HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Looks like Queen's Landing is back. Designs have been approved by the WDCL and are going to go through the HbD process in September. The new project will be designed by MacKay Lyons-Sweetapple architects and will have hotel, residential, and commercial components. The value is $60M.
Great we need this and Cunard Block and something on Salter block to all get going.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 3:48 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This one's just from the rumour mill (i.e. the website that shall not be named). Hopefully some renderings will be available soon. Projects designed by this architect are usually pretty interesting.
I would not be surprised if this rumour were true, given that this is an election year and this would seem to be a cause that the Conservatives would feel comfort with. Interesting to see if there is an announcement before the window closes for making political pre-election funding announcements.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 5:44 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

A new AGNS building is rumoured to be a potential component, but either way it will be decoupled from the private mixed-used component.

I hope they come up with something that is a bit broken up in terms of massing and style so that it relates well to the older wharf buildings nearby like NS Crystal. This could be a nice fit to the MLS architectural style; they do a lot of modernist coastal buildings that borrow elements of the regional vernacular. I am a pretty big fan. I like architecture that has local flavour but isn't too literalist (i.e. suited to the local culture and climate, not "it looks like a giant lobster trap!").

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 6:20 PM

skeptical a new AGNS could fit in that space with anything else

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
I would not be surprised if this rumour were true, given that this is an election year and this would seem to be a cause that the Conservatives would feel comfort with. Interesting to see if there is an announcement before the window closes for making political pre-election funding announcements.
What would the Conservative government have to do with this? Aren't we talking about the private component?

Or are we talking about the "Battle of the Atlantic Place" thing, for the HMCS Sackville?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
What would the Conservative government have to do with this? Aren't we talking about the private component?

Or are we talking about the "Battle of the Atlantic Place" thing, for the HMCS Sackville?
My own follow up:

N.L.'s role in the Battle of the Atlantic should be remembered, John Crosbie says
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...says-1.3104691

Hmmm. Former bigwig federal Conservative involved. Maybe there's an announcement on this coming. It was pegged for a 2017 opening for Canada's 150, so they better start moving on it.

Possible announcement on this coming?

I still wish Parks Canada would get off their ass and get George's Island opened up. It will be an awesome attraction when they do; they just need to figure out a walk to get tourists there. Maybe a walking bridge or dedicated mini-ferry in summer...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 9:14 PM

Quote:
I still wish Parks Canada would get off their ass and get George's Island opened up. It will be an awesome attraction when they do; they just need to figure out a walk to get tourists there. Maybe a walking bridge or dedicated mini-ferry in summer...
Amen to that!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 9:53 PM

Quote:
My own follow up:

N.L.'s role in the Battle of the Atlantic should be remembered, John Crosbie says
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...says-1.3104691

Hmmm. Former bigwig federal Conservative involved. Maybe there's an announcement on this coming. It was pegged for a 2017 opening for Canada's 150, so they better start moving on it.

Possible announcement on this coming?

No way they can do this by 2017, it would take them 3 years just to build the thing and I can't see them starting this year on it. Maybe they can start building it by 2017

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 1:09 AM

It would take them over a year just to the land infill in this spot and get started on the foundation

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 2:24 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
In this context Saint John has both benefitted and suffered from having gone through long dry spells with a very poor economy. The benefit is that while other cities in the 60s and 70s were knocking down old buildings to build towers, SJ was in the doldrums and largely did not do so. Add in the fact that much of this section of downtown (Prince William, Canterbury, Germain, etc) was burned to the ground in the great fire and then uniformly rebuilt as brick/stone, rather than the wood structures that were there before, and you have a large stock of well built edwardian structures that are all self-consistent. There really are some spectacular buildings in that section of downtown (I went to SJHS, which is right in the middle of all that). The south end of the city is mostly in terrible shape (falling down clapboard wood structures that have been poorly maintained), but this section of the downtown core really does have a large self-consistent set of buildings that deserved to be saved/renovated. Last I visited I was actually impressed by the new development that has taken place, the loft conversion done to some of the old buildings, and the renovations that have taken place in some other buildings (e.g. along King Street). It has been a while since I felt positive about SJ, but I have to say they look like they have turned a corner.
Saint John must have one of the biggest disconnects in Canada in terms of the quality of its heritage and neighbourhoods and how well-known it is. Hamilton is a bit like this too. I don't know a lot about these cities, but I suspect that if they play their cards right they can capitalize hugely on this. Urban living is becoming more and more attractive, young people are willing to move around, and character neighbourhoods are in high demand. There's a limited stock in the bigger cities and it's becoming incredibly expensive.

When it comes to the Saint John/Halifax comparisons, I feel like they've become two different animals. They're not really in direct competition anymore and they're no longer built on the same scale. When it comes to a discussion like this it makes a big difference because the level of development pressure in downtown Halifax, as one example, is in a completely different ballpark from Uptown SJ. There's also a lot of stuff going on in Halifax that wouldn't exist in its present form without the modern buildings. It's hard to find cities in North America that have had a lot of economic vibrancy and have really well-preserved older neighbourhoods. I think a lot of people take the modern development for granted.

I also think people sell the heritage buildings in Halifax a little short sometimes. If you take a step back, there are many buildings that don't have analogues in the rest of the region. As far as I know, there's no Dominion Public Building, Bank of NS, Dingle, or Citadel anywhere else. I'm not even sure there's another Nova Scotian Hotel (Charlottetown has a mini one) or maybe even Dennis Building (Saint John might have a couple of those). It's mostly little stuff outside of Halifax. Actually it's mostly newer too; you don't find St. Paul's type buildings outside of NS either for the most part.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 3:16 AM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
It would take them over a year just to the land infill in this spot and get started on the foundation
I don't believe this project requires infilling. The building will be built in contact with the ocean

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 4:27 AM

Quote:
A walking bridge, across a major shipping lane? Not going to happen. I know ships could go around Georges, but a bridge seems very unlikely.

...And it would prohibit cruise ships from doing that fancy loop-around-Georges-and-show-off-for-the-locals thing.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 5:40 AM

[QUOTE=pblaauw;7060106]A walking bridge, across a major shipping lane? Not going to happen. I know ships could go aroundcoupleges, but a bridge seems very unlikely.

...And it would prohibit cruise ships from doing that fancy loop-around-Georges-and-show-off-for-the-locals thing. [/QUO]

there are old underground tunnels that go from the island to the city. Put an entrrance on lower water street, spend a couple million making sure the tunnle is up to safty standards and you have a instant huge tourist attraction. Would probaly be just a 10 minute walk under ground.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 9:04 AM

[QUOTE=hokus83;7060178]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post

there are old underground tunnels that go from the island to the city. Put an entrrance on lower water street, spend a couple million making sure the tunnle is up to safty standards and you have a instant huge tourist attraction. Would probaly be just a 10 minute walk under ground.
Is that true? I've heard rumors, but I don't know if any actual such tunnel has ever been found.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Not gonna happen.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 12:31 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:

I just assume that it is all part and parcel, given that one would bet that the private part is financially structured based on leveraging public funding for the Battle of the Atlantic portion of the overall development. Maybe I am wrong though...

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 12:51 PM

[QUOTE=counterfactual;7060238]
Quote:

Is that true? I've heard rumors, but I don't know if any actual such tunnel has ever been found.
No way that would only cost a few million. I've been in similar vintage British military tunnels here in Saint John and they are so narrow and short that the tunnel would probably have to be tripled in diameter to meet contemporary standards, which would be impossible given their construction. You'd essentially have to build a whole new tunnel, which would not be cheap. A similar pedestrian tunnel to the Toronto Island Airport is currently being completed at a cost of ~$83 million and it is less than 200 m long (by comparison Georges Island is between 400-500 m from shore).

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 2:21 PM

Any new tunnel should be built of glass so the tourists can see the fish, etc

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 2:59 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
I think it is just a rumour. It would have been an incredibly difficult and expensive tunnel to build in the 1700's or 1800's. Every so often there is a story about a supposed bricked off George's Island tunnel entrance that is located downtown but they usually lead to sewers, etc.

There are tunnels around the Citadel, but I don't think they make it out to the island.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
Any new tunnel should be built of glass so the tourists can see the fish, etc
It's the "etc." that would concern me....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth