HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 12:51 AM

I think the nasty orange color is permanent, the new sign on the building has the same orange on it.

wrt to the brookside mall, it has been like that for quite a while, even before the call centres. Not too long after they expanded it, the small stores gradually closed up and it was mostly vacant except for Sobeys, K-Mart, Zellers and a few small stores. I remember going in there when I was a kid and K-Mart and NB liquor were the only stores in there, this would have been after the dominion store closed and before Sobeys moved from St. Marys St. It is interesting it hasnt been more successful retaining stores, I think it is because most people who live on the northside did the majority of their shopping on the south side (other than maybe groceries and other necessities) in the past atleast. It may be different now since there are more and more stores opening over there all the time. It is kind of sad really, I even remember not too long after the northside Walmart opened the mall advertised they were just a short drive from Two Nations X-ing. Hopefully since the Brookside area is really taking off in terms of residential development things will change for the mall. Im sure since the government offices have opened up in there atleast most of the existing stores there will likely survive.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 1:05 AM

Also, heard recently that the Fredericton Costco store has been delayed 6 months due to the Saint John store not performing as well as expected. I wouldnt be terribly suprised if the Saint John store doesnt attract many people from Fredericton since it isnt that much closer than Moncton and people likely continue to go to Moncton for other shopping as well (not just Costco). Also I doubt they attracted that many new members from Fredericton since the store in Saint John is still over an hour away and it probably doesnt attract too many people from up river either. I do however think the Fredericton store will do well once it opens.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 12:31 PM

That's sad to hear about the Costco store. The thing I hope they consider is that the Fredericton Costco store will be pulling from a good portion of the Northern part of the province; at least the River valley from Edmundston to Freddy. I doubt there's all that much traffic to the Moncton store from Edmundston currently, but with the Freddy store, that would be on the edge of day travel (especially with the highway going all the way up).

I was in the Superstore last night and saw the Orange seems to be extending inside, meaning it probably is permanant. Ugh... Who thought that was a good idea? It looks ugly to me... hell it reminds me of the old SaveEasy colours actually. Retro may be 'in' in some places, but Orange is never good IMO.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 6:00 PM

Word was that the Freddy Costco was to be the 2nd one in the province built with Saint John to follow later when conditions were right. However the "Energy Hub" hype persuaded Costco to move ahead with both Saint John and Freddy stores. We know what happened to the "Energy Hub".

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Word was that the Freddy Costco was to be the 2nd one in the province built with Saint John to follow later when conditions were right. However the "Energy Hub" hype persuaded Costco to move ahead with both Saint John and Freddy stores. We know what happened to the "Energy Hub".
I kind of figured thats what happened there, because I thought the Fredericton store was supposed to open first as well. Geographically it makes more sense thats for sure, for the reasons I stated above in my last post.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 8:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I would say that the opening of the SJ Costco has not made much difference to the Moncton store. It's still "covered with people" on the weekends and finding good parking spaces is difficult.

Our catchment area is mostly eastern NB, northern NS and PEI. Any business from SJ and Freddy I think is just gravy.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 8:52 PM

Moncton has the advantage of more shopping in general, and a 4 lane highway going direct between it and Freddy, so most Freddy shoppers will tend to go to Moncton and have a safe drive down and back, as opposed to the 2 lane highway it takes to get to Saint John.

I know mom and I are planning our annual XMas shopping, and Moncton edges out Saint John as our destination target mainly for those two reasons.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 12:09 PM

Portion of Queen Street to reopen to traffic Monday
Published Saturday November 27th, 2010
A2
BY HEATHER MCLAUGHLIN
MCLAUGHLIN.HEATHER@DAILYGLEANER.COM

After a three-month closure to upgrade services and the street network in the area around the $78-million Fredericton Convention Centre complex, Queen Street will reopen to one lane of traffic Monday at 10 a.m.

The street, which was closed between St. John and Regent streets, will reopen to one-way traffic only. St. John Street will reopen the same day.

The majority of parking will return along both streets, says a city hall news release. Right-hand turns onto Queen Street from Regent Street will no longer be allowed.

"I know our residents will be glad to get this section of Queen Street open again," said Coun. Bruce Grandy, chairman of the city's transportation committee.

"It is an important part of our traffic network and a vital link for many to access both the downtown and the Westmorland Street Bridge. I want to thank the travelling public for their patience during the street closure."

The closure and upgrade of Queen Street and St. John Street were necessary to allow for water and sewer upgrades to serve the eastend development and to widen Queen Street to handle the anticipated increase in traffic volumes expected in the area from the new projects.

The city's traffic consultant, ADI Ltd., had recommended that Queen Street house two-way traffic in the convention-centre block, but city council vetoed that recommendation and asked for an alternative traffic pattern configuration in order to meet Downtown Fredericton Inc.'s request to maximize on-street parking.

Motorists are advised that construction will continue in front of the Crowne Plaza Hotel and that the area around the convention centre and office building continues to be an active construction site.

Motorists are urged to be aware of equipment working in the area and watch for construction signs.

The new convention centre will officially open in mid-January. The office building is expected to be complete by the spring.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 3:29 AM
Nashwaaksissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
That's sad to hear about the Costco store. The thing I hope they consider is that the Fredericton Costco store will be pulling from a good portion of the Northern part of the province; at least the River valley from Edmundston to Freddy. I doubt there's all that much traffic to the Moncton store from Edmundston currently, but with the Freddy store, that would be on the edge of day travel (especially with the highway going all the way up).
How much traffic do Fredericton stores actually get from Edmundston? Quebec City is almost as close, there's less of a language barrier and it goes without saying that the shopping is better.

Quote:
I was in the Superstore last night and saw the Orange seems to be extending inside, meaning it probably is permanant. Ugh... Who thought that was a good idea? It looks ugly to me... hell it reminds me of the old SaveEasy colours actually. Retro may be 'in' in some places, but Orange is never good IMO.
I like the green and yellow design they use for the Real Canadian Superstores in the rest of the country - why can't they do that here?
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 5:11 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Because we aren't 'real Canadians'. (said with a Sarah Palin voice, don't'cha know).

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 11:30 AM

Northside rec centre delayed
Published Monday November 29th, 2010
A1
BY HEATHER MCLAUGHLIN
MCLAUGHLIN.HEATHER@DAILYGLEANER.COM

Business Fredericton North has hit some funding snags that are delaying an ambitious recreation development planned for the site of the former Nashwaaksis Arena.

Kent Brewer, president of the business improvement area organization, has told city councillors that Regional Development Corp. funding of $500,000 for the project remains secure until March 2012.

"Unfortunately, we ran into a little snag. The tenders came back well over original estimates, so we've gone back to the drawing board," Brewer said.

He said the business group is looking for some solutions to the obstacles.

"We're certainly committed to a phased approach, and at the current time, we're working with various levels of government, service groups and our member businesses to raise those funds that we're going to be short," he said. The $1-million concept plan is for an artificial ice skating rink in the winter, which can be converted to an outdoor ball hockey court in summer along with a basketball court, skateboard park, walking trails, fitness stations, a warming hut and washroom and changing rooms. Among other things, there would have to be a garage built to house a Zamboni.

Brewer said with Nashwaaksis Memorial School near the Johnston Avenue site, it's an opportunity to give those students access to a skating surface.

"Everybody's proud of Willie O'Ree Place and the opportunities it presents to sports and recreation, but unfortunately, for the kids at this school, the home and school (association) just couldn't afford to bus those kids up to that new facility," Brewer said. "They were left without an opportunity to participate in outdoor sports such as skating. They came to us to see if we could put in a natural ice surface for them."

Business Fredericton North began planning the development in 2009 with $9,000 to fund a concept plan. The city has agreed to in-kind support and will help with landscaping.

Trina MacDonald, general manager of Business Fredericton North, said the organization is now in the process of scouting partnerships.

"We're not going to turn anyone away who wants to participate."

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 11:32 AM

Grand-opening plans afoot for convention centre
Published Monday November 29th, 2010
A3
BY THE DAILY GLEANER
BYLINE 2

A city hall organizing committee is working on a grand opening plan for Fredericton's new Downtown Convention Centre.

A committee made up of two Fredericton Chamber of Commerce representatives, a local restaurant owner, the capital commission, convention centre staff, tourism personnel and the Crowne Plaza Hotel has been working on planning the official Jan. 12 ribbon cutting.

On Jan. 13, Mayor Brad Woodside will deliver his state of the city address at a dinner hosted by the chamber. Between Jan. 14-16, the building will be open to the general public for tours.

The organizing committee for the opening week has a few surprises in store for the event, but Woodside told city council recently that he's sworn to secrecy.

"It will be a huge moment in our history," he said. "We wanted the wow factor

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirjtc2 View Post
How much traffic do Fredericton stores actually get from Edmundston? Quebec City is almost as close, there's less of a language barrier and it goes without saying that the shopping is better.
That I don't know. Though with more options coming to Fredericton (slowly, oh so slowly....), plus the fact that it's just a 2 hour trip down four lane highway, it may be increasing. Plus while it may not necessarily be Edmundston, there's still everything else in the valley (Grand Falls, Florenceville, Hartland, Woodstock, etc...); Grand Falls and Woodstock being the bigger two pull points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirjtc2 View Post
I like the green and yellow design they use for the Real Canadian Superstores in the rest of the country - why can't they do that here?
I know. I loved the forest green "market" colours we had. I'm thinking they're having some second thoughts on the Pumpkin colour now too, now that they're seeing a full store decked out in it. The sign on Smythe was originally orange painted but they redid it in white. I hope they'll redo the roof facing back to white too.

And I already miss the "Fredericton Market" sign. Don't care for the Pumpkin "Joe" one already.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
And I already miss the "Fredericton Market" sign. Don't care for the Pumpkin "Joe" one already.
It is most likley going to be like the NEW LOBLAW Fresh Market concept stores they have here in Toronto. Believe me, the interior is going to be amazing when it is done...give it time. And the JOE is their branded clothing store they attach to the newer stores...a pretty decent line of clothes and decent prices...great for families.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 6:48 PM

I guess they just finished similar renovations in the Oromocto Superstore, I would assume the northside one will follow suit. Saw in the paper on saturday they had their grand re-opening.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
I guess they just finished similar renovations in the Oromocto Superstore, I would assume the northside one will follow suit. Saw in the paper on saturday they had their grand re-opening.
I think the northside needs a new store altogether. They should put one in the Two Nations Crossing area.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
I've heard from more than one source that the Northside store would be relocating to Two Nations and expanded in size. Current size is now considered too small for current market and will only get worse. I am a bit skeptical about this rumour because it would put them directly up against Walmart should Walmart decide to go the Super Walmart route at that location. Not sure if Walmart has an exclusivity contract with Smart Centres or not. Loblaws could purchase their own piece of land in the vicinity.

Time will tell....

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
I've heard from more than one source that the Northside store would be relocating to Two Nations and expanded in size. Current size is now considered too small for current market and will only get worse. I am a bit skeptical about this rumour because it would put them directly up against Walmart should Walmart decide to go the Super Walmart route at that location. Not sure if Walmart has an exclusivity contract with Smart Centres or not. Loblaws could purchase their own piece of land in the vicinity.

Time will tell....
I havent heard that rumor, but I think it would be a good idea for them move and open a larger store. Although I have heard that store doesnt really do that well, but it always seems busy, not as busy as smythe street but that store must be atleast three times the size of the northside or Oromocto stores. But like you say, with Walmart likely opening a supercentre up there at some point it might not be the best for them. Also, I'm sure when costco opens that will affect their business as well. From what ive heard now that will likely be late summer or early fall next year. Speaking of Costco, I noticed that some equipment was dropped off at the site there today (an excavator and bulldozer) not exactly sure what for, because I did hear from a reliable source they wont be starting the building until the spring.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 11:32 AM

You think it's tough clearing snow at your place?
Published Tuesday November 30th, 2010
A4

A construction worker is hooked to a safety harness as he shovels the snow away from the edge of the roof of the Richard J. Currie Center on Monday.

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/article/1330068

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 11:33 AM

Moving up at work
Published Tuesday November 30th, 2010
A6

The sunny weather was welcome on the construction sites around the city Monday. Above, labourers are shown working on the second level of the new YMCA facility on Albert Street.

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/article/1330111

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces