HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
The McKnight location could become a poor cousin to the In-n-Out Burger at LAX Sepulveda Blvd.
I'm assuming that is the one I google map every time I land in LAX and head right there after seeing it on the approach. I've never seen a drive thru lineup that long in my life besides free milkshake day at Peter's.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 6:13 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Fatburger is expanding in Calgary

The McKnight location could become a poor cousin to the In-n-Out Burger at LAX Sepulveda Blvd.
Nah, not close enough to the approach of 34 to really work like that In-n-Out by LAX.

However it is a good option for spotters to refuel at.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 3:50 AM
BANNED

I needed to go into downtown today, and most time when that happens including today, I make a visit to Amin Donair on 7th Ave. While I knew it was coming, not until the owner told me did it sink in. After 40+ years as a Calgary Institution, it will be closing in October.

While some don't know about Amin Donair, it is absolutely the best donair in the city. No need to go large - just a regular will fill you, and make sure it is 'suicide'. With cilantro and his special indian hot sauces, there is no competition. Reason many don't know about it are two fold. First, it is in probably the saddest block on 7th ave, and many people don't stroll down that way. Second, they are such a small outfit that they really don't need any more people coming, so they never advertise. Visit at lunch and you'll see the line-up inside and the line-up outside.

Anyway - you all have till October to try it. Remember, order a regular, and ask for suicide. Let him add his ingredients, and savor the results.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/15999...Donair-Calgary

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 8:00 PM
BANNED

The interior of National on 10th is pretty amazing, and you'll like the place even more if you like testing out your eye-hand coordination while buzzed like me.

Edit-somebody told me that the bowling alley downstairs will extend all the way through to Craft's underground level.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 1:25 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Back in Calgary after a month in Germany and Denmark. Amazing time, needless to say.

Made a beeline on landing on Saturday for Kingsland FM and Kaffir Lime, the Indonesian place there. One of the best dining experiences in Calgary. Just a great way to help get over the melancholy around returning home from a great experience in Europe and to remind me of what's so great about Calgary. Asian food is another planet better here than in Hamburg or Berlin or Copenhagen. We're blessed.

For dinner I picked up a large order- which is plenty for two people- of kushiri from the new Shawarma Cairo, which opened while I was gone at what for many, many years has been Chocolate Bar. Excellent! I'd only ever had kushiri at Luxor and it was good but a little plate (which would have cost a nickel in Egypt of course) of rice, lentils, tomato sauce and fried onions for, if memory serves because this was easily 9 years ago, $5. The one at Cairo was twice as expensive but easily 4 times the food. Rice, macaroni, lentils, chickpeas and onions with a spicy sauce on the side as well as this concoction with vinegar and minced garlic. Just delicious and very good for leftovers. I talked to a guy picking up two shawarma for takeout and he raved about them too. Good prices- cheaper than Shawarma Knight. Space is done well but very, very hot but since I live a block away I can't see ever eating inside. I wish them well- they were doing steady business at 3pm so fingers crossed.

Edited to add that we got one each chicken shawarma and falafel and two piece of this almond cake called nomara last night. ABSOFREAKINGLUTELY FANFUCKINGTASTIC. Everything was beautifully fresh, chicken was gorgeous, falafel was fresh fried and amazing, the cake was house made and nothing like the stodgy crap you usually get for desserts at ME places. Very, very happy here.

Last edited by Rusty van Reddick; Jun 4, 2013 at 1:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 3:33 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Love Keffir Lime. Such wonderful food. My one and three year old love the food there.

Noticed yesterday that in the Birchwood Building (corner of 24th ave and Crowchild - angular lot) a new cafe has opened up called Postino. Looks like a neat little spot for a pre-hookup coffee before taking the elevator up to your 500 sq/ft condo

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 12:13 AM
not a NIMBY

NOtaBLE appies by LUMIN8, on Flickr

I finally tried Naina's on Ogden Road at Blackfoot. Place your order at the counter and then they serve the food at your table. My petite friend had the Philly cheesesteak stuffed burger special. She gave me a 1/4 of it to try. Very filling and tasty! I had a club and fries which I enjoyed. Coffee is included.

Naina's by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 2:39 PM
Round Head

New sushi place Kanpai on 8th beside Jelly Modern opened. Excellent! Menu looks a lot like places like Globefish, but the basic rolls and negiri are cheaper. Fish quality was outstanding, rice was about perfect. Nice space too.

Recommend.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 3:29 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
New sushi place Kanpai on 8th beside Jelly Modern opened. Excellent! Menu looks a lot like places like Globefish, but the basic rolls and negiri are cheaper. Fish quality was outstanding, rice was about perfect. Nice space too.

Recommend.
Good to hear as it's getting slammed on urbanspoon, probably by competing anti-shills (like the d-bags from Shigatsu who wrote bad reviews for Red Ember or the ones affiliated with the Indonesian resto in Forest Lawn posting bad reviews of Kaffir Lime... this happens ALL THE TIME on urbanspoon because unlike Yelp, which has its own problems I know, it's permissible to write one review, post it, and never post again. At Yelp your reviews aren't public until you post something like five.) I took a look at the menu and it looked great, Japanese staffed too.

Mr Sub on 14 St between 12 and 13 Ave SW is becoming a Mucho Burrito! I love Mucho

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 4:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post

Recommend.
Nice! I'm hoping to see more ground level office to retail conversions in the near term along 8th as there's still a lot of potential along this street in that sense.

Ric's grill and Mimi's Italian Grill also both recently opened at ground level of Centennial facing north.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 7:19 PM
not a NIMBY

Golden Bell (17th Ave) charbroiled chicken sate. If I was sentenced to eating this every day for the rest of my life, I would die happy!

pho by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 3:54 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Had lunch at Kanpai a couple of days ago. Agree with Wooster's assessment! Delicious well-made sushi at a good price. My only beef was that the chicken karaage, which is described as "boneless" in the menu and which is indeed traditionally boneless, was chicken wings. Bone-in. They were good but not what I wanted. Still, great lunch, 6 beautiful pieces of nigiri, one avocado-cuke roll (big) and an order of the unexpected chicken wings were $20, which is pretty amazing for that much a la carte sushi.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 5:12 PM
not a NIMBY

Free pig at Wurst this afternoon.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 5:20 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimby View Post
free pig at wurst this afternoon.
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 6:44 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?
they are roasting a pig for their 2nd anniversary.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 4:00 AM
BANNED

Sign up for another new Frozen Yogurt place on 17th. This one is called Menchie's and will be opening right next to Freak Lunchbox. Based on a quick google search, it looks like a similar self-serve concept as Tutti-Frutti.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 5:35 AM

Damn, I want Pinkberry.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 1:56 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Sign up for another new Frozen Yogurt place on 17th. This one is called Menchie's and will be opening right next to Freak Lunchbox. Based on a quick google search, it looks like a similar self-serve concept as Tutti-Frutti.
Haven't been to a Menchie's yet, but according to my 6 year old and 4 year old nephews it is awesome. I also love Tutti Frutti.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 5:36 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Damn, I want Pinkberry.
Why? It's not self serve, is too sweet and IMO isn't nearly as good as Tutti Frutti.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 5:38 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

There's a Menchie's by Northland (the plaza with Starbucks) as well as Qoola now open in Market Mall. New Tutti Frutti opening soon in Marlborough Mall. It took too long for self-serve weigh and pay froyo to come to Calgary but it's here and it's growing fast.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation