HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 7:26 PM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownserg89 View Post
i MIGHT work at buckhorn grill, over at 18th & L.

wish me luck!
Good luck! I'll drop down from the apartments above and say hi.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 3:24 AM
BUFF$LUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSac View Post
Good luck! you can cut me extra large pieces of meat when I go there.
haha, i just love that sentence! but yeah, if i get the job.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 3:25 AM
BUFF$LUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimnebulin View Post
Good luck! I'll drop down from the apartments above and say hi.
sounds cool man.
you live in those?
what's it like?

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 7:51 AM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownserg89 View Post
sounds cool man.
you live in those?
what's it like?
My place is barren - no furniture yet! But I finally bought a TV today!

Otherwise, great location, good site management, nice colors, cheap cabinets, and a bit pricey, but overall it's pretty good.

Pics:

My sweet view of the Alfa Shop!

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 10:37 PM
Kodachrome

Cool digs Grimnebulin... you might be able to see the Towers go up from your western view

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 10:46 PM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Nice place! How long have you been living there (with nothing in it)?

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 10:52 PM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
Cool digs Grimnebulin... you might be able to see the Towers go up from your western view
Thanks - I'm hoping I'll be able to see them when they are completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmtbr View Post
Nice place! How long have you been living there (with nothing in it)?
Been here about 2 months but a had a lot of stuff going on - furniture to be ordered this weekend...finally! I've actually gotten used to the spartan lifestyle..it's not so bad and I'm actually a bit hesitant to buy furniture!

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 7:12 PM
BUFF$LUT

hey that's a really cool pad. i'd hella live there.
how much is rent?

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 7:19 AM

By Bob Shallit - Bee Columnist
Published 12:00 am PDT Saturday, May 19, 2007
Story appeared in BUSINESS section, Page D1

Rack 'em: Midtown's Blue Cue has closed temporarily so partners Randy Paragary and Mike Heller can remodel the decade-old fun spot.

They hope to have the place -- which sits above Centro Cocina Mexicana at 28th and J -- reopened by June 9. Planned changes include a dramatic entry with a "chamber of lighted blue glass," a deck on the back of the joint, new TVs, updated wall and floor surfaces and an enhanced menu.

Heller says the 28th and J area has lost some luster with the arrival of so many new eateries and nightspots elsewhere in midtown and downtown. But it's ready for a comeback, with the recent opening of Gianni's Trattoria, a planned face-lift at Harlow's and his project.

"There's going to be a renaissance (there) and we'll be leading the charge," he says.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 7:52 AM

I was walking past Azukar at 17th and J (where Twisted 88's used to be) tonight, the place was PACKED with a big line . There were some HOT women waiting in line as well. The whole area around there was packed with people in the streets and different places

Anyone had a chance to check it out?

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 6:55 PM

Ok I finally went to the Stone Grill at L and 21st. The concept is that you grill your own food at your table on these moisture sensitive square stones. I thought the concept was pretty dumb and it didn't taste any better than if they had cooked it in the kitchen. I thought it was pricy for having to cook my own food and the meat wasn't that good. The entire staff practically 'attacked' us as we entered- it felt kind like walking onto a used car lot.

The upstairs atmosphere is like a strange quasi-mountain lodge with a tacky mountain scene painted on the walls, fake fireplaces and waterfall. The windows are lower than the tables so you can't really see out only down. I don't think it's going be around for long unless they change the concept.

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 7:38 AM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post
I was walking past Azukar at 17th and J (where Twisted 88's used to be) tonight, the place was PACKED with a big line . There were some HOT women waiting in line as well. The whole area around there was packed with people in the streets and different places

Anyone had a chance to check it out?
HOT women??? Sounds like it needs to be one of my stops when I visit in a couple weeks. Speaking of which, MEAT on Friday, June 1st anyone?

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 3:48 AM

Nibbling on nostalgia
New restaurants fill the bill for closed favorites
By Mike Dunne - Bee Restaurant CriticContributors to the Sacramento wing of the Web site Yelp have had some bittersweet fun lately as they have lamented the loss of several old-time local restaurants and specialty food shops.

I also miss New Helvetia, Atomic Pizza, Capitol Grill and a few others they mentioned, as well as some they didn't, like American Bran Stand, an original muffin bakery along 21st Street in midtown Sacramento. It closed a decade ago.

But the Sacramento food scene is stronger and more interesting now than it was then, and if you look around you'll find that several of today's restaurants and specialty food stores match or exceed the character, quality and value that folks miss about places long gone. Play along here:

Yesterday: New Helvetia coffeehouse, with its bean roaster up front and its pastry case in the back, occupied the historic 19th Street firehouse that now houses Mulvaney's Building & Loan, also a restaurant, but of a far different stripe.

Today: The relatively new Old Soul Co. springs from the same entrepreneurial spirit that produced New Helvetia, right down to the rehabilitation of an old building, a coffee roaster up front and warm housemade baked goods just out of the oven. Must be something about the neighborhood. Old Soul occupies a former warehouse in the alley connecting 17th and 18th streets between Capitol Avenue and L Street, just a short stroll from the former site of New Helvetia.

Yesterday: In the mid-1990s, Atomic Pizza not only sold pizza by the whole wheel but by the slice. Its crusts were made with organic flour, its tomato sauce with organically grown tomatoes. It also was the first cafe in Sacramento to sell a controversial line of soft drinks with names like Black Lemonade and Brain Wash.

Today: Uncle Vito's, which opened this spring next to Pronto at 16th and O in midtown, may not sell Black Lemonade and Brain Wash, but it does have 10 beers on tap. And just like Atomic Pizza, it's small, quick and casual, and sells pizza by the slice as well as the whole disc.

• Yesterday: Boy, do people miss Greta's Cafe, celebrated for its vibrant salads, house-baked breads and pastries, and luncheon dishes such as ratatouille, lasagna and quiche. The Mailbox feature in The Bee's Wednesday Taste section still gets requests from readers who want the recipe for something they savored at Greta's, like the saffron orzo pasta salad or the mulligatawny soup. After about a decade, Greta's closed seven years ago, its corner site at 19th and Capitol now a midtown branch of Chipotle.

Today: Greta Garverick sold her Greta's Cafe to Allyson Dalton, who also owns Fox & Goose Public House at 10th and R. Fox & Goose has been a longtime hangout for the same sort of clientele that frequented Greta's -- political bigwigs, newspaper columnists, weekend athletes and poets. When she bought Greta's, Dalton also got the cafe's recipes, and continues to offer at Fox & Goose several of the cafe's popular dishes, such as the cashew chicken salad, the Greek pasta salad and the nutburger.

Yesterday: For 12 years, Maurizio Contartese gamely tried to make a go of his Bravo Ristorante Italiano along Fair Oaks Boulevard between Howe Avenue and Munroe Street, just in front of a Borders Books but secluded behind a Swanson's Cleaners. He gave up a year ago. Contributors to the Yelp thread regret that his rustic Italian cookery, his boisterous parties inspired by the movie "Big Night" and the piano music of the late Mario Ferrari no longer are around.

Today: Much of the spirit that distinguished Bravo is available nearby, just down Fair Oaks Boulevard at Watt Avenue, where Cafe Vinoteca occupies a compact corner of Fountain Plaza at Arden Town Center. Cafe Vinoteca's interpretation of Italian cooking is broader and more contemporary than Bravo's, but the relaxed if lively setting is just as warm, and servers strike a similar balance between propriety and good humor. For music, an acoustic guitarist appears Wednesdays, and on the last Thursday of each month the restaurant bakes a large, complex and amusing timbale, the centerpiece pastry and pasta drum from "Big Night."

Yesterday: Whenever Sacramentans lament the passing of a fondly remembered restaurant, whether it be on the Yelp thread or elsewhere, someone inevitably mentions Capitol Grill, a politically themed bistro that Randy Paragary and Kurt Spataro opened at 28th and N in 1990. Walls covered with political memorabilia made it fun, while the restaurant's accessible style of heartland food at modest prices made it democratic. But seven years later, acting as if term limits applied to restaurants as well as politicians, Paragary and Spataro abruptly closed Capitol Grill and made it over into Twenty Eight, a pricier, even Republican, kind of destination. They then subsequently vetoed Twenty Eight.

Today: Speculation persists that Paragary and Spataro have securely stashed all the political posters, clippings, buttons and the like from Capitol Grill and someday just might create another version of the place. There's nothing else like it, though a few other restaurants provide a similar mix of populist cuisine and legislative wonks, including Paragary's Bar & Oven across 28th Street; Ink Eats and Drinks on the very site of Capitol Grill; The Broiler Steakhouse on the K Street Mall; and the downtown 4th Street Grille at Fourth and L.

Yesterday: Before today's massive, fussy and costly hamburgers, there was Tiny's Drive-In along Fulton Avenue, where you could get a burger that weighed just one-fifth of a pound, cost only $1.35 and was dressed up with only salt and pepper, shredded lettuce, diced onions and a proprietary Thousand Island dressing. It was light, simple and homey, but plenty juicy and flavorful. Tiny's drew a cross-section of Sacramento society -- spiffy secretaries, beefy contractors, plumbers in pickups, salesmen in sleek sedans.

Today: After more than half a century in business, Tiny's got razed earlier this decade, and I'm not sure where the old clientele drifted. To judge by the number of baseball caps at Burger Chief along Folsom Boulevard just east of 65th Street, however -- also known as Will's Burger -- several of Tiny's blue-collar customers landed there. The basic burger at Burger Chief is more or less in the same vein at Tiny's, though it's a little bigger and a little pricier. The rich patty weighs in at one- quarter of a pound, and is dressed with mayonnaise, a slice of red onion, a slice of tomato and iceberg lettuce in a sesame-seed bun. It sells for $2.75.

Yesterday: Nearly a decade has elapsed since K&Z Pork Store closed up shop in east Sacramento. Joe Martin had been turning out specialty meats there for nearly half a century. People still rue the loss of his 29 products, including Sheboygan bratwurst, Polish sausage, andouille sausage, liver sausage, landjaeger, bacon and ham.

Today: German-trained meatman Dirk Muller is keeping alive the artisan tradition of curing, smoking and packing specialty meats at his Morant's Old Fashioned Sausage Kitchen along Franklin Boulevard. He makes some 80 kinds, including a Chicago-style Polish sausage, smoked pork links, Sheboygan bratwurst, Mexican chorizo and old-fashioned weiners.

Yesterday: For eight years, Taka's Sushi occupied homey quarters on the southwest corner of 18th and S. It closed about a year ago, much to the regret of food enthusiasts who had come to appreciate the freshness and artistry not only of its sushi but of other Japanese foods on the menu. The place still is shuttered.

Today: Taka Watanabe, who opened Taka's Sushi, then sold his interest in the business more than three years ago to concentrate on other restaurants with which he is involved, is preparing to return to 18th and S this summer, where he is to remake the old quarters into a traditional Japanese restaurant and sushi bar called Ju Hachi, which is a Westernized version of the number 18 in Japanese. In the meantime, Lou Valente, who was overseeing the sushi at Taka's when it closed, now is holding forth at Zen Sushi at 15th and I streets, site of the former Zen Toro Japanese Bistro and Sushi Bar.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 8:23 AM

S st.

there is a lot of action going on around S st. from 19th to 21.
Finns Fish Market is due to open on June 2nd.http://www.finsmarket.com/
Daphnes Greek Cafe is "coming soon" and looks almost finished. they have a patio which is cool.
Next to the tracks on S st. by Finns a wine bar called Bacchus will be opening by Fall 2007 http://www.bacchuswinebar.com/index2.html

Still no date set for Tuli Bistro which has been coming along slowly but progress is being made and a month ago I got a notice in the mail about their license to sell liquor (I live in the neighborhood). they also have a menu posted upfront.

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 7:08 PM
Kodachrome

Hitting the high notes
Whether it's your first Jazz Jubilee or your 34th, here's what you need to know
By Dixie Reid - Bee Staff Writer

Friday, May 25, 2007

Grab your parasol, your dancing shoes and maybe a seat cushion. It's time for the 34th annual musical marathon known as the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee, which starts today and continues through Monday.

"You should come because it's the best party in town," says Jill Johnson Harper, executive director of the Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society, which sponsors the event. "It doesn't matter what kind of music you like, you will find something that pleases you."

With 850 musicians warming up for a long weekend of fun and fantastic sounds, it's time to start picking the things you absolutely don't want to miss. That can be a challenge -- musical events take place simultaneously in as many as 33 different venues.

Even Harper, a hardy Jazz Jubilee veteran, sometimes is overwhelmed by the possibilities.

"There is so much to do. We were joking the other day that you have this ($5) souvenir program and you can plan your whole weekend but never stick to your plan," she said. "I'll start at the first place I planned, and then I'll be on my way to the next one and hear something and want to stop and listen. And then the whole schedule is thrown off."

Here are some ideas, some jazzy highlights, to pencil in to your own jubilee weekend schedule:

The parade that launches the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee starts at 11:45 a.m. today near the California State Railroad Museum, 111 I St. in Old Sacramento. Clowns, marching bands, cakewalk strutters and vintage vehicles will set the stage for the four-day musical extravaganza.

The kids will want to see the Nemo Dream Mobile, a rolling submarine making its way around the country to promote the June opening of the new Finding Nemo ride at Disneyland. It is scheduled to be a parade float and afterward will be parked in Old Sacramento so that Crush the Turtle and Nigel the Pelican, characters from the movie "Finding Nemo," can visit with youngsters.

The music gets under way at 1 p.m. today at most of the venues scattered throughout Old Sacramento, downtown and in West Sacramento.

Latin jazz is back after a brief hiatus, with Paco Gatsby from Guatemala and La Candela from Canada performing from 2:30 to 5 p.m. Saturday at West Sax Landing in West Sacramento.

Also Saturday, Western swing will reign supreme at the Hyatt Regency. Stardust Cowboys, Igor's Jazz Cowboys and Lost Weekend will take turns playing from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The Emperors Jazz Band, made up of past Jazz Jubilee emperors (plus as-yet-uncrowned bass player Paul Keller), will perform all four days.

Jonathan Russell, the young violin prodigy who was unable to perform at last year's jubilee because of a broken arm, will more than make up for it as he sits in with 13 bands over the course of three days.

The headliner band is the Rebirth Brass Band from New Orleans, which was formed in 1983 and was for many years a staple on the streets of the Crescent City. Now the group travels the world to share its music, and you can catch it at 8:30 and 10 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the Firehouse Lot.

The second annual Lindy Hop Extravaganza, with its finals competition Sunday night at the Convention Center, is sure to draw a big crowd. And this is the inaugural year of Singles Unite!, which will have dance hosts and hostesses on hand from 7 to 11 p.m. today through Sunday at the Hyatt Regency's ballroom. The idea is to provide a dance partner for anyone who doesn't have one.

The jubilee had just settled comfortably into Crocker Park but had to abandon the site this year because of construction at the Crocker Art Museum. So the jubilee has expanded its base in West Sacramento with three venues in and around Raley Field, home of the Sacramento River Cats. The West Sacramento Rotary Club will host a pancake breakfast from 7 to 9 a.m. Sunday at the RV Pavilion there. Admission is $5.

To encourage folks to come out and sample the jubilee, organizers are offering bargain ticket rates. For 10 hours of nonstop music (1 to 11 p.m.) today, the price is $25 general, $15 youth (ages 7-20). After 7 p.m. Saturday or Sunday, the sampler price is $20 general, $10 youth. And on Monday, also known as "family bargain day," youths are admitted free when accompanied by an adult who bought a $20 ticket.

Jubilee organizers are offering for the first time a $20 souvenir CD. It features 19 songs performed by such jubilee stalwarts as Igor's Jazz Cowboys ("Tumbling Tumbleweeds/Happy Trails"), Tom Rigney and Flambeau ("Do the Zydeco"), and Mighty Aphrodite ("Mood Indigo").

The festival will come to a close Monday, going out with a bang. After the Memorial Day Salute to Veterans (10 a.m. at Swing Dance Emporium), there will be a patriotic music concert as well as blues, zydeco and mainstream jazz special events.

The 34th edition of the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee will wrap up after the closing ceremony at 2 p.m. Monday at the Swing Dance Emporium.

Then you can start planning next year's must-see jubilee list.

2007 Sacramento Jazz Jubilee
WHEN: 11:45 a.m.-11 p.m. today, 10 a.m.-11 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Monday

WHERE: Old Sacramento, Convention Center, Downtown Plaza, Hyatt Regency, downtown Holiday Inn, Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel and Raley Field in West Sacramento.

HOW MUCH: Four-day badge for all events: $100 general, $50 youth ages 7-20. Today only: $25 general, $15 youth. All day Saturday or Sunday: $40 general, $20 youth. Bargain rate after 7 p.m. today-Sunday: $20 general, $10 youth. Monday only: $20 general, $10 seniors 60 and older, free for youths accompanied by an adult with a $20 ticket. Free admission for children 6 and younger all weekend.

OFFICIAL PROGRAM: $5

2007 JUBILEE CD: $20

INFORMATION: Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society, (916) 205-0979 or sacjazz.com

Old Posted May 27, 2007, 9:11 PM

Garden Highway

A couple friends from Portland were in Sacramento yesterday, just for a few hours on their way to the Bay, and we went to lunch at the Virgin Sturgeon on Garden Highway. One had never been to Sacramento before and the other who had been here several times suggested we eat "someplace on the river", to give the other one a "Sacramento experience".

The Jazz Fest was happening so I didn't want to drive to Old Town and I expected the lines would be out the door everyplace on Garden Highway---Chevy's, Gecko's, Sturgeon etc. This was 12:30 pm, peak lunch hour, on Memorial Day weekend, beautiful weather with temps in the 80's and lots of boats on the river.

To my surprise the Virgin Sturgeon was only about half full, maybe 60%. There were open tables on the outdoor decks, open tables next to windows. We were there an hour and it never got any busier than it was when we arrived.

Food was decent, not great, but no complaints. Mostly it's about the riverfront views there. My friend who'd never been to Sac before enjoyed watching all the boats.

But what's up with the meager crowd? On an afternoon like yesterday that place should have been packed. Are other restaurants more in favor for riverfront dining now? Is there some kind of general slowdown in the Sac restaurant business? Everyone was at the Jazz Fest and didn't plan on eating til later?

Last edited by Phillip; May 27, 2007 at 9:35 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 2:22 AM
BUFF$LUT

parlarle is looking HOT!! VERY VERY VERY chic, and expensive looking. i'll try and provide some sort of image soon.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 5:49 AM
NIMBY Hater

Checked out Badlands on Saturday. It is pretty nice. And there were plenty of really hot straight women there for me to look at.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 6:11 PM

I'm really looking forward to this place. It should really light up that corner.

I haven't had the chance to dine at The Kitchen, but everyone I know that has gone and every review I read say it's an amazing dining experience.

Design Global, Eat Local

Another sign of Sacramento’s growing sophistication: When the owners of The Kitchen decided to open a restaurant on the K Street Mall, they turned to an international design firm with an impressive roster of clients to create the new restaurant’s look.

The Selland family hired UXUS Design (based in Amsterdam and Napa) to design their $4 million restaurant, Ella Dining Room and Bar, scheduled to open later this summer. The Sellands are in illustrious company: UXUS clients include Levi’s, Nike, McDonald’s, Comme des Garçons and Oilily.

Randall Selland, The Kitchen’s famously extroverted chef/owner, wanted Ella to have a look of rustic luxury that was “world-class, not provincial,” according to UXUS creative co-director George Gottl.
Located on the ground floor of The Cathedral Building at the corner of 12th and K streets, the 7,000-square-foot restaurant will seat about 200 people in three separate dining areas.

The main dining room will feature an open kitchen and floor-to-ceiling drapery panels that can be used to close off sections of the restaurant for privacy. The centerpiece of the room will be two tables d’hôte, or host’s tables, next to the kitchen.

There will be a small private dining room and a communal table in the bar.

With its muted color scheme and understated lighting, the space promises to be “pale and brooding,” says Gottl’s partner, architect and creative co-director Oliver Michell. (A third partner, Erika Gottl, acts as general manager.) “It’s very postmodern,” George Gottl adds.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 6:24 PM
Hindrance to Development

The "Suzie Burger" restaurant went to Design Director last night and was approved. The plan is an adaptive reuse of an existing gas station structure on the corner of 29th and P. I like it on many levels: it is an adaptive reuse of a building with some architectural style, it will bring activity and light to a currently abandoned corner, which increases public safety, it brings back the name of a locally historic restaurant chain (they even found a former Suzie Burger cook to guarantee the authenticity of the burgers), and best of all, it's the kind of fine dining I like! I don't really care much (well, okay, at all) for most of this fancy-shmancy high-end dining, wine bar, euro lounge kind of stuff I see opening lately. I'm the sort of man who likes a burger and fries, preferably cheap.

Hours are supposed to be 11 AM-9 PM but they are exploring staying open until midnight. I hope they do--sometimes the call of the burger hits around 10:00 PM, and this place is a short walk from my front door.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area