HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Obviously the big 4 US-based leagues get a lot of coverage in the national media. And people can dump on the CFL all they want, but it gets a fair bit of ink too. Conversely, the NLL, AHL and even CHL can offer up some pretty awesome action but they are roundly ignored at a national level except for maybe the championship finals. U-Sports basketball definitely fits into that latter category.
I understand the lack of coverage for the AHL, but the NLL and CHL kind of puzzle me. People only really care about the CHL when it's the World Juniors or Memorial Cup, and for the NLL you'd think a pro league with tons of big market Canadian teams (and a player base comprised of 80% Canadians) would be much bigger news.

Seriously, even when Toronto was dominating the league, the NLL was still largely unknown.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 9:33 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I hate to be a debbie downer but I don't see this as a cross-Canada cultural exchange or common ground at all.

St. John's doesn't play in the same league as Toronto and never will. Neither will most other Canadian cities who may have or get pro basketball teams in the future. The pro basketball landscape in Canada will likely be the NBA only in Toronto, a rinky-dink all-Canadian league in 6-10 cities (some big some smaller) and a couple of other Canadian teams taking part in B-grade U.S.-based leagues.
I'm not sure how Toronto snuck into the conversation. Basketball becoming culturally relevant in Newfoundland will create common ground with it and the other 3 provinces in Atlantic Canada. Newfoundland was the only one without a NBL team and the only one where basketball was not part of water cooler chatter; and yes Maritimers do talk about their basketball teams (NBL, university, and occasionally even high school).

With basketball gaining traction in Newfoundland it should create another source for talent for both U Sports, our national teams, and maybe even an NBA player one day. Great talent can come from anywhere but it's far less likely to develop if basketball isn't relevant in the local culture.

Toronto won't develop bonds with Newfoundland because of a common interest in basketball but they don't pay attention to the East Coast in general.

Last edited by isaidso; Feb 8, 2019 at 9:47 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 9:43 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Heck, are any denizens of the 416 even aware of other parts of Canada, or is Canada just a theoretical construct for them?

I have met Torontonians like this.........
When I tell Torontonians that Halifax got professional basketball before Toronto did they don't believe me or roll their eyes and condescendingly comment that Halifax is not in the NBA and never will be. They've never heard of the NBL of course. The few that have say it doesn't count.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 9:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'm not sure how Toronto snuck into the conversation. Basketball becoming culturally relevant in Newfoundland will create common ground with it and the other 3 provinces in Atlantic Canada. Newfoundland was the only one without a NBL team and the only one where basketball was not part of water cooler chatter; and yes Maritimers do talk about their basketball teams (NBL, university, and occasionally even high school).

With basketball gaining traction in Newfoundland it should create another source for talent for both U Sports, our national teams, and maybe even an NBA player one day. Great talent can come from anywhere but it's far less likely to develop if basketball isn't relevant in the local culture.

Toronto won't develop bonds with Newfoundland because of a common interest in basketball but they don't pay attention to the East Coast in general.
Well, you didn't specify Atlantic Canada and talked about the country in general. One quarter or more of Canadians are Toronto or at least GTA types.

My point is simply that in most countries, Toronto and Halifax in spite of the size disparity would be in the same pro basketball league. That's the type of stuff that builds relationships, affinities, commonality and rivalries.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 9:59 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The CEBL is looking to fill that void and seems to be on the way to filling it more than NBL ever could.
From a basketball fans' perspective it's frustrating seeing a rival league to the NBL enter the fray. For the vast majority of Canada, they'll never get an NBA team. Finally we have an organization trying to fill a void, showing some staying power, and a long comes the CEBL. Surely Canada only has room for 1 professional basketball league.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 10:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
From a basketball fans' perspective it's frustrating seeing a rival league to the NBL enter the fray. For the vast majority of Canada, they'll never get an NBA team. Finally we have an organization trying to fill a void, showing some staying power, and a long comes the CEBL. Surely Canada only has room for 1 professional basketball league.
I am sympathetic to these feelings but bemoaning this is like a chainsmoker who is mystified as to why he is coughing all the time.

The reason why starting national leagues in Canada (only) is so perilous an exercise is because the largest city or cities are either absent or present but only partly interested.

That's one of the reasons why upstart leagues often cannibalize each other to mutual death in this country. No one would challenge a Canadian national basketball (or soccer) league with decently strong clubs in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Those biggest cities would drive the success and prestige of the league (in various ways including media attention, sponsorships, etc.), as the main cities do in any other country in the world.

The answer to the question "why can't we have nice things/sports leagues?" is right there.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 10:10 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Well, you didn't specify Atlantic Canada and talked about the country in general. One quarter or more of Canadians are Toronto or at least GTA types.

My point is simply that in most countries, Toronto and Halifax in spite of the size disparity would be in the same pro basketball league. That's the type of stuff that builds relationships, affinities, commonality and rivalries.
Sure, but most of the country are not going to be joining Toronto in the NBA. The vast majority of the country will view basketball in terms of their university teams, the NBL which will be Canada's pro basketball league (Toronto excluded), and our national teams.

I realize the NBL is very young and small but surely it rather than the NBA will become Canada's pro basketball league.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 10:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Sure, but most of the country are not going to be joining Toronto in the NBA. The vast majority of the country will view basketball in terms of their university teams, the NBL which will be Canada's pro basketball league (Toronto excluded), and our national teams.
Unfortunately due to the absence of the largest city or cities (and their media and sponsorship oomph), these leagues will likely always be on the edge of floundering. When they don't flounder outright.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 10:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I used to care a whole lot and feel strongly about this issue we're discussing.

That's no longer the case really, but I still enjoy a good discussion. And my views about this have not changed.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 10:56 PM
The New Republic

^^ That's quite alright with me. I enjoy a good discussion as well. My strong feelings on this issue have morphed into casual interest into how we manage a pro sports landscape that will always be divided. It's almost like the promotion/relegation sports system in Europe except it's Canadian cities divided into 1st division US based leagues and 2nd division Canadian based leagues.

Quote:
Unfortunately due to the absence of the largest city or cities (and their media and sponsorship oomph), these leagues will likely always be on the edge of floundering. When they don't flounder outright.
I agree with you there. This country has the benefit and curse of US proximity. I can't think of a sizable developed country in this predicament. How do you develop a sport in a country where the largest city or a few of them are siphoned off.

The CHL gets completely ignored because 7 Canadian cities have NHL teams. The CPL will somewhat get ignored because 3 Canadian cities have MLS teams. The CFL gets attention in much of Canada because there are zero Canadian cities in the NFL. MLB gets attention because there's no alternative.

It follows that the NBL (if it has staying power and expands) will exist somewhere between the CFL and CPL.

Last edited by isaidso; Feb 8, 2019 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 6:17 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Yes but the NBL has had nearly a decade to expand beyond Atlantic Canada and Southern Ontario and hasn't really done much with it. Yeah, St. John's and Sudbury are doing ok in their first seasons, but the league bombed out of Ottawa and Niagara switched to CEBL.

Majority of NBL players are simply Americans not good enough for NBA/G-League. There are more Canadians than there used to be but I find the rosters mostly underwhelming. I'm sure a basketball league would garner more casual interest if it featured as a developmental path following USports.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Don Jackson - 1962 World Figure Skating champion - Prague
Great commentary by Jim McKay and Dick Button (ABC Wide World of Sports) to add to the excitement when the marks were given.

"I'm glad I could do it for Canada" That's just too cool for school!

BTW, no one did a triple lutz in competition for the next 12 years.
Just found this reverse angle footage of arguably the greatest individual Canadian sporting performance of all time (with homage to Don Bailey as well)

If you're a real fan of sports history you owe it to yourself to watch the video from the quoted part first if you are not familiar with the story. Perhaps the first "Miracle on Ice"

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 9:54 PM
ハルウララ

Nunavut wins historic 1st main draw game at Scotties
The Canadian Press - February 16, 2019

Territory beats Quebec 4-3 in extra ends

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/c...ults-1.5022793

-----

Quebec have been absolutely abysmal this Scotties. Their record so far is 0-4:

Quebec 3-4 Nunavut
Quebec 2-8 Northern Ontario
Quebec 3-7 Manitoba
Quebec 2-12 Ontario

Congrats to Nunavut on their win, though, all things considered.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 4:26 AM
The New Republic

double post

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 4:27 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Yes but the NBL has had nearly a decade to expand beyond Atlantic Canada and Southern Ontario and hasn't really done much with it. Yeah, St. John's and Sudbury are doing ok in their first seasons, but the league bombed out of Ottawa and Niagara switched to CEBL.

Majority of NBL players are simply Americans not good enough for NBA/G-League. There are more Canadians than there used to be but I find the rosters mostly underwhelming. I'm sure a basketball league would garner more casual interest if it featured as a developmental path following USports.
I agree with all that. If the CEBL does better NBL teams could switch to the CEBL rather than fold.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 8:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Watching Sports30 on RDS (equivalent to SportsCentre on TSN) I was reminded this week that the Quebec City pee wee hockey tournament is on right now. I believe they - like most Quebec media outlets - are featuring the tournament with daily reports. The players are aged 11-12 and often play in front of NHL size crowds.

The report I saw aired at :17 minutes past the hour on the national sportscast.

Usually the tournament's championship game is broadcast live on one of our sports channels (RDS or TVA Sports), though in the past I am pretty sure I've seen it on the SRC (CBC) or TVA main network too.

This is the 60th edition of the tournament, which runs during the Quebec City winter carnaval. This year teams from about 20 countries are taking part.

Over the years more than 1,000 players who went on to play in the NHL have taken part in the tournament, including these guys:

Guy Lafleur
Marcel Dionne
Mike Bossy
Pat LaFontaine
Steve Yzerman
Mario Lemieux
Brett Hull
Patrick Roy
Mike Modano
Brendan Shanahan
Eric Lindros

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 8:31 PM

It must be quite the thrill to play in front of a crowd like that when you're 12...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 8:38 PM

Quote:
I agree with all that. If the CEBL does better NBL teams could switch to the CEBL rather than fold.
That's assuming the CEBL would allow NBL teams to join the league if NBL folds. NBL seems to be a bit bush league.

NBL wiki
Quote:
...The 2014–15 NBL season ended in controversy as the Windsor Express were declared winners of the Championship series after the Halifax Rainmen failed to show for the seventh and deciding game. The Rainmen organization claimed that their players feared for their safety following a physical altercation earlier in the day with the Express, as the reason for not appearing in the game that night.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 8:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It must be quite the thrill to play in front of a crowd like that when you're 12...

I've read biographies for Guy Lafleur and Wayne Gretzky and the tournament figured prominently in both, as turning points not only in their hockey careers, but also in their lives.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 12:18 AM

No surprise but looks looks like Regina will be hosting Grey Cup seven years after last hosting/winning cup, this time at New Mosaic Stadium in 2020.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4508706/r...2020-grey-cup/

https://www-cbc-ca.cdn.ampproject.or...2020-1.5029021

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada