HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Windsor crossing is definitely more interesting. Has more to see on the approach and while crossing.

But now I'm a Sarnia crossing guy because I went to school in Windsor and I've seen enough. Actually lived in residence beside the Ambassador and was looking out my window when they shut it down for 9/11. A miles long convoy of idle big rigs.

Also, in 2007 four of us were coming back from a booze filled trip to Ann Arbor to watch UM play at the Big House. However, I was the DD so I had three beers between 2pm and midnight. The other guys just reeked of an assortment of beer and liquor. As soon as we got to the booth and rolled down the window, the border guy said I can see and smell that you guys were drinking (two guys in the back completely passed out). I said yup, but I've only had three Coors Lights in 10 hours. Then he says, very smugly," okay, next time, DON'T DRINK AT ALL. You can go now". Needless to say I felt like punching dude right in the face.

Never had a problem on the Blue Water. I did get pulled over by US Customs once because I was crossing by myself at midnight with a bunch of stuff in a rented car. I explained I was going to CO, UT, AZ and NM and meeting someone there and also stopping off at points on the way to see places I've never seen.

The US customs guy started talking to me about fishing after he saw my tackle and also noticed the pepper spray I kept with it. He rightfully assumed it was for coyotes or bears when fishing a river. He said he also brings protection when fishing streams in Northern Michigan. His gun! On a related note, this also happened in Lewiston when customs guy saw my tackle. He proceeded to show me pics on his phone of some monster smallmouth bass he caught on Erie a few days before.

The other customs guy then quizzed me about the four games I was going to attend while down there. Asking me who the QBs are for Colorado and their opponent Oregon, both of whom I correctly named! Though he probably didn't google it. Just wanted to hear me answer the question quickly.

So ya, also had more positive experience on Blue Water than Ambassador. And have never waited a long time there either, but that's also due to the times of the day or year I was arriving.
I recall coming back from a trip to a Detroit Lions game a few years ago, crossing at the Ambassador Bridge. I wasn't driving, but our third passenger had drunk himself into a temporary alcohol induced coma and was passed out in the back seat. The Canadian customs agent, took a look at us, and asked "Football game?" We replied "yup" and were permitted back through.

I also mix it up and take different routes back when on long drives. If traffic permits, I'll often take the 403/QEW back to Toronto from southwestern Ontario instead of the 401, and I'll typically take Hwy 7 at least one of the ways between the GTA and Ottawa/Montreal instead of just taking the 401 all the time.

Nice reference to the "Stig" in your video. The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime lives up to the legacy created by Top Gear.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 2:35 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Occasionally, when I head back from GTA to KW, instead of going down 401, I use 403 then 24 (so via Brantford). Traffic’s somewhat heavy during rush hour between Brantford and Hamilton nowadays, where the highway only has 4 lanes.

During rush hours when 401’s helplessly congested, I’ll also use 7 via Georgetown, Acton, Rockwood and Guelph. By the time I get to Guelph, it’s late enough that traffic clears on 7 between Guelph and Kitchener. Slow drivers between Acton and Rockeood are frustrating though.

Going between London and Waterloo, I’ve also done 4 then 7/8 instead of the 401. It was the first Saturday in January 2017. I got my car in January 2016 and the first Saturday after I got it, I drove to Stratford to check it out. Basically, on the first Saturday of January 2017, I stopped by Stratford to “celebrate the anniversary of the adventure”.

As for between GTA and Ottawa, every now and then I use the 7 as well, although 6 times out of 7 I was using it to go back to GTA. Again, I really don’t like the slow drivers on that road. Also, during summer weekends, one can see cops hiding here and there.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
I recall coming back from a trip to a Detroit Lions game a few years ago, crossing at the Ambassador Bridge. I wasn't driving, but our third passenger had drunk himself into a temporary alcohol induced coma and was passed out in the back seat. The Canadian customs agent, took a look at us, and asked "Football game?" We replied "yup" and were permitted back through.

I also mix it up and take different routes back when on long drives. If traffic permits, I'll often take the 403/QEW back to Toronto from southwestern Ontario instead of the 401, and I'll typically take Hwy 7 at least one of the ways between the GTA and Ottawa/Montreal instead of just taking the 401 all the time.

Nice reference to the "Stig" in your video. The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime lives up to the legacy created by Top Gear.
By the way, what program are you using for your editing? I'm impressed by the road signs and little pieces of trivia you put in the few videos I've seen from you.

I use After Effects. But it's mostly for sports, go karting and fishing videos I make. This was the first driving video I made.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 3:06 PM

That's another one I forgot about. Take 403 or 401? I too prefer the 403/QEW because at least you get to drive up/down the "mountain". Get some Escarpment views and also cross over Hamilton Harbour.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
By the way, what program are you using for your editing? I'm impressed by the road signs and little pieces of trivia you put in the few videos I've seen from you.

I use After Effects. But it's mostly for sports, go karting and fishing videos I make. This was the first driving video I made.
I use Sony Vegas to put the videos together. The signs are cropped out from photos taken with another camera.

I too prefer the QEW/403 combination, particularly at night. I love the drive through Hamilton.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 3:14 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
I use Sony Vegas to put the videos together. The signs are cropped out from photos taken with another camera.

I too prefer the QEW/403 combination, particularly at night. I love the drive through Hamilton.
The curves through Hamilton are so sharp that even 110 kph is difficult.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 3:19 PM

7 from Georgetown to Guelph is indeed a nice peaceful alternative to 401, at least when I've been on it. No idea if it gets a rush hour as I've only done that on weekends.

I associate a lot of routes with the water it passes by because I'm an avid angler. But also just geographic features in general. Georgetown/Norval is the Credit, Acton is Fairy Lake, Rockwood is the Eramosa at the conservation area, Guelph is the confluence of the Eramosa and Nith or Grand Rivers or whatever it is there.

Bonus points to any route that passes through the Escarpment or is at least at the foot of it.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 3:21 PM

Quote:

True. I like when you curve around at night and see the lights.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
The curves through Hamilton are so sharp that even 110 kph is difficult.
Speed limit is 90, right? It does feel good doing 110 when your car is up to snuff. But I've been in on old Pathfinder that struggled and I had to take her down a notch.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 3:41 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Cambridge Truck Bypass (Highway 24)

Is that a good idea? I propose that it be a 4-lane extension of (upgraded) Townline Road (Road 33) <Highway 401 Exit 286>, curving west along the eastern and southern boundary of Cambridge, and meeting the present alignment of Highway 24 south of Brant County Road 144. From there on, Highway 24 will also be widened to 4 or 5 lanes until Brant County Road 5. All intersections except the one with Brant County Road 144 and Highway 24 will be roundabouts. As for that one, it will be an "elliptical roundabout".

I haven't thought about how 24 will bypass Brantford though.

I'm asking because I visited Ainslie (Downtown Cambridge) every now and then. Seeing big trucks roaming through those small roads in Cambridge scares me.

Ps: As a result, Highway 24 will then be extended to Highway 401, and Townline Road south of 401 will be under provincial jurisdiction.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Curious question: Why not renumber Highway 21 as Highway 26 southwest of Springmount?
Or Vice Versa?

Alot of these changes could be considered, like even Highway 23 and 89 are virtually the same roadway and could be the same number.

Post 1997-1998, when the highway network was split up and downloaded in so many ways, there really haven't been any major changes. A few were done in 2003, such as renaming a short portion of 89 as 23, and 86 was renumbered to 85, but other than that, that highway network hasn't changed too much.

One of my wishes is that largely the pre 1997 network is re-signed, with some logical changes made as often the county road network (southern ontario) is constructed to the same design spec as the provinical highways were and are (2-lane rural highways). I don't really care who maintains the road, but wayfinding and highway route signage should be for directions and connections for motorists and users to travel one way or another. I know with Google Maps and GPS, reliance on street names and route numbers isn't as significant as before, but still, a properly signed network would be valuable.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 4:54 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Or Vice Versa?

Alot of these changes could be considered, like even Highway 23 and 89 are virtually the same roadway and could be the same number.

Post 1997-1998, when the highway network was split up and downloaded in so many ways, there really haven't been any major changes. A few were done in 2003, such as renaming a short portion of 89 as 23, and 86 was renumbered to 85, but other than that, that highway network hasn't changed too much.

One of my wishes is that largely the pre 1997 network is re-signed, with some logical changes made as often the county road network (southern ontario) is constructed to the same design spec as the provinical highways were and are (2-lane rural highways). I don't really care who maintains the road, but wayfinding and highway route signage should be for directions and connections for motorists and users to travel one way or another. I know with Google Maps and GPS, reliance on street names and route numbers isn't as significant as before, but still, a properly signed network would be valuable.
Perhaps something like this will be nice:
For Wellington, Dufferin County Road 109, next to the county road shield should be a provincial highway shield that says “Formerly Highway 9”.

For Niagara Regional, Elgin County, Chatham-Kent City Road 3, Essex County Road 34, 33, there should be a provincial shield saying “Formerly Highway 3”.

You get the idea.

Is that what you mean?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Perhaps something like this will be nice:
For Wellington, Dufferin County Road 109, next to the county road shield should be a provincial highway shield that says “Formerly Highway 9”.

For Niagara Regional, Elgin County, Chatham-Kent City Road 3, Essex County Road 34, 33, there should be a provincial shield saying “Formerly Highway 3”.

You get the idea.

Is that what you mean?
I'd rather simply put a provincial shield and if necessary, put the county name or municipality where it says Ontario or where "The Kings Highway" used to be noted. In your examples, those roads would still be known as "Highway 9" or "Highway 3" and all other names would be scrapped.

Again, don't see value that having a shield or a flowerpot needs to represent who owns / maintains the road, rather that this road you are on is significant in its own right, and will connect you to other provincially significant roadways and destinations like towns and cities.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 1:00 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

SNC-Lavalin selling some 407 stocks

https://business.financialpost.com/i...hway-407-stake

Then I realized we have a PC government right now so it’s unrealistic to expect the government to buy those stocks.
The article was from 4 days ago, by the way.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 5:47 PM
I am a typical

All the big American companies have been using their tax breaks to buy back stocks, I don't see why we can't follow suit here.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 10:04 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

ETR EB Closed Near Goreway (Bramalea) Due to Veh Fire

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 8:44 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Some Archives

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 12:30 AM

Video of the 401 between Western Toronto and Kitchener:

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 12:52 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Wow I'm actually disillusioned now.

For the longest time, I thought the constructions in Milton were to add HOV lanes.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 1:06 AM
ハルウララ

That car at 8:23

I agree about the section through Milton. It's dreadful going in both directions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario