HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Index in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Dubai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 5:55 PM

Smile NEW YORK | Mt. Sinai Center for Science & Medicine | 518 FT | 32 floors

My apologies if there is already a thread. I heard about this blgd. months ago, but, saw no recognition of it here. Understood the neighborhood was fighting it hard. I remember the original height was to be ~600 ft, but it been scaled down. I was flying into LaGuardia Wed. and could clearly see that this is well under construction and has surpassed the Annenberg Bldg. in height. So despite being just over 500ft. it is very prominent in the UES skyline. For this reason alone it is worthy of note. Unfortunately, I have no pictures. But it very visible, so, hopefully someone can get a current photo.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 3:26 PM
Danny proud New Yorker

I think this one is topped out...Here you go, here's some pics I took yesterday with my phone

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 4:54 PM

This should be an area of drastically more development, due to the hideous original. More skyscrapers would really create a contrast, and would it really be so bad to mix more office into the Upper East Side? The neighborhood around that area isn't quite as residential as most of the UES and I'm sure people would love to commute such a short distance (rents are actually cheap--Manhattan standards--past the upper 80s). I would think developing new CBD corridors, particularly around 125th street, which would really make Manhattan awesome, should be a priority... although obviously the far West Side is getting the most attention right now.

I really see no reason why 125th street isn't developed more--it would serve as an excellent node for commuters from the Bronx and the NY suburbs of NYC, and relieve pressure on Manhattan south of 96th street (or just open the entire island to massive growth). Most of Manhattan north of 96th street is incredibly underutilized, and it would really be intelligent of our political leaders to begin capitalizing on that potential. Why not put the new tunnel from NJ into a brand new rail station in the middle of Harlem?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 5:20 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ That probably will happen eventually.

As for the design of the building, the tower is nice enough, though far from original. The low-rise building, while shiny and new right now, looks like it will be oppressive in a few year's time. The large tan brick columns, once they get some grime on them, will look like an unadorned post-war brick building.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 6:08 PM
BROOKLYN

I was wondering what that was.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
(rents are actually cheap--Manhattan standards--past the upper 80s).
On the Far East Side, yes, rents are relatively cheap, or at least until the Second Avenue Subway opens.

But the part closer to Central Park (Carnegie Hill) is extremely expensive. Carnegie Hill is one of the priciest areas of Manhattan. There have been $30 million+ home sales.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 3:28 AM

Here is an old article from 2008 that explains why this building is going up.

4 East 102nd Street – Mt. Sinai Hospital

Quote:
Overview

Mt. Sinai Hospital in conjunction with the Durst Organization and Sidney Fetner & Associates are looking to finance the construction of a new proposed medical facility by building a gigantic residential condominium at 4 East 102nd Street. Sound familiar? St. Vincent’s hospital is looking to do something similar downtown with the help of Bill Rudin. The Sinai tower would be somewhere in the range of 600 feet high and 40 stories—the tallest building in the area. The sale of the condos would help to pay for a new 11-story Medical Center on Madison Avenue between 101st and 102nd. The architect for both the medical center and the residential development is Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. The Board of Standards & Appeals will have the final say on the proposal at a meeting on July 1st. Should the project proposal be approved by the board, it would become one of the tallest residential buildings in the upper 5th neighborhood as well as the largest development at the Mt. Sinai Hospital since the creation of the Annenberg building in 1976.

Like the St. Vincent’s Hospital development, the Mt. Sinai proposal had previously been received poorly by the neighborhood. The community board, headed by its Chairman Robert Rodriguez, recently voted against the project on May 20th citing that the absence of a provision for affordable housing could potentially have a negative impact on the community. Other critics of the project have argued that the tower would create a shadow over local playgrounds as well as part of Central Park. In addition, the project faced other issues. The project’s layout didn’t meet city zoning requirements, the height of the project would reduce the sunlight exposure of its side streets.

In defense of the project, Mt Sinai conducted an environmental review that concluded that the project would not cast a significant shadow on the open spaces in the park. In direct response to the criticisms raised by the community board, Jordan Borowitz, a representative for Durst, argued that while residences would be sold at a market rate, the proposal would ultimately generate an estimated 650 healthcare jobs as well as improved health care services. The project would involve the razing of three of four of the current hospital buildings as well as an extensive redevelopment that is expected to be completed in 2011. Pending the board’s approval on July 1st, Mt. Sinai Hospital hopes to begin the development as early as this summer.

Price Speculation – Investment Potential

Assuming that residences in the building will be priced at market, one would expect initial pricing somewhere around $1,500 per foot. By the time the tower gets built, presumably in 2010, those prices could well be $2,000/foot and up. The developers can easily justify these price tags with direct central park access (to the beautiful conservatory gardens) and southwest exposures which will be some of the best in the city. One can only imagine what the Central Park exposures will be like from 40 floors up. The bigger question may be the housing market in Manhattan—specifically in this tricky section of East Harlem. 1200 Fifth Avenue demonstrates this concern. It’s a beautiful pre-war conversion which has been selling slowly, in part because it’s a little far north. Savvy buyers realize that the Madison Avenue side of 103rd Street isn’t nearly as pretty as the 5th Avenue side. Many would call it an undesirable place to drop $3M on an apartment. Time will tell… and we’ll have our ears open after that July 1st meeting.
http://www.nycondoblog.com/4-east-10...sinai-hospital

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 6:09 AM
A before E

I was wondering what building that was, I remember seeing a tall tower rising on the north end of Manhattan when I was at the Mets game when I was visited back in May, but I never figured it out until now.

Honestly, it kind of looks like a much taller version of a tower that was built here in Portland a year or so ago....which nothing wrong with that cause I like the building that was built here, and from these pics the tower doesn't look that bad.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 5:42 AM
New Yorker for life

There was a thread for it once, I believe it was lost with the others. Still, I've been watching it rise on the skyline, which is easy to do where it's at.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 6:22 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 7:13 AM

Wow. I've never noticed that black behemoth out there.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 8:38 PM

hmm i like this tower i wasn't even aware of it being under construction

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 7:47 AM

As Puffy said, "Harlem on the rise"! I love Harlem and here's another reason why! There's diversity there and why not sprinkle masterpieces up in the East 100s! This building went up in a New York moment

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 8:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
Wow. I've never noticed that black behemoth out there.
It's unique for that part of the skyline. But it now has company.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 1:39 AM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/0..._fast.php#more

Fifth Avenue's Most Needed Distraction Rising Fast

Thursday, July 7, 2011
by Bilal Khan

Quote:
It looks like Durst Fetner Residential's new luxury rental building at 102nd Street between Fifth and Madison is going up pretty quickly. A tipster sent us these pics

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 21, 2011 at 6:54 AM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 1:58 AM
Danny proud New Yorker

pics from today

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 5:20 AM

This one pokes beautifully above the treeline in northern central park.

Very high quality glass.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 8:56 PM

I love this facade and glass its very unique. Well designed building I give this two thumbs up and it popped up out of nowehere

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 5:39 PM
Danny proud New Yorker

indeed this is a lovely tower with a wonderful facade. The only thing I do not like is the medical facilities facade;it reminds me of a prison

Here's a couple more pics I took today

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 6:55 AM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive