HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 2:50 AM
So very tired...

Fuggin Alberta, only here would I cheer for a PC victory.

Looks like Raj is going to lose his seat.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 2:54 AM

One hour in and it is leading/elected 60 PC and wildrose 19...CTV just called a PC majority. I could not be happier that wildrose is out in the cold...

Footnote to Daniel Smith...maybe people think that speaking against intolerance and racism is an important issue in Aberta!!!

Raj seat is up and down tonight...we will not see a victory until all the votes are in.

Last edited by DAVEinEDMONTON; Apr 24, 2012 at 3:00 AM. Reason: additional comments

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 2:56 AM

A PC MAJORITY GOVT...THANK GAWD.

PS...POLLS KNOW S--T

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 2:58 AM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
You'll be pretty surprised on Monday then!
MalcolmTucker you are my hero

Very happy with the results so far

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:01 AM

Well this friggin sucks.

I was actually OK if it had been a tight race PC win but if the PC's get 60 freaking seats give or take they are basically getting the big "thumbs up" from Alberta on what has been a pretty crappy recent run of PC government and weak leadership within the party.

They needed a wakeup call, they needed to have a message sent to them that they need to start doing a better job, and Alberta has not given them that message in the slightest. I expect even further degredation of that party for the upcomming term under the "Red Queen" and it will not be a good term for this province.

WTG Wildrose, maybe next time you can get even more pastors as MLA's, they sure paid off this time!!! Hell, try to get the Pope and you can add outlawing condoms in the province. Get a clue, Alberta is NOT the Southern USA and we do NOT want religion and politics as bed fellows! Your pastor MLA's and their idiotic comments scared people off of your party and now you get to "not" run the province.

The PC's are now going to feel completely and absolutely untouchable. Forget a political party, they are a freaking monarchy. The king is dead, long live the queen.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:02 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

The biggest losers seem to be the public opinion pollsters.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Fuggin Alberta, only here would I cheer for a PC victory.

Looks like Raj is going to lose his seat.
Shockingly, Sherman is leading right now. Maybe he won't resign, especially if they hold the four seats they're leading in and retain party status. Of course their vote did collapse to the PCs, especially in Edmonton.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:08 AM
Dont let the name fool u

Wow, never thought I'd say this, but boy am I glad to see the PC form government again. Not sure I wanted a majority, but sure beats having the wildrose IMO.
This was a pretty crazy election, and once again shows that opinion polls are becoming irrelevant.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:12 AM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
The biggest losers seem to be the public opinion pollsters.
Ain`t that the truth!!!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:14 AM
So very tired...

Wow, Sherman is 3 votes behind the PC candidate as of now.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:15 AM
So very tired...

BTW, Mack Male has a most excellent result tracker up and running: http://abvoteresults.mastermaq.ca/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:16 AM

Well, tomorrow morning thousands of traditionally Liberal Albertans will initially be thankful... Then they'll realize that they were tricked into voting PC when they didn't have to.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:18 AM
Dont let the name fool u

I'm surprised Calgary didn't go to wildrose that much. I thought more might go. I think th WR made a fundamental mistake by alienating voters in Edmonton.
It also looks like the Liberals are a rock caught in a hard place in Alberta. It seems that the "progressive" vote is clearly with the NDP. Is it because Albertans consider the PCs as the centrist party?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:34 AM
Home of Hyperchange

I think more and more people have to accept that most polls are seriously flawed. Most centrist, middle-of-the-road types can't be bothered to waste their time on them. It's the fringe nutcases who want politics to run on rhetoric and want everyone to know what they think that will answer any poll - hence the HUGE discrepancy we're seeing right now.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:36 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Genius View Post
I'm surprised Calgary didn't go to wildrose that much. I thought more might go. I think th WR made a fundamental mistake by alienating voters in Edmonton.
It also looks like the Liberals are a rock caught in a hard place in Alberta. It seems that the "progressive" vote is clearly with the NDP. Is it because Albertans consider the PCs as the centrist party?
I think the message might be that if you alienate Edmonton, you'll alienate Calgary too.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:37 AM
Khan

Very relieved. Nice to see Alberta make the right choice. It looks like fears of social conservatism really turned the tide.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:43 AM
So very tired...

CTV reporting voter turnout at only 46%. Thought it would be higher for this one.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
CTV reporting voter turnout at only 46%. Thought it would be higher for this one.
We'll see at the end of the day, as I believe that is an estimate only, extrapolated from the boxes already counted ... but agreed that at most it will tick up only 1-2% max. Personally I expected 50%.

Congrats to Alison Redford. I'm happy with her work on evolving the party in a progressive but measured way. I strongly feel they will be more centrist and not exclusionary.

Congrats to Danielle Smith on getting her first seat in the legislature, where I'm sure she'll be able to gain some valuable rookie experience. It was a valiant fight, and in the end she did, though by just a hair, win her seat.

Most of all, congrats to the Albertans who came out and voted. Good for you - good for all!

I did want all of the party leaders to win their own ridings, and unfortunately it doesn't look like it will happen for Raj. Fingers crossed it might change before the end of the night, but congrats to him for exceptional personal performance.

EDIT!!! - Raj is back in the lead!

Cheers.

Last edited by suburbia; Apr 24, 2012 at 4:20 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:48 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I thought it would be much higher. Hell, even I made it to a polling station, and I woke up in Newfoundland this morning.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 4:02 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Random observation by my sig. other...

We're watching the various speeches by the party leaders as they concede/celebrate. NDP/Lib - quite the diverse crowd they attract (obviously). Raj especially, tons of guys in turbans at his party HQ.

Then we're off to Wild Rose land. Huge, excited crowd as Smith gives her speech. Camera pans around quite a bit. S.O. starts saying "hmm, they're all white". Eventually she's making jokes like "Any minorities? I'll settle for just one. Brown guy? Yellow guy? Anyone?". And of course the PC HQ had at least one turban on display, just to continue the joke.

It was pretty funny. I'm sure it has more to do with the limited room in a party HQ, but it played into the stereotypes quite well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia