HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 28, 2003, 9:04 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

^Thanks, btw i agree i like most of the newer stuff set to go up, it should add more color and style to the skyline

Old Posted Nov 28, 2003, 6:00 PM
Still cyber-converted fka

Some nice stuff for sure but why the height limit?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2003, 6:36 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Well a couple of reasons that i know of is because the city does not want any views of the ocean blocked if your looking from the mountain or any views of the moutains blocked if your viewing from the ocean.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2003, 7:58 PM
Still cyber-converted fka

OIC, pretty crappy reasons huh?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2003, 8:20 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

^Yep it sucks, but i really hope that one day the city council or whatever will raise it atleast in the CBD or Midtown area, i know that the developers of Honolulu's tallest First Hawaiian center tried to get the city to raise it to 500ft but they got shot down, however the city did allow the building to be over 400ft because of its design.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2003, 6:47 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

New designer lofts for Waikiki

Urban Loft Development LLC, a Hawaii firm, is planning a new six-story, fee-simple residential community at 427 Launiu St. in Waikiki.

The community, to be called Loft@Waikiki, features 36 private two-bedroom and two-bath residences designed by architect Don Huang.

According to Huang, a team of young, progressive architects and developers worked together on the design, with the goal of developing a product for the urban lifestyle.

"Loft doesn't mean it has to be empty space," Huang said. "We're building the whole thing out in high-quality finishes. We have the highest-appliance groups similar to Hokua."

Huang is a principal of Urban Loft Development LLC, which is made up of various stakeholders that are under contract to buy six parcels of land measuring 30,000 square feet by February.

The Loft@Waikiki condos offer 12-foot ceilings -- up to 19 feet in the penthouse residences -- two arched windows each, art decor doors, porcelain tiles, wine refrigerators and contemporary accents. Units range from 1,047 to 1,096 square feet. Residents also can opt for curved walls between the living room and master bedroom or a floor-to-ceiling glass wall.

Each unit comes with two parking stalls, which are larger than required by the county, at nine feet and four inches wide. Huang calls them "hummer-style stalls." He also said the Loft@Waikiki will be the first test case using insulated concrete -- used in single-family homes -- for a commercial building.

Architect firm Collaborative Seven LLC designed the community and Kahala Associates will be the exclusive listing agent and principal broker for the project.

Prices begin at about $580,000, with sales beginning on Sunday at the Gentry Pacific Design Center, 560 N. Nimitz Highway, Suite 219. Groundbreaking is expected to take place in March.

Launiu St. is a short mauka-makai street, two blocks ewa of Lewers, within walking distance of the heart of Waikiki.

**I'll post renderings when they become available

***Mauka - means towards the mountain(s)
***Makai - means toward the sea/ocean

Old Posted Dec 3, 2003, 7:14 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Here's the first renderiing of the loft-style condos for Waikiki

Old Posted Dec 4, 2003, 6:57 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Kapolei amphitheater proposal awaits approval

A development partner of a proposed amphitheater in Kapolei said he is confident the city will grant a conditional use permit for the $18 million project by Dec. 22, allowing the 15,000-seat entertainment venue to open as early as next December or January 2005.

Terry Gallagher, a partner in Michigan-based Global Venue Group LLC, updated the project's progress yesterday at a meeting of the West Oahu Economic Development Association.

Global Venue announced its plans to build the amphitheater earlier this year, and made a presentation at a Nov. 19 public hearing on its permit application. A ruling is expected by Dec. 22.

With 8,000 covered seats and room for 7,000 more on a sloped lawn, the amphitheater was designed to fill a gap between 50,000-seat Aloha Stadium — too big for most acts — and smaller locations such as the Waikiki Shell, Blaisdell Center or Stan Sheriff Center, all with fewer than 9,000 seats.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2003, 12:07 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Moana Pacific

The state yesterday approved a developer's plan to build twin 46-story residential towers on Kapi'olani Boulevard near McKinley High School.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2003, 4:37 PM

Urbanguy I love those sleek elliptical towers (Moana Pacific) do you know who designed them?
They look alot like the BLUE & MIST towers here in Miami.

Last edited by bobdreamz; Dec 11, 2003 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2003, 5:45 PM
BANNED

I recently spent a week in Hawaii. I was suprised to see how massive downtown Honolulu was. The skyscrapers stretch for miles in the downtown area! I must say downtown Honolulu has more skyscrapers than many major US cities on the mainland. It almost resembles a smaller Hong Kong. The only thing I didn't like about the paradise was that traffic jam lasted all day on H-1. I spent 4 days on Maui and 3 days on O'ahu. My favorite spot was the little beach at Makena on Maui! I'll tell you why if anyone cares to know.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2003, 6:17 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

^Yep traffic is horrible here rainbowVA, btw i know why you liked the little beach at Makena haha

bobdreamz, i have no idea who desigend them yet, but i will add updates when i find out, but it is a KC Rainbow Development project, if that means anything?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2003, 6:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanguy
rainbowVA, btw i know why you liked the little beach at Makena haha
Have you been to the little beach? Me and my partner went to the far end of the little beach everyday on Maui

Old Posted Dec 12, 2003, 1:17 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

^Yes but i didnt venture to far in as i was a little scared at what i might see haha, although ive been to a couple over here

Old Posted Dec 12, 2003, 1:19 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Oh btw Rainbow did you manage to take any pics when you were in the islands, also i'm glad you got to enjoy your stay its a wonderful place 8)

Old Posted Dec 12, 2003, 4:32 PM
BANNED

I used my camcorder most the time. I guess I can try to take snap shots from the video. The places we recorded include Ritz Carlton @ Kapalua(where we stayed), the road to Hana, the dormant volcano on Maui (I forgot its name), the lava field south of Makena beach, downtown Honolulu shot from the plane, Pearl Harbor, the Polynesian Cultural Center on north shore, and the waikiki beach. I am not sure how good the quality of the pics will be because it rained half the time. But I will try to post them if they look good.

Let me tell ya, the road to Hana is one hell of a trip! The scenery is simply breathtaking. Those narrow one-lane bridges are such a character! On the other side of the island, the lava field south of Makena beach looked eerily unearthly. We saw alot of people riding bikes downhill from the summit of the volcano on Maui; it looked thrilling. Our favorite spot was Makena beach. We went there everyday. The beach is beautiful, wide, clean, and more secluded. Btw, is half of Honolulu owned by japanese? Almost half the store signs are written in Japanese. There are tons of stores tailored to the jpn tourists! (not that there's anything wrong with that) The only spot where I didn't see alot of them was at Pearl Harbor

We made the trip because my partner had to attend a conference at the Ritz Carlton at Kapalua. His company paid for most of the trip We had a wonderful time and we miss Hawaii !!!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2003, 6:51 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

rainbowVA, thats cool! Well as for HNL the Japanese are the number one market for tourists, Waikiki is heavily dependent on the high-end Japanese spender so signs in their language are up all over to help them get around so they can drop their cash. In fact more Japanese travel here then anywhere else in the world, this is their number one destination. The other islands dont really market themselves heavily to Japan which is good especially with the shaky Japanese economy. Also funny you should mention that because in the area i live in which is basically the Koreatown area it borders the Japantown area (Moiliili), anyhow in this are you can find signs that are tri-lingual to quadra-lingual (sp?) haha ie: (Korean, Japanese, English) or (Korean, Chinese, English) etc etc Theres another part of town where i think the city ended up creating an international style cross walk because of the high concentration of immigrants and i think there are little signs & pamphlets including Tagalog, Ilocano, Samoan, Laotian, Thai and Vietnamese, etc just for the crosswalk.

Anyhow its too bad that the weather was a little crappy when you were here its been raining off and on for most of the time ive been back here, but i guess its normal for this time of year, sunshine, wind, rain, ahhh but its warm and today its sunny & beautiful again

Old Posted Feb 5, 2004, 11:48 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Harbor project revised to feature more low-rise lofts

A Dallas developer proposing to create a residential community with streetcar connections from Piers 2 to 6 at Honolulu Harbor yesterday estimated the cost of his ambitious project at about $360 million and said he'd like to have a development agreement with the state by July.

Ken Hughes of UC Urban also refined his master plan, eliminating hotel and office high-rises, and increasing the number of low-rise residential loft rentals from 250 to 550.

Hughes shared the latest details of his proposal with the state Aloha Tower Development Corp., which owns most of the property considered for redevelopment and is helping finance up to $200,000 of exploratory study costs as part of a preliminary agreement with Hughes.

The developer said he remains optimistic that he can overcome three otherwise "fatal flaws" — moving Hawaiian Electric Co.'s power plant, creating a downtown streetcar system compatible with city and state mass-transit plans, and providing parking for Aloha Tower Marketplace.

Other hurdles include arranging to use Coast Guard property at Pier 2, negotiating lease terms with the state and financing.

The agency board has one month to decide if it wishes to continue working with Hughes and start negotiating a development agreement.

Hughes said if he is successful, construction could begin two years from now at the earliest and take two years to complete, though the park could take up to six years because of the need to move the power plant.

Hughes broke down cost estimates for pieces of the project, dubbed Pacific Quay:

$224 million for three connected low-rise residential apartment buildings on top of 50,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space.

$19 million for two parking garages with 1,400 spaces, which would be owned by the state and on site and at Piers 1 and 2.

$30 million to demolish and clean up the power plant property.

$22 million for park construction, which includes taking the parking lot out of Irwin Park.

$54 million for a 2.4-mile electric streetcar loop connecting the project with the downtown business district.

$9 million to build a state Transportation Department Harbor's Division office building.

Hughes estimated that the project would create about 3,000 jobs and have a 10-year economic impact of $571 million.

Hughes said he is considering a range of potential financing options, including federal funds, business improvement district assessments, state bonds and tax-increment financing.

Fremont Realty Capital, a unit of San Francisco-based private investment company Fremont Group, has expressed interest in providing debt and equity financing for the project, Hughes said.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2004, 7:21 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

This drawing shows the concept for a "Pacific Quay" near Aloha Tower Marketplace, presented yesterday before the board of the state Aloha Tower Development Corp. The project would include 550 loft-style apartments and 50,000 square feet of restaurants.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2004, 12:17 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Ooh a possible 350 footer downtown?

Council to vote on Pflueger deal

Despite concerns that a written agreement for selling a downtown city parking lot is still being drafted, City Council members agreed to move the $10.5 million deal forward for a final vote Wednesday.

The Pflueger Honda dealership wants to move from Ala Moana to "Block J," a 2.4-acre site at Beretania Street and Pali Highway, and redevelop the property. The plan may include housing in a tower up to 350 feet high if financially feasible, the Pflueger Group says. **Sh*t if they can pull it off then yeah put your damn car lot their if not forget it!**

Some council members question whether the project has been fully thought out, and want guarantees that Pflueger will include some public parking and landscaping and protect views.

City Corporation Counsel David Arakawa said he would incorporate such requirements in a written sales agreement, but gave no assurances it would be ready before the final vote to authorize the deal.

Council budget chairwoman Ann Kobayashi said the sale could be held up otherwise. "It would be hard to give final approval if we don't have these things cleared up," she said.

The city stands to net $9,680,522 from the sale after deducting fees for a real estate broker and other services. Officials say the money is badly needed. The current city budget assumed the property would be sold this year for $15 million, and holding up the deal would leave a bigger gap in city finances, budget director Ivan Lui-Kwan said.

"I don't think it means the collapse of the city, but I think it will have a significant impact," he said.

The city has been trying to sell the property for more than a decade. Earlier plans called for building subsidized housing for lower-income residents. Pflueger indicated that it may include market-rate condominiums in the project.

Some downtown residents and workers also worry the sale could increase parking headaches. There are 279 parking stalls on the property, including 202 with meters for public use and 77 for city employees. The lot is used heavily by deputy city prosecutors and others going to nearby District Court.

Pflueger's latest plan would include a parking garage with 100 stalls charging municipal rates for up to 12 years, and up to 100 more for long-term rental at market rates. Lui-Kwan said displaced city employees would receive stickers allowing them to park elsewhere.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations