HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 12:15 AM

I think the first version looked better, and that's not saying much. Uninspired Garbage

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 12:17 AM

if this is anything like the last time, the economy will tank right before this has a chance to get off the ground, and that may be the only thing that saves us at the 11th hour once again

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 12:18 AM

Ogilve to Lake. River walk to Michigan. Water Taxi back to Sears. Skydeck. Sears to Buckingham. Then to Maggie Daley. (Which let me tell you, for one parent and a fast kid is a child abduction nightmare). Grant to LSE. Back to Michigan and the water taxi. Ogilve and home. All with a 4 year old, stroller, backpack, sunscreen, snacks, bathroom breaks and camera.
Pictures to follow once I recover.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 1:02 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
seriously, how F'ing hard is it to just match the original design and use similar limestone if all you want to do is add a few floors. no one would complain. every proposal for this building is always such a hack job. its beyond frustrating. theres a time and place to be contextual...this would certainly be one.
I would very much be a proponent of the original tower design by Graham Anderson Probst & White. Using quality materials, I think it would look fantastic.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 1:31 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Ogilve to Lake. River walk to Michigan. Water Taxi back to Sears. Skydeck. Sears to Buckingham. Then to Maggie Daley. (Which let me tell you, for one parent and a fast kid is a child abduction nightmare). Grant to LSE. Back to Michigan and the water taxi. Ogilve and home. All with a 4 year old, stroller, backpack, sunscreen, snacks, bathroom breaks and camera.
That was an.... interesting... route to take haha. Fortunately, child abductions are exceedingly rare, and especially unlikely by strangers. Sounds like you had a good day though! Looking forward to the photos.

As for the redesign at Union Station. I think I'd be more likely to step in front of a train than onto one if I went there after seeing that abomination of an addition.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I would very much be a proponent of the original tower design by Graham Anderson Probst & White. Using quality materials, I think it would look fantastic.
exactly. blueprints for a respectful addition already exist, and the original architects were kind enough to leave them behind. just use them! how much simpler can it get. what architect can honestly look at this proposal and honestly feel they are enhancing this landmark structure? just for once, would it hurt to come out and say "this is a historical design and we dont want to fuck it up so we're going to seamlessly expand it using identical materials and design cues"? but then that would require an ounce of humbleness....

as bad as a tasteless bungalow pop top

just. stop.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jun 26, 2018 at 1:59 AM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 1:52 AM

6-25-18
Grow South Loop, Grow!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 2:03 AM

6-25-18
The Growing North Wall

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 2:04 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
exactly. blueprints for a respectful addition already exist, and the original architects were kind enough to leave them behind. just use them! how much simpler can it get. what architect can honestly look at this proposal and honestly feel they are enhancing this landmark structure? just for once, would it hurt to come out and say "this is a historical design and we dont want to fuck it up so we're going to seamlessly expand it using identical materials and design cues"? but then that would require an ounce of humbleness....

as bad as a tasteless bungalow pop top

just. stop.
This. 100x this.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 2:12 AM

-25-18
Our Changing River

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
good times

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 9:55 AM

145 S Wells

June 25

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 3:02 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post

^ I hope that historic building on the right of this picture continues to remain there in perpetuity. We need to preserve building stock like this before it's all gone

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I hope that historic building on the right of this picture continues to remain there in perpetuity. We need to preserve building stock like this before it's all gone
I believe it's being converted into residential or undergoing decently big renovation. I'll have to look later...don't remember which.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Agreed. But definetly a fixer-upper.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 4:30 PM
1st Ward

Great pics, Harry!

Man, that fugly garage on the corner of Wells and Monroe really needs to bite the dust.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Great pics, Harry!

Man, that fugly garage on the corner of Wells and Monroe really needs to bite the dust.
Agree the garage is awful. Fortunately it’s only three floors so it’s an easy demo

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 9:07 PM

Does anyone have any recent pictures of the Union West site? I drove past today and it looks like they are doing some serious below grade work. I'd imagine tower crane/cranes aren't too far off.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Okay I found it. There was a permit issued on 12/14/2017 for a project of $1.2M estimated cost to convert floors 2-8 to 36 residential units from the current office use. So it appears that the building will stay and hopefully even the facade could be cleaned a little.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Agree the garage is awful. Fortunately it’s only three floors so it’s an easy demo
I wonder in the owner’s of the garage also owns the office building in front of it (120 S. LaSalle, CIBC). I always thought an office addition would make perfect sense there - punch some holes in the wall. The elevator banks are already there on the west side of the office building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations