HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 2:54 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
After an excellent May and improved prospects for the season, the Jays have begun to sputter. Their offense isn't very good (Pillar, Tulo and JB are absolute zeros right now), their starting pitching isn't great either (Estrada and Liriano are struggling, Sanchez is injured and Biagini is unpredictable). Even their defense has been poor of late (Tulo has lost a step and even Goins has looked very ordinary).

So here's the question: what does the FO do as the trade deadline comes into focus? Rumour has it that the team is taking calls from teams on Osuna and Donaldson among others. The point has been made before that Osuna will never be better than he is right now. That relievers are unpredictable and that Osuna's injury history make him a ticking time bomb of sorts - i.e. trade him now. And then there's the Donaldson situation - 1 more year of control and then he's gone. Trading him would likely net the team a decent return of young players. It would, however, be a publicity nightmare.

My inclination is that they will stay the course. Spend money. Push for the playoffs. Hoard prospects. Generally, continue the slow-motion rebuild while still attempting to make the playoffs.
A lot can change in the 5+ weeks remaining until the trade deadline. It seems that the team is having significant difficulty in getting over that psychological .500 hump these past weeks. If things turn one way or the other, it will make the decision easier.

As for what they can do, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to blow up the team, since they are limited in how much of the team they can actually blow up. Tulo and Martin are still locked up long-term and, as high-priced, on-the-wrong-side-of-their-prime veterans, would be hard to move and even harder to get good future value for them. Outside of Donaldson, Osuna, and Sanchez, there would be little to get in return for any other players they'd try to move (although I'd accept you'd be selling very high on Smoak at this point).

I'm of the opinion that it would probably be wiser to try to ride out this year, in which the team has been riddled with injury, and with some luck, perhaps get into the WC picture, but try and tune the team for next season, which will hopefully have much better injury luck.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 3:00 PM
I am the law!

Scoring has been a concern for a while but, the starting pitching is starting to show itself to be human.

What happened to Tulo? I keep waiting for him to break out but, it's now 2.5 seasons later. He's been a 240 hitter since the day he joined the Jays. That's 60 points below his career average!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 3:08 PM

Ya he's in a bit of a slump right now, Smoak on the other hand has really broken away from the pack. My prediction we get over 500 the Canada Day long weekend here at home against Boston.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 3:20 PM
I am the law!

bit of a slump for 2.5 seasons ?!?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ulowtr01.shtml

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 3:48 PM

He's more of a team captain then a heavy hitter.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 7:16 PM

For Tulo, it's a combination of age and injuries catching up to him and no longer playing half his games at Coors Field. His OBP and OPS started to take a noticeable drop in his final season in Colorado and decreased further still when he came to the Jays. This year we have seen a further decline. If he can even produce to a similar level as last year, he is worth his contract. If not, it will be ugly for the final 3 years and the only way they will be able to trade him is if they eat a significant amount of it.

Considering the poor start (10 or 11 games under .500) my own goals for the Jays was to reach .500 around the end of June or the all-star game and go from there. With that said, I was pleasantly surprised by their May stretch and thought they would be above .500 at this point given how things were progressing. Alas, that was not to be and the problems that surfaced in the second half of last season - one-dimensional offense that relies on homeruns, poor RISP, poor team batting average, team dominated by right-handed hitters, slow base runners - have once again reared its ugly head.

At the beginning of the season I was flip-flopping between the Jays finishing .500 and grabbing the final wild card with 87 or 88 wins. I'll be a bit of a homer and say they figure things out (kinda) and grab that final playoff spot.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 7:44 PM

The funny thing is though we've only been around 5-7 games back from top spot all season, it's not as though other then the Yanks the American League east has many stand outs within it's ranks this year. I'm still confident we can make a run for a playoff position this year.

On a side note I hope we beat Stinky over the next 2 games in Texas. That's one ugly ass team with some fat ass fans.

source: mlb.com

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 7:47 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I want my Expos back.

wootypedia

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 7:51 PM

So do I.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 7:52 PM

If I could end the season tomorrow, I would.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 9:11 PM

Ya at this point I can't wait for the Hockey and basketball season to start in this city.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 1:57 AM

Nowhere else to put this but here:

The Vancouver Canadians baseball team are going to wear Montreal Expos baseball jerseys for "Tim Raines Day" in a game at home on August 22nd.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 4:28 PM

^Cool!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 3:04 AM

Canadian Joey Votto quietly having another MVP-Type season. Nearly a .450 OBP and an OPS approaching 1.100.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Canadian Joey Votto quietly having another MVP-Type season. Nearly a .450 OBP and an OPS approaching 1.100.
Quiet to us, perhaps.

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-cu...avorite-player

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 2:08 PM

Report: Montreal officials reached out to host Astros-Rangers series

Quote:
Sportsnet Staff
@Sportsnet
August 31, 2017, 9:01 AM

Montreal officials reportedly reached out to Major League Baseball, offering to host the Houston Astros for their series against the Texas Rangers this past week, according to MLB.com’s Jon Morosi.

Source: Montreal officials reached out to @MLB with offer to host #Astros this week before series moved to Tropicana Field. @MLBNetwork

— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) August 31, 2017

The series was eventually moved to Tampa Bay’s Tropicana Field due to flooding in Houston caused by Hurricane Harvey, in what was just the fourth occasion in MLB history of a series being moved due to weather concerns.

Morosi says that the Montreal offer was “well received” by MLB officials, despite the decision to play in Tampa.

Montreal hasn’t hosted a regular-season MLB game since the Expos left for Washington in 2004, but the Toronto Blue Jays have made a habit of closing their pre-season schedule with two games at Olympic Stadium.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...angers-series/

Could've been interesting...

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 9:45 PM

roy-halladay-dies-in-plane-crash/

Very sad news, just hearing Doc died in a plane crash. It goes without saying what a great pitcher he was. R.I.P.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 10:55 PM

Shocking news and sad indeed. A pros pro and just a great dude in general. RIP Roy

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 11:37 PM

Gutting.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 12:03 AM

That's heartbreaking. His twitter is full of posts over the last month showing how excited he was for that plane.

He was one of the few bright spots on the Jays for so long and now he leaves behind his wife and two kids.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada