HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

re Hotel & Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 7:59 PM

what do you do with two bath rooms side by side and 840 additional square feet of nothing - is this how the rich live?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
what do you do with two bath rooms side by side and 840 additional square feet of nothing - is this how the rich live?
Urban Batcave?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I do agree that it's overpriced for the Ottawa market... but at a more reasonable price that's a great catch.
I lived in a place with a similar layout in grad school. I certainly didn't think of it as a catch, but it met my key criteria of cheap. While I'm sure the finishes are much better than the place I lived, it is pretty unpleasant being far from windows in the main living areas. If it was the cheapest condo available I could see the appeal to someone on a budget but I can't imagine people walking in and saying "what a great catch." For someone with a 400k budget for a condo in Ottawa I can't see the appeal at all.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 5:23 PM
Kickass User

As of last Thursday(Sept 15th), there were only 29 units remaining to purchase in the building. I was told that most of the original purchasers continued forward instead of walking away.

www.MattRichling.com
www.NewPurveyors.com

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 11:37 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Reside...-development/1

Quote:
Ashcroft to break ground on long-awaited re Sparks Street development

Craig Lord, Published on October 25, 2016

Ten years after discussions first began about developing a prime Sparks Street property, one block south of Parliament Hill, Ashcroft Homes says it plans to break ground on its condo and luxury rentals development on Thursday.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
Weird. There's already a big hole there.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 3:00 AM

I drove through downtown Toronto on the Gardiner a few hours ago on my way home from Niagara. I do this every six months, and every time, the amount of changes blow my mind. In Ottawa it takes 12-15 years to build this 16 story building in our CBD. Such a different world.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 6:31 AM

Toronto is going through a prolonged skyscraper boom of a magnitude you don't see in other developed world cities (at least, not in this era). Even major heavyweights like New York City lag considerably behind Toronto in the number of new towers built in the past 10 years.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I drove through downtown Toronto on the Gardiner a few hours ago on my way home from Niagara. I do this every six months, and every time, the amount of changes blow my mind. In Ottawa it takes 12-15 years to build this 16 story building in our CBD. Such a different world.
I'm sure Toronto has problematic projects as well, but we just don't hear about them as it gets buried in all the unprecedented growth. Remember that Ottawa has to deal with the extremely nitpicking NCC. Nothing like that in TO. And to be fair, the number of developments in Ottawa-Gat has been quite interesting for the past decade, in complete contrast with the 20 previous years which were unbearably stagnant.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 3:02 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Building up Sparks Street: A new condo joins Ottawa's historical tourist attraction

Evelyn Cimesa, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: November 18, 2016 | Last Updated: November 18, 2016 11:59 AM EST

They took it down, brick by brick. Mullion by mullion.

They carefully dismantled what remained of the historical façade at 106-116 Sparks Street and have placed it into storage, where a professional will be carefully restoring it. And now they’re finally starting construction.

They are Ashcroft Homes, Roderick Lahey Architecture Inc. (RLA Inc.), the National Capital Commission (NCC), and Cecconi Simone Inc. And they’re working together to design and build reRESIDENCES, a luxury condominium complex that will overlook Parliament Hill and beyond in Ottawa’s downtown.

Sparks Street is the commercial centre for the Ottawa valley, as well as the central location for government offices and parliament members. It’s home to some of the largest collections of on-tap and imported beer in the city, beautiful historical buildings and monuments, and it hosts some of Ottawa’s biggest festivals, including Poutinefest, Ribfest, and the International Busker Festival.

The condominiums are part of the NCC’s plan to revitalize Sparks Street. The idea is that, if people live on Sparks, businesses may operate to support them and the street itself will gain more pedestrian traffic. It’ll become more interesting and lively and will bring excitement to North America’s first permanent outdoor pedestrian mall.

“From the time we competed for this site, we saw it as an iconic piece of Canadian real estate,” says David Choo, CEO and Founder of Ashcroft Homes.

reRESIDENCES, designed by award-winning architectural firm Roderick Lahey Architecture Inc, will consist of two modern buildings: an 18-storey condo which faces Queen Street, and a 6-storey condo which faces Sparks Street. The Sparks location will incorporate the façade of one of the oldest buildings in the Sparks Street mall.

Originally, the builders tried to salvage the building and use what was already there, but portions of it were falling apart. The team carefully took down the building and are restoring what is salvageable and plan to incorporate it when erecting the new buildings.

“We have, very delicately, disassembled the building. Literally brick by brick, mullion by mullion. We’ve catalogued it; it’s in a warehouse. We hired a heritage restoration architect, recommended by Rod Lahey,” says Choo. “So, when the super structure is up, these windows and mullions are to be delicately restored and then brought back up to the site and then attached onto the finished building. And so, hopefully when it’s all finished, people will be able to appreciate the history that is being attached onto the building.”

The façade, originally built between 1870 and 1875, is being preserved and recreated and will be used to strengthen the continuity of the existing architecture. It will help make reRESIDENCES fit into its historical community and pay homage to the rich history of Sparks Street while still fitting in with Ottawa’s modern skyscrapers.

Dr. Mark Kristmanson, CEO of NCC, says that he is delighted to have this new pediment with excellent design and conception. He believes that it will be well received by all residents and visitors in the capital who visit Sparks Street.

The buildings will feature amenities such as a professional full-service spa, a fitness centre with state-of-the-art equipment, a theatre, a games room and lounge, a pet spa, a party room with a catering kitchen, a private wine cellar, and the SkyLounge, an exclusive club with a front row view of all of the excitement of Parliament Hill.

Suites vary in size from a traditional open-concept one bedroom with balcony at 475 sq. ft. to a penthouse suite that features two bedrooms, a lounge, an optional library, and up to two balconies at 4345 sq. feet. Prices start at $400k and go up to $4.8M. Individuals can choose from high-end features such as plank hardwood, porcelain, or ceramic flooring, sybaritic baths or rain showers, state-of-the-art appliances, water closets, and more.

The luxury condos will be within walking distance to the Peace Tower, Centennial Flame, National Arts Centre, Rideau Centre, and Byward Market. The two new Ottawa light rail stations, upon completion, will be nearby as well.

“It’s going to be the signature residential building on Sparks overlooking this magnificent Parliament precinct and so we look forward to 2018, when we can open this building and have people living back on Sparks Street,” says Choo.

http://ottawacitizen.com/life/homes/...-sparks-street

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 3:07 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

"Sparks Street is the commercial centre for the Ottawa valley, as well as the central location for government offices and parliament members."

LOL! Yeah right.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 3:18 PM

Sparks Street is the commercial centre for the Ottawa valley

Seriously? It's not even the commercial centre for centretown. Nice fiction.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 3:37 PM
Busy Beaver

"it hosts some of Ottawa’s biggest festivals, including Poutinefest, Ribfest, and the International Busker Festival." Moar LOL.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOWINYOW View Post
Sparks Street is the commercial centre for the Ottawa valley

Seriously? It's not even the commercial centre for centretown. Nice fiction.
This is downtown. Centretown is south of Gloucester.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
This is downtown. Centretown is south of Gloucester.
I've never seen that distinction made before.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 11:47 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I've never seen that distinction made before.
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Cen...9!4d-75.696404

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
"it hosts some of Ottawa’s biggest festivals, including Poutinefest, Ribfest, and the International Busker Festival." Moar LOL.
LOL at Poutinefest sure (though it does get lots of people out), but Ribfest, yes, is easily one of the best-attended things that happens in Ottawa.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 3:38 PM

This is such a classic example of Ottawa.

People complain (rightly so) about Sparks Street being dead after 5pm on weekdays because nobody lives near there and everybody just hops on their express busses back to the suburbs.

Well, here's a project that's starting to address this problem by making it possible for people to live on Sparks Street. This one condo isn't going to solve the problem but it's a small step in the right direction towards solving the #1 biggest problem with both Sparks Street and the downtown core writ large.

Is there one single positive comment on this article? Nope.

Yeah, I agree it's ridiculous to claim that Sparks is a commercial centre of any kind. But if that little bit of fiction is the spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down, I'm happy to swallow it in the hopes that reResidences is just the start of a larger positive trend towards moving people back into the downtown core like in any other normal city.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 9:15 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

^ You must be new here.

You are prohibited from liking and/or complimenting and/or praising Ottawa, anything in it, or about it. It's a requirement of this forum and also of residency in this city. It may also be a Canadian citizenship requirement.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 9:53 PM

I'm not sure a lack of condos is the cause of Sparks street being the way it is and I'm not sure more condos is the solution. Because of the lack of residents, Sparks is one of the few places where it is possible to make noise and attract events and large patios. Start adding condos and nimbys start calling 311 and it is even more dead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa