HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The Brooklyn Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 2:27 AM

Such a shame Nordstrom Tower didn't look like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The tallest skyscrapers on skylines these days are apartment buildings, so no sadness there.

https://twitter.com/awalkerinla

http://jdsdevelopment.com/9-dekalb/

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 5:58 AM
Here we stAy

Wow, so many great elements in this project. Good for Brooklyn!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 6:33 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 3:55 AM
aka Studdedleather

March 15th can't come any sooner! ! !

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 2:08 PM
BANNED

The JDS/SHoP team is the greatest thing to happen in Architecture since the Art Deco era, maybe even since the Pyramids. There just couldn't be a better scenario than preservation of this old gem, along with the Steinway building in Midtown, and incorporation of them into world-class skyscrapers. I am just floored by the effort they're making in restoration and innovation. Here's hoping for a hatrick in whatever they have next up their sleeve

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 8:30 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Walker Tower renovation was JDS' first actually. although they used Cetra/Rudy instead of SHOP. Same aesthetic though.

http://therealdeal.com/2013/10/01/wa...vealed-photos/

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 1:35 AM
BANNED

^Thanks for reminding me! Walker Tower is a beautiful rehab. So a hatty indeed.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 2:19 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
The JDS/SHoP team is the greatest thing to happen in Architecture since the Art Deco era, maybe even since the Pyramids. There just couldn't be a better scenario than preservation of this old gem, along with the Steinway building in Midtown, and incorporation of them into world-class skyscrapers. I am just floored by the effort they're making in restoration and innovation. Here's hoping for a hatrick in whatever they have next up their sleeve

Yes, I'm really impressed with JDS's desire and ability to incorporate actual landmark structures into new towers that become new icons on the skyline. It seems that this is a specialty of theirs, and I love it.

http://www.dezeen.com/2016/02/18/sho...enue-new-york/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 6:10 PM

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 1:39 AM

. . at 2132 ft. . .
it would be twice
. . Supreme . .

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 3:23 AM

The more renderings I see the more refined this tower is becoming. So much detailing! Incredible design by JDS/SHoP team!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 5:00 AM
Show me the blueprints

Unreal that Juniors doesn't sell. That's pretty stupid. They could probably negotiate new space in the base of a larger tower.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 4:42 AM
aka Studdedleather

Any word about the landmark vote?!

Hopefully they don't want anything altered (unless the want it to be taller!)

Let's assume the best is coming.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 9:35 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Becoming like Manhattan doesn't have to mean just high rise buildings. The cost of Manhattan is where Brooklyn is at now, and it will continue to rise and continue to price out native New Yorkers. I am not saying this is an issue, just the reality.
And how does one stop prices going up? You increase supply. That or decrease demand. So either go big and tall or go Detroit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
For me, it is just a little disappointing to see the Brooklyn skyline turn into a skyline of apartment buildings.
I don't see why that would be disappointing. As long as the amount of office space in DTBK doesn't decrease.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Mar 26, 2016, 2:52 AM
aka Studdedleather

Hopefully 9 Dekalb won't be lonely for too long. . .

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...e-heralds-more
A spate of purchases around this Brooklyn avenue heralds more skyscrapers
Developers have tall plans for DeKalb Avenue

Quote:
Around the new year, a joint venture of JDS Development and the Chetrit Group filed plans with the city to build a 1,066-foot tower at 9 DeKalb Ave. in downtown Brooklyn. The 73-story tower would be by far the tallest building in the borough, nearly twice as tall as the reigning spire, the 596-foot AVA DoBro apartment tower at 100 Willoughby St.

The city has yet to green-light the tower, which requires landmark approval because it would involve significant changes to the historic Brooklyn Dime Savings Bank building at 9 DeKalb.

Still, the proposed tower is another sign of the changes underway in downtown Brooklyn. In early November 2015, the city and developer JEMB Realty announced plans for a 600-foot office building at 420 Albee Square. It will—for a while, at least—be Brooklyn’s tallest building and the first commercial building of any significance since the area was rezoned in 2004.

These trophy towers are spurring interest from investors hoping to capitalize on the residents and businesses that will fill them, said Derek Bestreich, president of Bestreich Realty Group, a commercial brokerage in the borough. Downtown has long lagged such Brooklyn neighborhoods as Williamsburg and Greenpoint for attention from developers and investors.

One early arrival is RedSky Capital, a Dumbo-based investment firm. Since 2012, it has bought at least 10 of the 16 small commercial buildings across from the 9 DeKalb Ave. site: Nos. 547, 548, 549, 551, 553, 565, 573, 575 and 585 Fulton; and 396 Flatbush Ave. Extension. Several of the buildings are contiguous, suggesting that RedSky is assembling them for its own large-scale development. The firm did not respond to requests for comment.

RedSky is unlikely to be the last investor to buy multiple properties in downtown Brooklyn with an eye toward perhaps building big.

“The scale attracts developers,” Bestreich said of the neighborhood. “It’s a place in New York where developers can build sizable properties.”

Old Posted Mar 26, 2016, 5:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Bring it on.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 5:54 PM
New Yorker for life

SUPERSIZED BROOKLYN...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 9:40 PM

My one problem with this building is that, as of now, it's not tall enough. This is a building that should define and be the pinnacle of the Brooklyn skyline for decades. At barely over 1000 feet, it could easily be surpassed within 5-10 of its completion. They have the ability (I think). They should try to add a few hundred feet so that this is the gorgeous building that everything in Brooklyn looks up to for the next few decades, not a building that is looked down on or lost amid a sea of height.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 10:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh222 View Post
My one problem with this building is that, as of now, it's not tall enough. This is a building that should define and be the pinnacle of the Brooklyn skyline for decades. At barely over 1000 feet, it could easily be surpassed within 5-10 of its completion. They have the ability (I think). They should try to add a few hundred feet so that this is the gorgeous building that everything in Brooklyn looks up to for the next few decades, not a building that is looked down on or lost amid a sea of height.

It could be 800 ft, and that would be tall enough. If this were in Midtown or lower Manhattan, I would say it should be taller, as I feel for the Tower Verre. However, even though Brooklyn has been building new "tallest" for the last few years, I don't think there will be a parade of supertalls storming the borough. Even if another tower does top this one, there aren't many towers nearing this height in Brooklyn. Besides, there is the issue of size. It's a nicely designed, thin tower. Just stretching it out further does not guarantee the same quality of design.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh222 View Post
Look at the positives, it could become the Jin Mao of Brooklyn. That is certainly not a bad thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture