HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 2:18 AM

I went to Place 1604 today to drop something off for work and while I was waiting for the elevator I noticed a big sign promoting a future St.Hubert Express opening this summer. Oddly, the sign was gone by the time I left the building which was only within 5 minutes of arriving.

I heard (or read here) that there were plans to open an Express location in Dieppe, but I thought it was off Dieppe Blvd.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 3:14 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

It appears that we will soon be able to get Starbuck's coffee in Moncton Northwest (one way or the other).

Quote:
from CBC

Target to Partner with Starbucks in Canada

Minneapolis-based discount fashion retailer Target Corporation will partner with Starbucks when it opens its outlets in Canada, the retailer announced Wednesday.

The choice matches its strategy in the U.S., despite some speculation that it might team up with Canadian coffee chain Tim Hortons.

There are 1,097 Target locations with nearby Starbucks outlets in the U.S.

"Starbucks has been a valued partner for more than 12 years and an integral part of the Target guest experience in the U.S.," said John Morioka, senior vice president of merchandising for Target Canada.

"Our goal is to bring the true Target brand shopping experience to our Canadian guests, so expanding our relationship with Starbucks as we enter the Canadian marketplace is a natural fit."

Starbucks already has 1,130 outlets in Canada. The agreement with Target means that the majority of the retailer's up to 135 locations across Canada will feature Starbucks stores. Target plans to open its first Canadian outlets in March 2013.

“We continually look for new and relevant opportunities to bring the Starbucks experience to communities across the country, and this strategic relationship represents another way we’re able to create meaningful connections with both new and existing customers,” Colin Moore, president of Starbucks Coffee Canada, said.
I still think we will see a standalone Starbucks in the Mapleton Power Centre as well. Throw one in downtown and that would be the rumoured three new Starbucks that were to open in Moncton in the next couple of years.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 4:35 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

And one final thing before I go to bed......

Quote:
Pedestrian crossing in works

Thursday, February 16, 2012
Times & Transcript

By: Brent Mazerolle
Moncton wants to link Salisbury Road, Main Street over causeway traffic circle

There's good news for Salisbury Road-area residents who sometimes feel they are cut off from the rest of Moncton by the decidedly pedestrian-unfriendly causeway traffic circle. The city is taking a step forward in helping pedestrians and cyclists navigate the twin hazards of the traffic circle and the main transcontinental rail line that crosses it.

City council has approved the awarding of a contract to Crandall Engineering that will see the company come up with three separate conceptual designs for a pair of pedestrian/ bicycle bridges to safely link Salisbury Road and Main Street, most likely via the western head of the Riverfront Trail and the branch trail that leads cyclists and walkers to their own dedicated railroad crossing at the foot of Milner Road.

The design contract, worth about $70,000, will also require Crandall Engineering to take on some of the negotiations with CN to cross parts of land they own. As well, the provincial Department of Transportation owns some of the land in question.

The idea being considered involves two prefabricated bridges being installed, but how exactly it will all be configured is what the successful bidder will have to devise.

The connectivity project dovetails nicely with the city's recently completed Active Transportation plan, but it has something the city has been working on and talking to CN about for years.

It's perhaps no surprise, then, that veteran councillors Merrill Henderson and Kathryn Barnes moved and seconded the motion, which passed unanimously with all councillors in attendance at their last meeting.

Said Barnes, 'I'd almost given up hope this was ever going to happen, but I'm really pleased to see it here (on the council's agenda).' Under questioning from Henderson, the city's general manager of engineering, Jack MacDonald, discussed the state of negotiations with CN.

'We have a sort of agreement in principle,' MacDonald said, saying Henderson's comments about the negotiations with the railway being stretched out over years was accurate.

'Our first kick at this was to use where the second track had been abandoned (by the railway, which removed one track from its railbed through the city). But CN said, 'you're still too close to an operating track.'' Whatever the final design, the bridges will stand separate and independent of the railbed.

There's no immediate word on when the project will jump from the drawing board to the road way and railway.
And for any of the T&T reporters out there who see this (and we know you read this forum), I did not appropriate this article from the TelegraphJournal.com website. I found it (freely available) at a different site on the web. So there.....

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
And for any of the T&T reporters out there who see this (and we know you read this forum), I did not appropriate this article from the TelegraphJournal.com website. I found it (freely available) at a different site on the web. So there.....
Your source might be the same as mine -- and legit. Might as well share.

Anyone with a public library card can access all articles online (as recent as today's), but no photos.

1. http://er-re.gnb.ca/login
2. Log in.
3. Click ProQuest
4. Search terms: times transcript
5. Sort results by (on the right bar): Publication date (most recent first)

Ad-free. Your loss, T&T.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 3:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Nope, not the same site pierre, but as with the library site, photos aren't available. In any event, it appears that the Brunswick News paywall isn't quite as air tight as they let on !!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 5:03 PM
real estate blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcowboy View Post
I noticed something going on at the OLD ACTION trucks parts store on Edinburgh drive...a facelift of some sorts but no idea what is going there.
Targett's Window and Door Centre (Currently on Loftus St)

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 5:23 PM

Ah ok, cool...and going back to UPS, according to my friend who was at the UPS job fair, someone had asked where their location will be and the UPS spokesman said they have purchased or leased the hangar by the old terminal.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 5:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcowboy View Post
going back to UPS, according to my friend who was at the UPS job fair, someone had asked where their location will be and the UPS spokesman said they have purchased or leased the hangar by the old terminal.
A temporary solution I imagine so that they can get up and running quickly. I would assume they will build a new permanent facility just like Purolator and Fed Ex in the next couple of years.

If they wait a couple of years, they could even build on the north side of the airport close to Malley Industries after the runway gets extended to 10,000 feet.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 5:21 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Maybe, but it'd be an expensive proposition. They'd need to build a whole new apron up there.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 5:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Maybe, but it'd be an expensive proposition. They'd need to build a whole new apron up there.
But isn't this a principal reason why Dieppe is extending their industrial park in this location? It's supposed to be an "air industrial park" isn't it? This should mean direct taxiway access for some of the lots shouldn't it?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 9:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A couple of tidbits from the GMPDC February meeting agenda:

- The city indeed seems to be moving forward with the Transportation Discovery Centre at the Moncton Museum. There are a number of requests for variances being made.....

- There is a request for variances for a "64 unit residential building" to be built at 1212 Mountain Road. This address is for the ex-church which currently houses Blondie's Bar, near NBCC. My guess is that this will be a four storey building with 16 units per floor and therefore would be similar to other apartment buildings already in the area.

- There are requests for variances for a residential building on Flanders Court. I would assume this will be built on the vacant lot behind the YMCA and just up the block from the new campus of Oulton's College.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Allow me to loosely associate here. It was recently announced that Target will partner with Starbucks in Canada. It is interesting to note that the Sony Store in the Northwest Centre is closing. This is immediately adjacent to the Zellers that will be converted to a Target. Perhaps Starbucks will move into the old Sony Store space. This way, they could keep a separate store front, yet still have a direct connection to the adjacent Target store.

Perhaps the reason why Sony Store is leaving is because their lease wasn't renewed.......

Makes sense to me....

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 10:30 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

That's the way it has been marketed, yes. And I'm not suggesting they can't. However at the moment, the current apron doesn't extend much beyond the end of the terminal. The only expansion plans I've heard coming from the airport are with regards to the runway extension. They certainly could build their own, but there's space available on the current one, so I'd expect them to want to snap that up first.

I suppose they could always try to use Midland's as well.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 7:44 PM

What a beautiful sunny afternoon in Moncton. Perfect for taking some pics.

These were all taken earlier this afternoon. A few more posts to follow...

Hildegarde Plaza (Hildegarde and Mountain Road)

New store called Ana Banana. Looks like a baby/kids store perhaps. They are currently setting up inside.

Quizno’s (Lounsbury Centre) - opening date unknown

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 7:45 PM

Mapleton Power Centre

Sorry for so many pics but I wanted to capture a few different angles. I’m really looking forward to the spring so we can see more details of the development.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 7:47 PM

Mountain Road area

Old St Hubert’s location on Mountain Road - they finally made the building look like the sign.

Future Site of Pro Oil Change (Mountain Road and Savoie Drive)

http://www.prooil.ca/

Last edited by porchmouse; Feb 19, 2012 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 7:49 PM

Oulton College - New Campus - War Veterans Avenue

Oulton College new campus under construction.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 7:50 PM

Dominion Street Apartment Development

Valmond Robichaud Apartment Development on Dominion Street

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 7:52 PM

New looks for CIBC and Empire Theatres

New CIBC branch (Main Street and Wheeler Blvd)

Empire Theatre

This is what I am most excited for....Empire Extra. This will bring me back to Crystal Palace!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 8:38 PM

Empire theatre looks great!

Is that a big screen mounted on the front facade of the building?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Empire theatre looks great!

Is that a big screen mounted on the front facade of the building?
Hmmm good question. I didn't even notice it when we were over there, granted we almost got creamed a few times in the parking lot, so I was quick when I was taking the pics. I'll take another look next time I am in the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces