HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 9:05 PM

Weekend Road Trip to Winnipeg

I am considering driving up to Winnipeg to visit for the long weekend in the US. I would be there wither 1 or 2 days. What do you think I should go and visit in a 1 or 2 day trip in November?

Is FortWhyte worth it at this time of the year?

Thanks!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 9:24 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

manitoba museum human rights museum?
deer almond sat for lunch or supper? its closed sundays u will be in for a affordable treat.
the forks has a nice beer tap setup in the court yard now with many new local brews on tap.

maybe a small forum meet?

fort white check their website?

thats this weekend right?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
manitoba museum human rights museum?
deer almond sat for lunch or supper? its closed sundays u will be in for a affordable treat.
the forks has a nice beer tap setup in the court yard now with many new local brews on tap.

maybe a small forum meet?

fort white check their website?

thats this weekend right?
Thanks for the recommendations, I wasn't even thinking about food. Would be cool to try something neat.

I'll be going up with my family so I'm not looking for a forum meet up this time.

It's too bad a lot of the touristy stuff are closed for the season.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 9:59 PM

prairie 360 restaurant for a good view is a good start!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 10:51 PM

Fort Whyte looks like a good bet on Sunday. They do guided tours on Sundays and seem to have some Christmas themed stuff going on. The weather should be unseasonably tolerable for a day outdoors too. If you're going to the Southwest of the city you could try to double down on that part of town and go to Assiniboine Park. The polar bear enclosure at the zoo is actually excellent. And the cafe in the park's family center is a good place for lunch.

Try to go for brunch at Clementine when you're in the Exchange.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 11:56 PM

I hope you enjoy your brief visit.

The Forks marketplace is almost an obligatory stop, but it's actually used by the locals and not just a tourist trap, so it's pretty neat. Nearby is the Canadian Museum for Human Rights, an impressive structure built recently. If you have young kids with you I'm not sure if they would find it appealing, but I enjoy it. It's a bit expensive for Winnipeg standards, but for my money it's worth a visit just to take in the cool architecture alone.

I also agree that Assinibione Park / Zoo is a great attraction. The Journey to Churchill (polar bear) exhibit is rad.

Directly to the north of the financial core is the historic Exchange District. It has a wonderful collection of gems, and by some metrics is home to North America's largest intact neighbourhood of pre-WWI era buildings. Here you will find numerous cafes, restaurants, pubs, and a couple of nightclubs. 1ajs mentioned Deer & Almond; it's in this area as well.

Directly across the Red River from downtown / the Forks is St. Boniface, western Canada's only historic French Quarter. Unfortunately it gets a little less historic and a little less French every couple of years, so a quick walk across the pedestrian bridge might be worth it. You might luck out and hear some franco-manitoban jargon too!

Jeff mentioned Prairie 360. I've never been there since the restaurant / management change a while back, but it does indeed offer sweeping views of the city. It's located in the green revolving tower at the top of a highrise just across Main Street from Union Station / the Forks. Oh, and if you're into that jazz, there's a whiskey bar one floor below. If I recall they offer over 100 different varieties of swanky scotch and boutique bourbon. Oh, and ritzy rye, too.

There are guided tours of the impressive Manitoba Legislative Building, which I actually found to be interesting. Directly south of that, across the Assinoboine River, lies Osborne Village. This is the established urban residential area of the city. It's fairly dense, and along Osborne Street you'll find numerous restaurants, pubs, and trendy stores. It's probably the busiest shopping and entertainment area of the city.

If you're heading south on Osborne, hang a right at Corydon Avenue. It's our Little Italy (now becoming Little Tokyo with all the sushi joints popping up). Again, you'll find at least a dozen spots worth checking out. If you're tough enough try a winter gelato. Parallel to Corydon runs Academy Road, which is home to some higher end shops.

Damn, there's actually a lot to explore.

I can't really comment on Fort Whyte. I'm from the Calgary area originally and we have our share of bison; when my mother was in Winnipeg on business a couple years ago her party had a function there. I inquired about the experience and she kinda shrugged it off. So it may be cool but I'm not sure how unique the experience would be compared to what's offered in your area.

Well, that's what comes to mind. Again, enjoy your trip!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan