankentower #dtla 8.18.17 by robb, on Flickr

The building across from the Frankentower

Across the street from the Frankentower 8.18.17 by robb, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Hotel conversion starting across from Spring Street Park
I noticed the first comment referenced the original facade of the building. Anyone know what it looked like? Either way, another great addition to Spring Street!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post

From the LA times.

Funny the LA Times article forget to mention Aon Tower (as #3) since the LA Times may relocate to Aon according to what some have posted here if Times Mirror Square is sold & redeveloped. Wilshire Grand 1,099' (#1); US Bank 1,018' (#2); Proposed 975' tower on So. Fig (#3); Aon 864' (#4); Proposed So. Olive Residential 810' (#5).

I hope the council (or whoever approves these projects) fast track the 810' & 975' towers to get them approved and under construction before the current building boom winds down, which it might sooner or later. Both projects are awesome looking and would contribute nicely to the skyline. Tired of the pokey approval process. "Gather yee rosebuds why yee may" Don't dither & waste a building boom. Construction = Jobs. Construction = housing. Construction = even more awesome skyline, probably #3 in nation behind NYC & Chicago if all these projects are finished. LA will finally get a mighty skyline worthy of its size, erasing all the decades of missed opportunity during the looooong 150' height limit era. Oh the proud 400' and 500' Art Deco and Gothic Revival & Neo Classical towers we might have had in the roaring & booming 1920s! Instead we have a 150' tabletop. Lots of good & historic buildings, 8-14 stories, but no real towers from that era, except maybe Eastern Columbia, and yes, the Daily Planet (aka City Hall).

Build baby, Build! Building booms, like youth, don't last forever. And please, could some developer sneak in a 1250 footer to cap this cycle? Neo Art Deco would be my preference, but I'll settle for any design that looks good & makes hearts go pitter patter with pride for our magnificent pueblo in time for the 2028 Olympics. Gracias

Last edited by CaliNative; Aug 21, 2017 at 7:20 AM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Funny the LA Times article forget to mention Aon Tower (as #3) since the LA Times may relocate to Aon according to what some have posted here if Times Mirror Square is sold & redeveloped. Wilshire Grand 1,099' (#1); US Bank 1,018' (#2); Proposed 975' tower on So. Fig (#3); Aon 864' (#4); Proposed So. Olive Residential 810' (#5).

I hope the council (or whoever approves these projects) fast track the 810' & 975' towers to get them approved and under construction before the current building boom winds down, which it might sooner or later. Both projects are awesome looking and would contribute nicely to the skyline. Tired of the pokey approval process. "Gather yee rosebuds why yee may" Don't dither & waste a building boom. Construction = Jobs. Construction = housing. Construction = even more awesome skyline, probably #3 in nation behind NYC & Chicago if all these projects are finished. LA will finally get a mighty skyline worthy of its size, erasing all the decades of missed opportunity during the looooong 150' height limit era. Oh the proud 400' and 500' Art Deco and Gothic Revival & Neo Classical towers we might have had in the roaring & booming 1920s! Instead we have a 150' tabletop. Lots of good & historic buildings, 8-14 stories, but no real towers from that era, except maybe Eastern Columbia, and yes, the Daily Planet (aka City Hall).

Build baby, Build! Building booms, like youth, don't last forever. And please, could some developer sneak in a 1250 footer to cap this cycle? Neo Art Deco would be my preference, but I'll settle for any design that looks good & makes hearts go pitter patter with pride for our magnificent pueblo in time for the 2028 Olympics. Gracias

P.S. how 'bout them Dodgers? My LA heart swells with pride even though I now live in San Diego.
Your posts never disappoint me and yes we totally need another 1300'ft tower to cap this cycle. Would love to see it rise on Angel Knolls in time for the 2028 Olympics.

I don't want to get off topic, but Dodgers are rolling! The team chemistry is just absolutely amazing. Back to skyscraper talk before I get suspended..

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
Your posts never disappoint me and yes we totally need another 1300'ft tower to cap this cycle. Would love to see it rise on Angel Knolls in time for the 2028 Olympics.

I don't want to get off topic, but Dodgers are rolling! The team chemistry is just absolutely amazing. Back to skyscraper talk before I get suspended..
Thanks for the kind words. Is Angel Knolls (next to Angel's Flight incline?) a big enough parcel for a supertall? How about fronting on Pershing Square?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations